Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Musical Theatre Tracks

Posted 08-18-2014 19:54
    We are doing our first musical this year.  Our stage is in an MPR and because our acoustics are terrible and other reasons, we have decided to use tracks instead of attempting an orchestra that will only drown out our singers.  I found one karaoke-type CD but it only has 13 songs on it, so it is not comprehensive.  I found two companies online that create background tracks.  The first one sounds like an orchestra but is about $850, the second is midi files so it doesn't sound as great but is half the price.  Does anyone have any experience with either of these companies, or have other suggestions of companies that provide this service or a comprehensive track CD?  (Currently the strongest contender for the show is Bye Bye Birdie).  Thanks!

themtpit.com

Trax4yourshow.com

-------------------------------------------
    Debbie MacKinney
    Theatre Teacher, CTE Technical Theater, Troupe 7334 Advisor
    Tanque Verde Unified School District
    Tucson AZ

• 2.  RE: Musical Theatre Tracks

Posted 08-19-2014 10:27
     Some companies have performance tracks you can purchase when you do the rights to the show. We did Aida: School Edition last year through MTI and got a performance cd for $500. It was pretty good quality and was ours to keep. That's not always the case.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Musical Theatre Tracks

Posted 08-19-2014 23:28
    Hi,

I've had great success with mptpit. I would also suggest aztecshowtrax.com. Email/call and talk to a rep from both. Explain what you are looking for, size of house, who is running the tracks, and negotiate with them on price. 

Krista Carson Elhai
    California
    Claremont CA

• 4.  RE: Musical Theatre Tracks

Posted 08-23-2014 10:19
    Hey Debbie, 
         First I understand the struggle, and it is real. I performed in a MPR for 8 years before they built our theatre space. Secondly, Do you have a clavinovia or an electric piano with a USB port?  If you do, play the Midi files through the piano, it will give you a MUCH different sound, and it will be a full sound that will allow you to control dynamics and tempo.  If you want to test it first, what I would recommended is email the company and asked them for a sample midi file so you can hear what it sounds like through your instrument.  Most will do it, or if you can get it off the internet.  

Hope this helps,
    Good Luck!

Isiah Harper
    Fine Arts Department Head
    Columbus GA

• 5.  RE: Musical Theatre Tracks

Posted 08-24-2014 07:53
    We have used The MT Pit for the last few years.  Pros and cons:

PROS
    -I have been impressed with the quality of their tracks.  
    -They will send rehearsal CDs ahead of time (which have the watermark "rehearsal tracks" spoken every few seconds).  Then they will rent you an SD card player a couple weeks ahead of time to play back the tracks for your performances.  The easiest thing I've found is to download their app on an iPod.  Then they will send the tracks directly to your iPod.  It's a very responsive app as far as hitting cue points, etc.
    -They will make edits (cuts/vamps, etc.), transpose keys, etc.

CONS
    -They are expensive, and they charge for extras as well.  With the amount you pay for the tracks, they should throw in the cost of making edits, shipping, etc. for free.  

We just shake our heads at the cost, but still end up using them.  Their tracks are first-rate and really add a lot to our productions.  I'd still rather have it this way than have the show suffer from the downfalls of a pit made up of high school musicians who, through no fault of their own, simply haven't developed the skills necessary to play the lead parts on a professional level score.

Mike Morris
    Technical Director
    Harrison OH