Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  fitting the arts into the master schedule

Posted 11-01-2018 16:31

Hello all -

I'm Director of the Arts at a PreK-12 school, where the master class schedule has been the bane of the arts program for many years. With a new building coming on line in two years, we are finally talking about revamping the master schedule, and this is my chance to effect change. I am writing to see if any of my colleagues in this forum have been through this process and if you might have any ideas or suggestions or resources I could turn to so I can be a more effective advocate for my programs. How do you fit a reasonably broad selection of arts classes into a packed master class schedule in a way that supports healthy enrollment?

If you have any ideas to share, feel free to post a comment, or contact me offline at rosenthalstuart@ehillel.org.

If this subject interests you, here are some more details on what we're up against:

HIGH SCHOOL

• While we have 1300 students, there are no more than 90 students per grade level. If we were a school with 250 per grade, enough kids would make it through the scheduling obstacle course that we'd be able to run decent sized classes, but as it is, it's a small group to try to pull from.
    • It's a school that takes college placement very seriously, so there is a major focus on Advanced Placement, STEM, and advanced foreign language classes, many of which only have one or two sections, scattered throughout the schedule. When students have to choose between AP US History, Chinese 3, and a technical theatre elective, all of which are offered just once in the schedule, guess which draws the short straw?
    • While we manage to fit NINE periods into the schedule (classes go to 4pm each day), we are a parochial school, and students are obliged to take two periods of religious education classes in addition to their other classes. Between this and the AP's and such just mentioned, most students have just one free period to devote to an elective.
    • Arts courses are the last classes that are fit into a student's schedule. "Okay, Zoe, we've got you in all the proper sections of English, math, science, history, foreign language, seminar, and religious studies. That leaves you - let's see... Period D free. Acting? Oh that meets Period H – sorry."

MIDDLE SCHOOL

All 275 or so MS students have to take an arts class, and can currently choose between band, orchestra, and visual arts. Classes are organized by grade level (Grade 6 Art, Grade 7 Art, Grade 8 Art, etc.) and there roughly two sections of each (15 kids per section). Each class meets just twice a week (it used to be four times, but now the other two they go to the new "multimedia maker lab" for extra STEM). There isn't a middle school drama class or chorus at this point. I am working to add these, but the other arts teachers are concerned about added competition for students. We do offer an afterschool Middle School musical, but given how late classes get out (plus other competing activities), many of these shows only have 10-15 cast members.

LOWER SCHOOL AND EARLY CHILDHOOD

Students in these grades get Studio Art twice a week for 30 minutes per visit, and General Music twice a week for 30 minutes per visit. Like the older grades, these kids have a hefty religious studies curriculum that must fit into the day along with the usual subjects, so the classroom teachers are loathe to give up any more time for art or music. Students interested in theatre can do the Lower School Musical after school, and many do (lots more than Middle School). I feel there is a major deficit of music opportunities for kids in grades 4 and 5, who should be already be singing or learning an instrument if it's something they want to continue with in Middle School. Making kids wait 'til Middle School to pick up a trumpet or clarinet for the first time drags down our entire program. I am wondering if we can somehow double the number of arts minutes in Grades 4 and 5, and perhaps have them choose an art or music track (including instrumental and choral), so that they're taking one discipline for 120 minutes a week instead of two for 30 minutes each.

But enough about us. What were YOUR challenges, and how have you gone about solving them? THANKS!

------------------------------
    Stuart Rosenthal
    Dania Beach FL

• 2.  RE: fitting the arts into the master schedule

Posted 11-02-2018 06:31
    I teach drama at a school very similar to yours (religious, college-prep, smaller, etc.). We fight the same battles. In the end, the high school fits drama classes in wherever the majority of the students who want to take it can actually attend (so, if 10 sign up for drama and 8 of them can fit it into their schedule during 3rd period, the principal moves drama to 3rd period). We actually offer drama, honors drama, costuming, and technical drama so if a student can't get into their first choice, maybe they can still be involved by being in one of the others. We also open auditions to the whole school so students who couldn't get into the class can still be part of the productions, and we have an ITS troupe for even more involvement opportunities.

For middle school, we offer "electives" the last period of the day. They can choose band, chorus, or drama. Yes, we compete for students and yes, drama "stole" many of the chorus and band students our first year, but I figure if your class is the best, you don't have to worry about it. So maybe it creates some unfriendly competition among teachers, but it also forces the teachers to up their game. When they step up to compete for students, the whole fine/performing arts department steps up. Maybe not a true win-win, but it kind of is if the overall objective is for the department--not the individual--to succeed. 

