Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Programming Question

Posted 12-08-2017 17:07

Hi all,

I'm starting to look at shows for next year (crazy, I know).  We do two musicals each year (I teach Musical Theatre courses) and I'm honestly looking at two shows by Irving Berlin.  Would it be weird to do "White Christmas" in the late fall/early winter, and then "Annie Get Your Gun" (Stone) in the spring?

For contrast, I'm thinking of "Our Town" for the school play.

Thoughts?

Mike Hancey
    Theatre Program Director
    Musical Theatre, Drama & Theatre Guild
    Theater Manager
    Laramie High School
    Past-President WYACDA

• 2.  RE: Programming Question

Posted 12-09-2017 07:53
    Irving Berlin just about defines the real beginnings of American popular music, in my opinion. I wouldn't mind two Berlin shows at all, either from the production or audience standpoint. The songs are tuneful and by-and-large recognizable, and many are just fun.

Continuing with the "opinion" thread...I think the stage version of WC is decidedly less wonderful than the movie, and depending on the general makeup of your audiences, it may disappoint that it's so different. Just my 2 cents from the Ohio back country. :-)

------------------------------
    Jax

• 3.  RE: Programming Question

Posted 12-09-2017 09:05
    I think this is a fine idea.  I would try to theme it as a celebration of Berlin.  2018 will be the 130 anniversary of his birth and 2019 will be the 30 anniversary of his death.
    I consider White Christmas a guilty pleasure of mine.  I see it every year.  In my opinion the biggest challenges to doing the show are having enough boys and having boys and girls that can tap dance.
    If your area is like mine, Annie Get Your Gun is rarely done, so great opportunity to introduce the audience to something new.
    Enjoy

Janet Cain
    Cincinnati OH

• 4.  RE: Programming Question

Posted 12-09-2017 10:47
    It seems like an unusual choice to do WHITE CHRISTMAS outside of the holiday season but I don't see why not. Other shows feature Christmas prominently in the plot and they are consistently produced throughout the year. ANNIE -- I'm looking at you!

Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning Center
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearn.org

• 5.  RE: Programming Question

Posted 12-09-2017 18:37
    A few years back, I did Caucasian Chalk Circle and Threepenny Opera in the same year. It worked fine and I don't think anyone found it strange. It was nice to be able that the students who were in Chalk Circle could do some Brecht education for the rest of the cast. 

That said, I am not sure I had a good for it other than wanting to do those two shows and I probably would not do it again. What is the value in doing White Christmas and Annie Get Your Gun other than the shows both appealing to you? And if you throw in Our Town, what is the overall audience experience? Is there a theme there?

William Addis
    Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Westtown School
    West Chester PA