Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Western musicals with few men?

Posted 05-22-2021 21:24
    I'm interested in a good western style musical for my school but we have a very female heavy group so looking for a show with either few male roles or roles that can be played by females. Any thoughts or suggestions? Also we typically have a cast size of about 30--
    Lisa Singleterry
    Portland Christian Schools
    Elementary Music & Band Teacher
    High School Drama Director
    Masters of Arts in Teaching

• 2.  RE: Western musicals with few men?

Posted 05-23-2021 10:24
    You might look at Crazy For You...but it does have a lot of both male and female roles.

------------------------------
    Jeannie Brzovic
    Mountlake Terrace High School

• 3.  RE: Western musicals with few men?

Posted 05-24-2021 08:42
    Take a look at The Will Rogers Follies. You need one great male and the cast is female heavy with flexibility. Great score and story with a "western" vibe. Good luck!
    GT

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Sidwell Friends
    Washington, DC

• 4.  RE: Western musicals with few men?

Posted 05-25-2021 12:46
    Love Will Rogers Follies. Students loved it. I am originally from Oklahoma: it was great to experience Oklahoma history with a student Dramaturge.
    A lovely educational theatre story-I sent the actor playing Will outside to practice rope twirling. Walked outside to find our theater custodian/plant manager twirling and teaching. Turns out the he was a rope twirling/lasso national winner as a kid in Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone
    Gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    Www.gaijones.com

• 5.  RE: Western musicals with few men?

Posted 05-24-2021 12:02

Hi.

You might try Quilters. It's about pioneer women, and it has an all female cast. 

All the best. 

Erik

Erik Stein
    Casting Director/Recruitment Coordinator
    PCPA Pacific Conservatory Theatre

Author of No Caution! A step-by-step guide to preparing auditions for Universities, Colleges, Conservatories, and Beyond!

Available on Amazon.com and other online booksellers

• 6.  RE: Western musicals with few men?

Posted 05-26-2021 16:06
    Hi Lisa,

I'm one half of the writing team of County Fair, a Country Hits Musical. The show follows two sisters, Claudia and DJ Stratford, who return home after their father's death to deal with their inheritance: a massive and beloved county fair in rural Georgia. It features tons of great country songs like "Redneck Woman," "Chicken Fried," "Thank God I'm a Country Boy," and lots more. Casting is flexible, calling for 9F, 5M, and 10 others of any gender, but several of the men could easily be gender swapped. We license the show through Broadway Licensing. Happy to talk more about it! 

Matthew Webster