Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The Lost Boy

Posted 09-30-2017 23:12
    Looking at producing The Lost Boy by Ronald Palillo. Has anyone done this play for a festival with time constraints. If so, where did you reach out for cutting privileges.

------------------------------
    Juniper Wallace
    Theatre Director
    Brandon MS

• 2.  RE: The Lost Boy

Posted 10-01-2017 19:27
    Juniper,
    We did this show for a one act play competition. The family has approved a one act adaptation. They will not allow you to cut any further even if you beg...which I did!! It could not be done in our 40 minute time constraint without sounding like chipmunks on speed. We built in a bail-out point, but it was still too long. The publisher kept telling me that the family believes if you pace it correctly you could do it in 40 minutes. Absolutely not true.

Sent from my iPad

• 3.  RE: The Lost Boy

Posted 10-01-2017 21:52
    Thank you!
    So, what did you do? What was the time limit on your one-act competition? Our read through (without staging) was well over 50 minutes. Even the publishing company rep said it ran about an hour. Did you contact the family directly?

Juniper Wallace
    Theatre Director
    Brandon MS

• 4.  RE: The Lost Boy

Posted 10-01-2017 21:53
    I just re-read your post and saw that you had a 40 minute time limit. Did you end up producing the show for competition?

Juniper Wallace
    Theatre Director
    Brandon MS

• 5.  RE: The Lost Boy

Posted 10-02-2017 08:39
    No, I never contacted the family directly. The publisher was in close contact with them. I emailed the rep several times telling him they were going to ruin children's lives etc....laying it on thick trying to get them to relent , but they never would. Our time limit was 40 minutes. We had to build in a point where we could skip to the end to avoid going over time. It was skipping the Wendy scene. It such a great story; it's a shame they won't be reasonable.

Sent from my iPad

• 6.  RE: The Lost Boy

Posted 10-02-2017 17:05
    Did you not have a submit "proof of permission to cut"? Our state requires proof of permission. And doing that would essentially be breaking the rules. This is terrible and sad.

Juniper Wallace
    Theatre Director
    Brandon MS

• 7.  RE: The Lost Boy

Posted 10-03-2017 08:19
    ​There is already a one act version that is cut.

Candice Corcoran
    Kennesaw GA

• 8.  RE: The Lost Boy

Posted 10-03-2017 10:34
    The one act version is 35 pages which translates to a minimum of 55 minutes (if you're speeding through it). The family will not allow any further cuts to the script, unfortunately. I was hoping we could make it work, but it won't. Our first read through was well over our 45 minute time limit. It's terribly disappointing.

Juniper Wallace
    Theatre Director
    Brandon MS