Open Forum

View Only

Great Interview Questions for a Theatre Director Position?

• 1.  Great Interview Questions for a Theatre Director Position?

Posted 06-11-2016 12:07

Good Morning,

I will be sitting in on the interviews to hire a new high school after-school drama director for our upper  school.  (I am the Middle School Drama Teacher/Director.)  Up until this point, I have only been the candidate in the room interviewing for drama jobs - though luckily the last time I had to do that was 10 years ago.  Since I will be the "expert" in the room, I want to make sure that I ask the questions that will give me and the other interviewers an idea about their skill set, philosophy, etc.  If you were going to hire a drama colleague, what would you want to ask?

Thanks for you help!

Ginny

------------------------------
    Ginny Schreiber
    Forest Ridge School
    Bellevue, WA

• 2.  RE: Great Interview Questions for a Theatre Director Position?

Posted 06-11-2016 13:24

As our Performing Arts Department Chair I have been in a few interviews over the last decade or so.  My favorite question is..."If you had a dream ensemble and no financial constraints what 3 shows would you want to produce at the high school level and why?"  The answers are so informative on many fronts.  You get to know their personal passions, their understanding of working with high school students, their depth of content knowledge, etc... 

A few years ago I asked our candidates for Choral Director to select 3 concert pieces.  One person couldn't think of any choral piece but finally offered the Hallelujah Chorus because it's really big and important.  She was super sweet, but not yet ready to take the helm of a high school Choral Department.  The other end of the spectrum was the person who selected three widely different pieces and talked about how he could see that being a spring program.  He outlined the educational value of his selections.  Spoke about his passion for specific types of music that led him to choose one in particular.  Then his observations on what young singers love and his reasons for choosing another piece.  The third he selected to balance out the performance for the audience.   Very informative!

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 3.  RE: Great Interview Questions for a Theatre Director Position?

Posted 06-11-2016 22:06

I'm not a teacher, but I've worked with a lot of directors and served on a committee to hire an artistic director for a theatre company, so here's my five-cents' worth...  :-)

I like Amy's approach. It tells you a lot about them. To that, I would ask them to tell me about shows they've directed in the past and how they went over in terms of attendance, student involvement, parental support, audience response, and similar things. Have they directed plays, musicals, or both? Do they have favorites, and why?

I would also ask how they approach selecting a play, researching it, analyzing the script, casting it, making choices during rehearsals, working with the cast on characterization and motivation, making the play relevant, and working with the design and production teams. How long do they typically rehearse a play or musical?  

Then I'd go for the jugular: what's your biggest challenge when mounting a production?

Hope that helps a bit.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 4.  RE: Great Interview Questions for a Theatre Director Position?

Posted 06-12-2016 14:37

All excellent comments!  I'd like to add:

1.  Carefully check any materials the interviewing teacher brings in.  If a candidate's resume' focuses on personal acting roles or tech achievements instead of what they've done with students (experienced teachers), that's a possible red flag.  Candidates fresh out of college should focus on their student teaching, and college projects that are student centered.  The last thing you want is someone who is teaching just to pay the bills until he/she "gets that big break" in professional theatre.

2.  Ask about how they would help build, or try to reinforce a strong technical theatre program.  Being a tech guy, that was a top priority when we interviewed for my replacement when I retired.  Strong tech helps build a stronger overall program, and gives non-performance kids a chance to achieve and be a respected member of the program.

3.  Consider having 2 of your best senior students (1 performance, 1 tech) sit in on the interview for a part of the interview, and allow them each 2 questions to ask the potential teacher.  Pay attention not only to the answers, but how the candidate relates to the students.

Hope you find a great teacher!

Bob Fowler

• 5.  RE: Great Interview Questions for a Theatre Director Position?

Posted 06-13-2016 16:21

You have received some great suggestions. I'd like to add one more thought. All of our final round candidates are required to teach a lesson to a class. If the interview is taking place in the summer students are gathered up. This has been very beneficial when looking at potential band, choral, and film teachers as their interactions with students is important to assess. 

We also always include one student on the interview panel, as well as a parent of an alum for any position where a teacher will work with students and parents outside of a traditional classroom setting.

Krista Carson Elhai
    Theatre Director
    Claremont HS
    An International Baccalaureate World School
    Claremont CA

• 6.  RE: Great Interview Questions for a Theatre Director Position?

Posted 06-19-2016 14:16

Bob Fowler's suggestions are terrific (as always).  If this is not a new teacher, I'd ask why they want to leave their current job.  Or why they left their last job.

The focus needs to be on student growth.  When you narrow your choices to a couple, you might consider invitingnthem in to teacha class with your students.

Good luck.

• 7.  RE: Great Interview Questions for a Theatre Director Position?

Posted 06-12-2016 17:00

Item #3 from Robert Fowler: YES!

Wish I'd thunk of it...  :-)

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 8.  RE: Great Interview Questions for a Theatre Director Position?

Posted 06-13-2016 10:22

Hello,

I would ask any candidate (for almost any position) about their vision for the program. The answers might surprise you. Also, one of the questions I was asked when I had applied for a chair position, was what was the most valuable lesson I had learned from my students. In the end it's about them, isn't it? Make sure the candidate has a sense of humor :).

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 9.  RE: Great Interview Questions for a Theatre Director Position?

Posted 06-13-2016 12:30

Great questions so far! I'd add in:

1) Questions about what the student roles will be in all types of productions, not just the main stage. Is there a possibility of students being part of the production crew or even directing?

2) If competitions are a part of your program you may want to ask specific questions about preparation, auditions, and the ability to prepare students to compete in a variety of categories.

3) Is there a booster club? If so, what experience does this person having in working with parents in this type of environment?

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 10.  RE: Great Interview Questions for a Theatre Director Position?

Posted 06-13-2016 22:28

I was being interviewed for my current position about a year ago. Toward the end the retiring director of the program asked, "What would you say to a student who thinks they want to to do this for a living?" That tilted the room.

James Lapan
    Drama Director
    Kennedy Catholic High School
    Burien WA

• 11.  RE: Great Interview Questions for a Theatre Director Position?

Posted 06-21-2016 09:20

HAhahahhahahahhahaha

I LOVE the response about asking the Candidate, "What would you say to a fresh graduate who wants to pursue this as a career."

#crying!

Donalda A. McCarthy
    Tweets @MissDonni
    IG @IntlTheatreTeacher

Theatre Education
    Palm Beach Lakes High School
    West Palm Beach, FL, USA

• 12.  RE: Great Interview Questions for a Theatre Director Position?

Posted 06-14-2016 10:34

I love everything that's been so far, especially asking about three shows, no financial constraints. I might also add, though, that many times, a drama teacher has to support the core teachers as well. Ask them how they could teach cross-curricular activities and what ways their class can build students up in the tested areas as well. I know as drama teachers, most of us resent state testing, but it is a reality and I have been asked in every school where I've ever taught to make drama "supportive of tested areas." 

Chelsea Petty
    Columbus MS

• 13.  RE: Great Interview Questions for a Theatre Director Position?

Posted 06-15-2016 07:36

I am sorry to be the voice of opposition, but I do not like the "three shows" question. It seems so arbitrary, subjective, and ultimately a question of aesthetics and personal taste. If asked that question in an interview, I would try to dodge the question because it is impossible to answer without thorough knowledge of the physical plant and the available talent.

Further, what happens if the interviewee mentions three shows that the interviewer just happens to dislike or has had a bad experience with int he past?

One can probably ascertain the same information by asking the interviewee to name three successful productions and to explain what made them successful.

A more useful question might be to ask the interviewer about his/her philosophy for selecting a show or season.

On a different note, I would want to know the candidate's philosophy about assessment in the classroom. 

Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    333 Rampart Avenue,
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

• 14.  RE: Great Interview Questions for a Theatre Director Position?

Posted 06-15-2016 09:36

Mark - all viewpoints welcome, no apologies needed!  I would like to clarify that I do not ask this in a gotcha way at all and I make it clear it is not for our specific location.  It's if you had your dream location, your dream cast and no constraints what would you do.  It is a random question, I want to know if the person I'm hiring to teach creative artists can think creatively on their feet and if they have enough knowledge about their subject more importantly their craft that they can pull three examples from their memory and speak to them.  It's not the only question by far, but I have found it gives a lot of valuable information about the ability of a candidate. 

With that said, I like the assessment question too.  Assessment is by far the most challenging thing we do, especially when we have to reduce growing an artistic mindset to a set of numbers that can be placed on a grade sheet.  

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 15.  RE: Great Interview Questions for a Theatre Director Position?

Posted 06-20-2016 10:01

When I was interviewed 16 years ago the question that I believe nailed it was "How do you approach tech week?".  I answered that first you start with a Paper Tech, and there was a noticeable reaction from the five people in the room.  Apparently my predecessor never did a Paper Tech and therefore there was a lot of wasted time at the Q to Q.  

I'm reading through these smart questions to put together a list for when I retire---8 years or so from now.  Asking about what shows to do is a tough one, and hard to answer on the fly in an interview.  If they told me to come to the interview with those shows I would have been able to after some thought.

The people who interviewed me were all the designers and directors, along with the VPA department chair.  That is what I suggest because those are the people you are going to be working with...I don't know about having students in the interview, I wouldn't do that but it's an interesting notion.

Cheers,

Valerie O'Riordan
    Drama Director, MFA, AEA #fftfellow
    Archbishop Riordan High School
    San Francisco CA voriordan@riordanhs.org

• 16.  RE: Great Interview Questions for a Theatre Director Position?

Posted 06-22-2016 23:57

Thank you for your input, everybody.  I am feeling much more confident about sitting in an interview with a bunch of Administrators and the HS Fine Arts Head (who is the art teacher.)  I am grateful.  I will sound much more confident and thoughtful because of you!

Best,

Ginny

Ginny Schreiber
    Forest Ridge School
    Bellevue, WA