We haven't started drama in elementary yet, but we do create times where the high school students can go perform or teach drama games to them. We also try to bring in touring groups for their age group, and we're in the process of starting a summer drama camp for their age group. Would we love to teach classes in the rotation for that age? Sure! But we don't have the staff support so we're stuck at the moment.

Not sure if any of this helped, but I'm certainly following your thread because I felt like I wrote your description of our own school! :D

Maralie Medlin
    Director of Fine Arts
    Gaston Christian School
    Gastonia, NC

• 3.  RE: fitting the arts into the master schedule

Posted 11-03-2018 15:03
    I strongly recommend a course name change.  Stop teaching "Drama" and start teaching "Theatre Arts." I know that this may sound silly, but this simple change to our course catalogue has made a world of difference and more closely aligns with what our College Theatre programs are doing.

The "Drama" is the literature, the actual script, and includes plot, character, thought, scene, and dialogue. English students often study "drama" as they read and analyze playscripts. The Theatre, on the other hand, has a broader context which includes the "drama" but also addresses other elements including actors, the space, and the audience. We don't "do" drama, we "do" theatre and "theatre" is what we teach.

In addition, the word "Drama" currently carries a negative connotation - I'm sure you've heard of some awful or tense situation referred to as "so much drama!" - I like to eliminate that negative preconception from our program -we try to keep the "drama" out of our Theatre Arts program whenever possible - why start with negative?  

I

Jeff Bengford
    Performing Arts Chair & Theatre Director, Westmont High School
    Campbell, CA
    www.WestmontDrama.com

• 4.  RE: fitting the arts into the master schedule

Posted 11-04-2018 19:59

I totally agree with Jeff, and have an additional suggestion, Marilee.  

When I was still teaching, we submitted our newly revised curriculum to the MO Dept of Elementary and Secondary Education.  Our tech classes were called "Stagecraft".  They said "Stagecraft" was not  a Fine Arts class, and said it was a Practical Art class.

We did a "replace" in Word, and replaced "Stagecraft" with "Stage Design and Theatre Technology", which actually reflected the curriculum more accurately.  The state not only ok'd the new curriculum, but they asked if they could use it as aa model for the rest of the state..  

So I'd replace "Technical Drama" with another name.  Feel free to use any or all of our renamed class.

Bob Fowler

Co-Developer:  Practical Technical Theatre Instructional Programs

• 5.  RE: fitting the arts into the master schedule

Posted 11-02-2018 07:20
    I have a couple of thoughts on this. First some background on me: I teach in a single high school county. We have one middle school and two elementary schools. We have suffered similar issues (arts gets the short straw and especially drama). Here are a few things I've done to help alleviate the pain:

1. Advocate for STEAM and NOT STEM. Success in the real world today requires the soft skills that the "A" brings. To be literal- they're not bringing their A Game without the "A".

2. Add Drama to the MS and ES curriculum if you can. On the ES level this can be something that meets only once a week. Without exposure kids WILL NOT pick Drama later in school. The only kids who will are the ones with parents who have provided that exposure. You're robbing them of an opportunity when you don't include it in the curriculum at all. We JUST got a full time theatre teacher at the MS last year and it has changed my enrollment at the HS exponentially.

3. Create Dual Enrollment theatre. In the world of weighted classes the unweighted elective class gets left in the dirt. We offer DE Theatre History. In your case you might want to consider waiving a religious class if they take DE Theatre History (or create a DE elective called Religious Studies in Theatre or something akin to that). That way they get the best of both worlds. Religion has a lot of history in relation to theatre and it's super interesting to discuss in class.

4. Consider "stacking" classes as we like to call it. It's less than ideal at times- but it is possible to teach upper level acting and technical courses together. Because I do this I am able to teach Theatre I, Historical Acting Styles, Playwriting & Directing, Studio Acting & Advanced Directing, Technical Theatre I, Intermediate Technical Theatre, Advanced Technical Theatre & Design, Studio Theatre Design, Musical Theatre I & II, and DE Theatre History in only 8 class periods. The only classes I don't stack are Theatre I (unless a student is taking a Theatre Independent Study- which means they are interested in teaching theatre so they are in the class with me helping me teach it). It's asking a lot of the teacher- but it can be done.

Victoria Kesling Councill
    Chapter Director - VA EdTA/ Virginia Thespians
    Theatre Director- Fine & Performing Arts Department NKHS
    Artistic Director - NKHS Trojan Theatre
    Artistic Director - Kent England Exchange Production
    Virginia Commonwealth University BFA Theatre Education, BFA Art Education '08
    University of Houston - MA Theatre '16

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art." - Konstantin Stanislavski

• 6.  RE: fitting the arts into the master schedule

Posted 11-19-2018 03:19
    For Catholic & Religious Schools, call it STREAM, R=Religion, the buy in from admin is easier since the R is represented

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine School
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone