Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  ethnic studies theatre course?

Posted 04-07-2021 21:41
    Hi everyone. I'm in the very beginning stages of creating a new theatre course with an ethnic studies focus and I was wondering if any of you teach a course like this already? My idea is to look at theatre as a means of creating revolution, building bridges, and social change. We'll study agitprop, teatro campesino, theatre of the oppressed, etc. and I also want my students to create culminating performances of their own. If you teach an entire course like this, I would love to see your curriculum. 

Thank you in advance!

------------------------------
    Kaila Schwartz
    Theatre Arts, Director
    Milpitas High School

• 2.  RE: ethnic studies theatre course?

Posted 05-27-2021 14:15
    Hi Kaila, 
    I was just asked by my admin to create an ethnic studies course for juniors. I'm in a HS in NYC. I wonder if you got any suggestions, or even if you want to collaborate on that. Please let me know. Here is my email: tgiannoccaro@schools.nyc.gov and cell 402 6602183. Hope to connect with you. 
    Thank you!
    Thais

Thais Giannoccaro
    NYCDOE - Office of Arts and Special Projects

• 3.  RE: ethnic studies theatre course?

Posted 04-06-2022 08:06
    Hi Kaila,

I am equally interested in your process and collaborating. I'm a new high school Theatre Arts teacher at a young Performing Arts High School, I'm building curriculum from the ground up. It's a daunting task, so, being able to collaborate and observe the process would be very beneficial for me. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Rebecca Lustig
    Westinghouse Arts Academy Charter School
    PA

• 4.  RE: ethnic studies theatre course?

Posted 04-05-2022 13:43

Hi Kaila,
    I'm wondering how you did with this course-writing process? Did you collaborate with Thais? If you did make progress, would you be willing to share?
    Thanks,

Summer

Summer Heartt
    Theatre Arts - Teacher/Director
    American Canyon High School
    American Canyon, California, USA