Open Forum

View Only

Students Dropping Shows

• 1.  Students Dropping Shows

Posted 01-19-2019 17:47
    This is my fourth year as the director of my school's theatre program.  Each year, I have had students who auditioned and received a role drop the show because they didn't want an ensemble role.  This is more of a problem in the musicals because with the straight plays, I generally have to cut several people as there are only so many roles.  On their audition form, I have the students indicate if they would accept an ensemble role and even then, sometimes students who receive ensembles roles drop the show despite the fact that they indicated that would accept it.  I have also had students (and parents) say that they feel I only cast the same kids in the lead roles.  As a director, I have to choose the best kids that fit the roles, despite the fact that some students might get their feelings hurt.  This means that yes, sometimes certain students get cast in more prominent roles in multiple shows.  A football coach isn't going to put a weaker player in the position of quarter back just to be "fair."  I don't want to discourage students, but at the same time, not every kid can carry a lead role.  How do you deal with these situations?

------------------------------
    Jennifer Gunther
    Teacher
    Colerain High School
    Cincinnati OH

• 2.  RE: Students Dropping Shows

Posted 01-20-2019 07:14
    It's definitely an issue that folks don't always want a small part and I do get some of that year to year but my students all know they are going to get a fair shake though. I don't always cast the best people in the roles. For one act competition, sure. In other shows, no.
    I see high school as a chance for students to have growth opportunities. If the same kids are always the leads, hey great for them but what about the others who haven't really had the chance to step up and really show what they're made of? By casting this way and taking that chance I've seen some truly remarkable growth from my students in being able to hold a leading spot. Now yes, I'll also have understudies just in case something does occur. 
    What also makes it great and that those students who would usually be a "lead" get the experiences of many other parts and become more rounded and I manage to avoid anyone getting big egos. It's also better preparing them for the competitive theatre world out there. 
    Thus my only problem is usually folks dropping out due to many other conflicts. (It seems to be really hard to get a sport to share a student sometimes.)

Jason Lehman
    McDonough GA

• 3.  RE: Students Dropping Shows

Posted 01-20-2019 08:18
    I have had similar experiences with students refusing to accept ensemble roles (and in some cases featured or secondary roles). I had included questions on the audition form that asked students if they were any circumstances (casting or otherwise) that would result in students not participating in the show. Like you, I felt students were not answering honestly and some were outlining the casting conditions for their participation. This year I eliminated the question  altogether and included language on the permission form that says that outlining casting conditions for participation in the show is contrary to the goals of creating a cohesive ensemble and will not be entertained. I also included on the permission form language that says that students are expected to accept the role they are assigned. When I post the cast list they have to initial next to their name to indicate that they saw the list and that they accept their role. No one has quit this year. Students were still disappointed, but they handled themselves better.

Nancy Lomas-Reynolds
    Program Director
    Voorhees High school
    Glen Gardner NJ

• 4.  RE: Students Dropping Shows

Posted 01-20-2019 08:48

Both problems are common, especially when one is new to a school. For the problem with kids dropping the show when cast in the ensemble, consider selecting shows with  flexibly sized but really active ensembles. When, as a new contractor, I thought I was going to have this issue, my first two shows were "Seussical" and "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.". The first year, kids dropped right away and then, when told by the ensemble members how much stage time they had in the show, asked me if they could have their parts back. I held firm and didn't let them return. The next year, the same thing happened with far fewer students. By my third year it was never a problem again.

Suzanne Katz
    Washington DC

• 5.  RE: Students Dropping Shows

Posted 01-20-2019 10:34
    Hi Jennifer,

I have to echo Jason here. If you are receiving accusations of always casting the same students, you might want to review your casting practice. When I was teaching, I had an explicit policy of rotating my leads. A student having a lead in one show would not get one in the next. This opened up the possibility of playing leads to many more students and gave the top performers the experience of playing a variety of roles and a better understanding how the overall ensemble works. Just to give the extreme example. I taught Christina Hendricks and she only got two lead roles in her time with me despite being one of the finest performers I have ever directed. I was also very specific with my students that the purpose of educational theatre is to educate. I told them that education was the joker in the casting deck and that I would sometimes cast in a particular way for an educational purpose. A certain student might need to play a certain type of role in order to round out her educational experience.

Also, consider your use of the football analogy. What's the purpose of football? Winning games. (Of course, many of the great high school coaches I have known would argue that they are also developing responsible young men and team players.) What is the purpose of educational theatre? Is it doing the best show possible? Is it crushing the opposition at the theatre festival? Is it introducing students to all the myriad possibilities of theatre? Is it developing a well rounded person who could go on to be a next generation theatrical artist, or educated consumer of the arts? Some combination? 

I rarely had a student drop a show. I had a few talk about dropping, but when they discussed it with me I would point out that dropping a show would affect my opinion of their reliability when making future casting choices. For example, I had two freshman girls drop my Midsummer Night's dream. One never came back. The other came back and played bit parts for two years (proving her reliability) before getting a lead her senior year. She went on to major in theatre in college.

Things to think about. Please message me if you would like to chat.

Best of luck with your program.

Bob

Robert Smith
    VA Co-Chapter Director
    Retired
    Centreville VA

• 6.  RE: Students Dropping Shows

Posted 01-20-2019 11:11
    Apparently, this was an issue before I started at my school in 2016. I instituted what we quietly refer to as the “Diva Rule” regarding dropping shows. If a student drops between the audition and the posting of the callbacks, there is no penalty. We assume that the student either decided they were in over their heads or couldn’t overcome stage fright the way that they could. If a student drops after callbacks are posted, but before casting, they may not participate in the next show. If a student drops after casting, they may not participate until that part of the next season (drop Spring Musical, you may not participate in the Student Showcase, the One-Acts, The Fall Musical and the Winter Play). Since then, we’ve only had 2 students drop, and both of them were seniors (who felt they had nothing to lose). Fortunately for us, the drop happened within a week of casting, so we were able to replace them pretty easily.

“Even when the dark comes crashing through-
    when you need a friend to carry you-
    when you’re broken on the ground-
    you will be found.”
    -“Dear Evan Hansen."

Disario, Jodi
    Drama/English teacher and Director
    Willow Glen High School
    jdisario@sjusd.org
    www.msd.school

• 7.  RE: Students Dropping Shows

Posted 01-20-2019 11:38
    Thank you for the feedback.  I do want to clarify a few things.  My spring show is Peter and the Starcatcher.  I did not double any of the roles and I added an ensemble so that I could have a larger cast than the traditional 12.  I wanted to allow more students an opportunity, and due to the ensemble nature of the show, all cast members have a significant amount of stage time.  With the exception of two boys (I have a shortage of boys in my audition pool) all of the students who are playing major roles have previously had ensemble roles or smaller/bit roles in other productions.  I have had several instances where a student who had previously been cast as a lead or larger role dropped a show later on because they were cast in the ensemble.  I have also cast students who had never auditioned before in lead/prominent roles because they were the best for that role, including a freshman who landed the lead in a musical one year.  In my current show, I have 10 students in the cast that I have never had in a show before.  Three of the new students dropped the show because they didn't want an ensemble role.  One additional student who had been in previous productions dropped for the same reason.

Dropping shows tends to be more of a problem with musicals than with straight plays.  While I understand in giving more students opportunities, with musicals, the students cast in the specific roles, especially if they have a solo, have to be able to sing the part.  Not all of the students can.  In high school, I was always in the ensemble for the musicals because I didn't have the vocals to pull off larger roles.  I know Peter and the Starcatcher isn't a musical.  However, the students who were cast as Peter and Molly, while being cast in other productions, have not held a lead role previously.  Both have had supporting roles.  They were professional.  Showed up to rehearsals.  Were on time.  Accepted constructive criticism.  And learned their lines/blocking by the deadlines I set.

I guess I just need to find a way to better communicate to the students the importance of having a strong ensemble and that students do "work their way up" so to speak based on their performance and commitment.  I only put on two shows a year, a full length play (which usually has a small/medium cast) and a larger musical (or in this year's case, larger ensemble play).

Jennifer Gunther
    Teacher
    Colerain High School
    Cincinnati OH

• 8.  RE: Students Dropping Shows

Posted 01-20-2019 12:09
    I forgot to mention that, like most of you, on the audition form, I ask students what roles they would like to be considered for, what roles they would rather not be considered for, and what roles they would refuse, if offered. This year, I had 3 who said they would refuse if offered ensemble. Two of them ended up with Jesus and Pilate. The other would have been ensemble. I contacted him before I posted to ask if he was firm on that stance. He said yes, and I explained that he would end up cut from the show then, as he had been cast in the ensemble. He decided to drop. I didn’t penalize him at all because he was honest on his audition form.

“Even when the dark comes crashing through-
    when you need a friend to carry you-
    when you’re broken on the ground-
    you will be found.”
    -“Dear Evan Hansen."

Disario, Jodi
    Drama/English teacher and Director
    Willow Glen High School
    jdisario@sjusd.org
    www.msd.school

• 9.  RE: Students Dropping Shows

Posted 01-20-2019 14:30
    I, of course, have the same problem.  I double cast and sometimes triple cast to give more people the opportunity.  I do not rotate - I cast who is best of the role.  I never want to put anyone on stage who can't handle the role.  Life lesson - not everyone gets what they want.   I often times have leads on their off night in the ensemble.  I also have the Diva rule as well - if you drop before posting - no worries - after then you can't do the next show.  On my audition form, I have two check boxes 1) I will accept any role including ensemble.  2) I want to talk to the Director about casting.    I did not want to encourage asking for lead roles - but this makes them have a discussion with me.    I also have a talk with the last years cast and tell them not to expect anything - new show new roles. Last year's Elle Woods and Warner from Legally Blonde are in the Ensemble for Addams Family.  Not because I rotate leads but because I cast who was best for the role at the audition.  I also have a panel of people to help cast – and I video tape the callbacks so parents can see the reality of Susy and Johnny's talent – if they complain.    Also, I audition them one on one but then the call backs are done in groups of the role they are singing or reading for – this way they can see for themselves who should get the role.  Now – none of this is foolproof – but it has reduced the number of students dropping the show or asking for leads.

Ted Curry
    Pleasant Hill CA

• 10.  RE: Students Dropping Shows

Posted 01-20-2019 16:12
    I always cast 5-10 people more than I need because I know about that many will drop. Most of the time, it's not that they didn't want ensemble, it's that they've never done a show before and didn't realize what the time commitment to rehearsals is like, and it conflicted with whatever sport they were in. But, for the issue of people dropping simply because they don't want to be ensemble, like has been mentioned, I also have them list the roles they would prefer, the roles they don't want, and if they would accept ensemble. I also have a bit of a "heart to heart" with everyone at the beginning of auditions with everyone auditioning and explain that just because you don't get a lead doesn't mean that you aren't talented or that I don't like you, it just means that someone else fit the role in the way that worked best with the other characters that I cast. In addition, I verbally state that just because you had a lead before doesn't mean that you will get a lead this time, so if you won't be able to commit to the rehearsals unless you have a lead, please let me know now before I cast. I assure them that I won't hold it against them if they won't do ensemble, because I understand that it's a huge time commitment and they have other things that they're doing. However, they should know that if they don't land a lead, that means that they aren't in the show at all. I tell them that ensemble is a really great way to interact with other actors and build a family bond, which is something that I've worked hard to create in my department, and if they accept ensemble, I expect them to accept it with a positive attitude, and I reserve the right to pull them from the show if they choose not to have one. Long story short: I not only put it on my audition forms, but I also verbally tell them what my expectations are and that they'll be considered whether they say they'll accept ensemble or not, and I won't hold it against them if they say they won't accept ensemble. Also, I over cast knowing I'll lose kids within the first 2 weeks of auditions because they didn't realize how much work being in a show is. :)

