Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Musical?

Posted 08-03-2016 01:17

Longtime follower, first time Poster...

This will be my fourth year as the Theatre Director at a urban school in Denver. Before taking on the position, the Drama Program was virtually eradicated due to low enrollment and low test scores. In three years, I went from one Drama class to last year having 3 full classes, and a stagecraft. I started very small but started rebuilding the program one season at a time. Last year we put on two main stage shows, one dinner theatre and a couple of showcases. Last year we did "Arsenic and Old Lace" for our play and "Grease" for our Musical. Both were a huge success. By the end of Grease we were almost selling out. While personally, I think Grease is not the best musical ever, I knew that it would draw an audience and a cast. That it did. 

This year I am at a loss for our Musical. We are still a very young program and at still at a pivotal place in our development. Here is my thinking:

Plays

Almost Maine- I have at least 5 strong Girls who would be very interested. 5 boys who have been in drama the past 2 year and can be directed, but there strength is physical or farcical comedy and a straight comedy or even dramatic comedy will be out of their comfort zone.

Lend Me a Tenor- Perfect for my Farce Boys

Musicals (This is where I am most lost)

In the Heights- Perfect timing for this Musical, as our community is dealing with Gentrification. We have a high Latino community. My Danny from last year is actually a rapper. 2 boys with amazing voices and 2 others that can match pitch. I have an amazing Soprano. I have 2-3 other decent girl voices. I am not sure I have two female star voices the show would need. The dancing scares me, but i think I could use resources in the community.

Guys and Dolls- This is well known and people would love to see it. I think Musically I could cast it. Our boys are strong and I have Sara and can character sing Adelaide's part. I worry about how big the show is just setting and dancing etc. I also really worry about orchestration. Grease had a small student band, Guys and Dolls looks crazy big. 

Thoroughly Modern Millie- Love this musical and it looks fun, but I worry the boy parts are slim and I have lots of talent (all relative...I have 2 good singers and 2 great singers). I also worry about the Tap element and the racial stereotyping.

So these are my ridiculous thoughts. . I need to draw a crowd and interest in the program. Any ideas, insights, advice would be welcomed!

Megen 

------------------------------
    Megen Gilman
    Theatre Director
    Denver CO

• 2.  RE: Musical?

Posted 08-03-2016 06:43

Great choices for plays. For farce with strong male roles, also consider Peter Shaffer's 'Black Comedy'. Very farcical, physical, and just super funny.

For musicals, there's a number of paths you could take. 'The Wizard of Oz' is another crowd-pleasing, audience drawing production that you could have some fun with (we had our Jitterbug boys double up as our stage hands, very physical and pretty funny flashes of comedy throughout).

'The Drowsy Chaperone' has some great roles for boys and girls. Not as 'well known' or recognizable a brand, but you could really try and sell up the farcical/comedic elements.

'Godspell' or 'Pippin' might be good options, unless you're in North Carolina. :) Both are faintly known outside a theatre milieu, and Godspell especially is a little 'free-er' with casting choices.

Good luck, and congratulations on your success in building a better program!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 3.  RE: Musical?

Posted 08-03-2016 11:07

I concur with Phillip's suggestions. A few more options:

Plays:

If you can create the set I'd recommend The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940 or Fools. Both were really popular when we did them and I was in a similar situation to yours when I arrived at my current school. I believe they are both a ten person cast (it's been a few years...)

Musicals:

Aida: School Edition - I sold the fact that it had music by Elton John and Tim Rice

SPAMalot had a lot of recognition (and we did it last year with about 10 boys)

I haven't produced this but... The Bomb-itty of Errors (yes, it's a rapped version of comedy of errors)...? It's on my script shelf and the kids like it. I skimmed it when I got it last year but haven't really looked in depth at it. No time et... :^(

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Musical?

Posted 08-03-2016 11:26

Look at Bombity of Errors a rap/hip-hop version of Comedy of Errors. I read it right after I did Comedy and saw how it really works. Lots of physical comedy and rap.

When I taught at a Catholic boys school we did Guys & Dolls with piano and a combo of band/wind instruments. Worked really well. G&D is one of my favorite musicals. 

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 5.  RE: Musical?

Posted 08-06-2016 00:39

Dear John,

Who owns the rights to Bombity of Errors? I've been trying to find it for years. Thanks for your help.

Carol Svoboda

Troupe 2106

Lincoln, NE

Carol Svoboda
    Theatre Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Lincoln NE

• 6.  RE: Musical?

Posted 08-06-2016 12:03

Samuel French handles Bombay of Errors.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 7.  RE: Musical?

Posted 08-04-2016 07:06

Doesn't meet the "rap" component, but I just did All Shook Up.  GREAT Elvis music.  Tons of great male roles.  Can make the ensemble as large as you like.  Fun costumes & sets!  Don't let Elvis fool you though.  The music is challenging, and the story of finding yourself/self-worth/acceptance is always appropriate.

I also second Guys and Dolls! (and I love In the Heights...)

Rain

Raenell Smith
    Speech, Theatre, English Teacher
    Clark Pleasant Community School Corporation
    Whiteland IN

• 8.  RE: Musical?

Posted 08-06-2016 19:09

There's no rap, but have you thought about Little Shop of Horrors?  You've got 4 decent male roles (Seymour, Orin, Mushnik, and Audrey 2) and then 4 strong female singers are needed (Audrey, Crystal, Ronette and Chiffon).  It's not a great show for an ensemble, but we utilized our ensemble in the opening and closing numbers as citizens of skid row, then had them doing various things throughout call back in the morning, closed for renovations, etc, etc.  We also cast different people as The Customer, Skip Snip, Mrs Luce, Mr Bernstein, and Patrick Martin.  The show was very successful and is the show I credit with turning our program around (like you, I took over a dying program).

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR