Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  She Kills Monsters Rating

Posted 03-11-2020 07:48
    Hi, all.  We open SKM YA edition on 4/3.  As we put together the show posters, I want to give the audience some sort of heads-up regarding the content.  I have seen some schools label it PG-13, while others gone with "Mature audiences only."  Any thoughts on this?  I think PG-13 covers us, but I also don't want it to be a deterrent.  I'd appreciate any advice you would have.  Thanks.

------------------------------
    K Lang
    Ticonderoga NY

• 2.  RE: She Kills Monsters Rating

Posted 03-12-2020 11:42
    We did SKM last year. I put on all of our advertising "Viewer discretion advised this snow contains mature themes and may not be suitable for all audiences." I didn't want to put an age on it and let parents decide for themselves if it was ok for their kids. It must have worked because we didn't get any complaints! Which was surprising cause the year before we did Peter and the Starcatcher and got complaints about that one? Anyways hope this helps!

Jordanne Bradley
    Estes Park CO

• 3.  RE: She Kills Monsters Rating

Posted 03-12-2020 12:56
    I wonder if it helps to provide a parental advisory with a bit more info - something like "This play contains some mature language and is suitable for students aged 12 and older."

Or something similar.

• 4.  RE: She Kills Monsters Rating

Posted 03-19-2020 07:31
    Good morning all,

I like it Jordanne. I would just stay away from ages. A lot depends on the child's upbringing. I would also publish the statement on the website and at the box office. We just did The Addams Family and used the mature audience line.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 5.  RE: She Kills Monsters Rating

Posted 03-20-2020 21:44
    How about a link (or QR code) to the publisher's blurb about the play, or better yet, to some reviews of it?

Douglas "Chip" Rome
    Theatre Consultant
    Educational Stages
    Burke VA
    http://bit.ly/EdStages
    http://bit.ly/RWTEOview