Petra Pearce
    San Antonio TX

• 11.  RE: Students Dropping Shows

Posted 01-21-2019 06:21
    I echo what others have said, I have it in the audition form that they are auditioning for A part in the play, not a specific part, and that by auditioning they are agreeing to accept whatever part they get. I also personally verbally state this at the audition workshop. It has cut down on drops dramatically. I now get one drop every year or two (you are not allowed to take part in drama club events for a year if you drop).  I also agree completely with you that the best kid for the part should get the part, and sometimes that means that the same kids keep sweeping up the leads for a few years and sometimes that means your leads rotate depending on shows. While I understand the idea behind rotating leads for "fairness", it seems to me like it opens you up to even more accusations of favoritism (in addition to the chance, as someone else mentioned, of setting a kid up for failure), because what criteria are you using then to pick the lead? I use a casting panel, and they have to come to consensus about every part, usually the leads are the easier parts, two kids stand out and it is the rest of the parts that become tricky - I cannot imagine how late we would be there if we were trying to decide who else to give the lead to since the kid who clearly should be the lead will not be because they already had a lead... I cannot imagine what criteria we would wind up using (having already given  talent, their audition, and our own opinion about who is best for the part short shrift). Ideally it would be next best audition, but in my experience, next best is often crowded, so lines can get blurry. My hat is off to those of you who make this work somehow, I will stick with the simplicity of best person for the part gets the part.

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 12.  RE: Students Dropping Shows

Posted 01-22-2019 09:51

We have had a small increase in students dropping shows over the last 5 years as well.  We too have initiated a policy with consequences for dropping a show after its cast. This has helped lessen the number I think

I do have a few ideas that help that "spread the wealth" sub discussion on this thread. 
    1. We cast our entire season of three main stage shows through one casting process.  This has several advantages:
    • By casting all of the shows at one time it allows us to consider the performance opportunities for the year of each of our students at the same time.  This way we can often give opportunities to other actors who can effectively play a larger role in one show and a supporting or ensemble position in another show.
    • We have all of the stress and "drama" once and then move on.
    • We have more rehearsal time and pre-production planning time because we know the cast of each of our shows at the beginning and don't have to waste time waiting for another round of auditions.
    • Students who aren't cast in the winter or spring shows have plenty of time to consider other school activities that may conflict with theatre or can join the crew
    • Students view an entire season of casting at one time allowing them to see some success and some disappointment at the same time.
    2. We were also able to increase the number of shows we can do in a year, decrease stress and make class time more meaningful by making some productions co-curricular learning opportunities of our theatre class.  While we still have the large "spring musical" open to any student at our school, we also offer other productions produced from advanced acting classes.  This allows us to really focus on selecting material to create learning opportunities for students in our classes and naturally spreads the wealth.  This is accomplished because students are generally in one theatre class, not two.  Thus students are encouraged to work on technical areas of shows that their class is not performing in.  I found a significant increase in student enrollment in theatre classes and also in the quality of their class work when they were working towards something everyone was going to see.

Hope these ideas are helpful!
    John Whapham

This email and any attachments contain information that is, or may be, covered by state/federal student privacy laws or electronic communication privacy laws and it may also be considered confidential and proprietary in nature. This email and any response to it may constitute a public record, and therefore may be made available upon request in accordance with Ohio public records law (ORC 149.43).

If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the sender that you have received this communication in error and then immediately delete it. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

• 13.  RE: Students Dropping Shows

Posted 01-21-2019 16:49
    I won't rehash what has already been discussed, but I will throw something "new" in. It might work for someone else...

My window for people to drop is usually the first week of rehearsal(or at least the first few days if the rehearsal period is shorter). If a student doesn't get the part they want and they look at the calendar and can't commit to the rehearsals, then I think it is fine if they bow out gracefully.  Some students and families, really have to weigh things out, and can't do that until they know what part they have. For some students getting a job might be a better use of time for their family if they don't get a particular part. My students know the importance of an ensemble and not taking an ensemble part MIGHT prove that-- they know how well an ensemble needs to be able to work together and they don't want to be the one that doesn't work well with others. If a student decides not to do the show in the first week, they didn't "quit," they decided their time and energy would be better spent somewhere else. 

I do always "overcast" my ensembles, expecting  a few people to find something more aligned with their level of commitment, but I haven't had a lot of that in the last four or five years. I guess I will have to reconsider that tactic. In the end folks who have put their time and energy in another project keep me updated on how it is going (I ask and they volunteer)  and also show up on opening night to support their peers.  All students deserve the same amount of grace we would want if we got offered a job and decided to take another(at least I think they do). 

Break all the legs,

J. Harvey Stone
    Teacher/Director
    Williamsburg VA