Open Forum

View Only

Double-Standards with Athletics

• 1.  Double-Standards with Athletics

Posted 03-03-2021 11:10
    Hi all,

Is anyone else running across this issue? We were given permission to put on a socially-distant musical. Our school is split into two cohorts, meaning I only see the students every other day, and the cast will not get together until the very end of the process. This creates very long rehearsals for our choreographer and music director, who are left teaching the same thing twice to two smaller groups.

But fine, that's the deal we made. However! Meanwhile, the athletics department has been granted permission to mix cohorts and bring in their entire teams to practice (whether the student is in school that day or not), but the theatre department is told that is not permissible. 

My school tells me that this is because the athletics decisions are made by the state (and therefore our administration doesn't carry the liability) but this is just frankly annoying as hell.

I'm sorry to vent but I'm really frustrated by the double-standard, and I'm wondering if anyone else is dealing with this.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Scott Harris
    Theatre Director
    Rye Neck High School

• 2.  RE: Double-Standards with Athletics

Posted 03-04-2021 07:24
    Hi Scott,

Yes, we are dealing with this very thing! Instead of a socially distant musical we are doing a cabaret, but it's probably turned into more work than a virtual show would have been because I'm rehearsing all the students individually several times and then have to film all of the students to edit together into a final show. Anyhow, it's affecting not just the theatre program but the music ensembles as well. Performing arts were not included in the conversation about mixing cohorts which has been very frustrating.

We had a meeting with the Fine Arts Booster last night and the parents are going to write letters to the administration calling for equity between athletics and arts. Hopefully that will bring about some change.

Gretchen Midgley
    Theatre Director
    Bishop O'Connell High School

• 3.  RE: Double-Standards with Athletics

Posted 03-04-2021 08:10
    Hi Scott,

We are having the same exact problems! One of our coaches said in a minute that he didn't understand why a student was aloud to take an online course in the evening that interfered with his practices and if the student doesn't practice how can he be allowed in the game. WOW! Just WOW! Mean while I had a parent agree with me because my practices are interfering with her sons water polo and that I should be more responsible and make sure my practices for the play do not conflict with the sports calendar , after all they are a real activity this is all just for fun. I can go on and on with many, many, many theater teachers across the experiencing the same problems. In my experience the only way to get anything changed is the parents they have all the power. GET A MEETING GOING AND SPREAD THE WORD.

Sincerely,

Laura

Laura Rizzo
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Miami Country Day School
    Miami FL

• 4.  RE: Double-Standards with Athletics

Posted 03-04-2021 08:53
    Yep, we are dealing with a version of this too. So frustrating. The wrestlers can wrestle right now, the basketball teams (both boys and girls) can play but we have to wait until 4th quarter begins to perform the Improv Showcase we have been preparing since September. The double standard is ridiculous. The reasons I am given are because they have a state led governing body and we do not. I am told that arts are supported just as much as athletics, and in most years this is true, but not when it truly matters for these students. 

Thank you for letting me vent while responding to your vent! 

Julie Estrada
    Theatre Director
    Windsor High School

• 5.  RE: Double-Standards with Athletics

Posted 03-04-2021 09:20
    Does your state have specific guidelines for the performing arts? If so, I'd suggest taking these to the board of education and see if you can have this changed.

Crystal Hill
    Drama Club Adviser
    Clyde Senior High School

• 6.  RE: Double-Standards with Athletics

Posted 03-04-2021 10:05
    I have had this problem often through my years. This year, however, I looked the principal in eye and told him we needed the permission to practice together just as the athletes were doing. He hemmed and hawed a bit, but finally came back after a couple of days and said no more than 10, masked, and outside. We can work with that. Progress!

Ellen Di Filippo

• 7.  RE: Double-Standards with Athletics

Posted 03-04-2021 12:15
    I'm not a teacher, so I haven't had this problem. However, I've been reading about it for the past few years from a number of you who are. And Laura's comment from one of her parents, "after all they are a real activity this is all just for fun" really hit the nail on the head.

From what I've seen here over the past few years, the problem is in the perception of theatre by admins and parents. Somehow the concept that theatre (and related areas such as film) ARE totally legitimate career paths doesn't connect with them. When these admins and parents watch a movie or a TV show, they are watching a lot of people who started out in high school theatre. And there are lots behind the camera who also did. They are all making good livings (in some cases fortunes) in a perfectly legitimate career.

But many admins and parents cannot make the connection. And I have to believe that part of the reason is that the connection isn't hammered home more emphatically. 

I don't know the solution, but a few years ago I wrote a blog post about this, and you may want to check it out:

https://setdesignandtech.wordpress.com/2017/11/06/theater-and-sports-an-editorial/

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 8.  RE: Double-Standards with Athletics

Posted 03-04-2021 16:20
    The double-standard is real. I'm here to suggest something I'm doing that is helpful in regards to not having to double up the teaching efforts. My choreographer is teaching all of the dances via videos she's creating and posting to youtube. Then I share the link with the students in that number. We are only using the in-person rehearsals to work on the spacing and to answer questions. The expectation is that they will learn the dance choreography on their own prior to the spacing rehearsal. I'm fortunate to have all my students in school full time, but this is something I put into place to help reduce the amount of time we are in a space together during rehearsals and be more efficient with our in person time.

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    Louisiana Co-Chapter Director

• 9.  RE: Double-Standards with Athletics

Posted 03-05-2021 11:31
    Wow, that is complete $%#@. Luckily, my principal is a fine arts person, and we had no problem with rehearsing once the athletic teams were given the go-ahead. One thing that I did that may help is I made it clear to the parents that students would remain masked during all rehearsals and would only take their masks off during the dress rehearsal and the performances, and even then, only if they were comfortable - they were allowed to keep their masks on during the performances if they or their parents thought that was best.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 10.  RE: Double-Standards with Athletics

Posted 03-05-2021 15:02
    One of the things that has become abundantly clear during this pandemic is that the arts are badly in need of vocal supporters at all levels - school, college and beyond. We constantly heard about the poor athletes who could not play - until they could and then the coaches were congratulated for all their hard work in making it work! Meanwhile- the band students cannot play and the singers cannot sing and it was with great effort that my students managed to rehearse and put on a production of Midsummer following COVID protocols. At my high school the band and choir are  just now beginning to be able to play and sing. It is so hard to watch the struggles of my fellow teachers and my students for whom music is their life, at the same time listening to the athletes and coaches complain about the way they have to play their games with no spectators - at least they get to play!!!!  We really are a sports country and we need to find ways to support artists and get the word out on the importance of arts to all of our well being!

Cathy Archer
    EdTA Member or Troupe Director
    Rutland High School

• 11.  RE: Double-Standards with Athletics

Posted 03-06-2021 13:22

Two things - 1) athletic competitions take place in venues that have significantly better airflow than theaters do. We specifically reduce the velocity of airflow in theaters to reduce the HVAC noise. That's a huge concern when talking about COVID-19 and tips heavily in favor of athletics. 

2) IF they are looking for state leadership, who are the arts leaders in your state and what are they saying? If your school has a <1% risk according to the Georgia Tech Covid Risk map for the number of people you'll have in the room, it would be difficult to justify NOT gathering (while still wearing functional masks, hand washing -etc.) but if your risk is higher, the district needs to make that decision. No state - even Rhode Island - is small enough for a statewide mandate to be appropriate for all events at all schools in all areas. 

Kristi Ross-Clausen
    IATSE 470/Actors Equity
    Alliance for Wisconsin Theatre Education
    Stage Managers Association Board
    AVIXA/USITT
    Teacher, Author, Speaker
    Appleton, WI