Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The Miracle Worker Food scene!

Posted 01-11-2018 12:38
    We are rehearsing The Miracle Worker and I'm wondering about props for the breakfast battle between Helen and Annie.  We'd prefer not to use glass, but want the show to be as period authentic as safely possible.  Wondering what others have used in this scene?

Kathy Dorgan
    OHS Theatre Director
    English Department

• 2.  RE: The Miracle Worker Food scene!

Posted 01-12-2018 09:49
    My favorite trick when doing this scene was to include a salad made of shredded green sponges -- just great for minimizing or scooping up the amount of liquid that lands on the table.

------------------------------
    Douglas "Chip" Rome
    Theatre Consultant
    Educational Stages
    Burke VA

• 3.  RE: The Miracle Worker Food scene!

Posted 01-13-2018 21:09
    I bought plastic glasses at Party City that looked like Glass.  We used a few dressed as makes and Percy and Martha to clean up quickly.  We used a tarp painted like a rug at competition so we could catch the mess when on someone else's stage.  We used beef jerky or precooked bacon.  We only had scrambled eggs for one end of table.  The rest had puffed corn.  Biscuits were slider buns.  Dog loved eating the left overs!!  The working pump was our challenge.  I still have ours.

Carol Gebert
    teacher, director
    Celina OH

• 4.  RE: The Miracle Worker Food scene!

Posted 01-14-2018 09:06
    We use heavy plastic glasses and Corell dish ware. For scrambled eggs we used crumbled Sara Lee pound cake. It did not stain like eggs would. The crumbs were easy to clean up.  For the pump we used a suction pump set in a large heavy plastic basin full of water. No need to run a hose. 
    thumbnail image

Kate Costello
    Theater director
    Arlington Heights IL