Open Forum

View Only

Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

• 1.  Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-20-2016 00:03

Good evening my fellow educators,

I'm writing you tonight with a heavy heart. I teach Theatre (three levels), along with my partner teacher, at St. Amant High in Ascension parish, Louisiana. My school is one of the schools that was affected tremendously by the floods which began on August 13, 2016. I have been teaching for 15 years and I just so happen to teach at my alma mater. Life is full circle, isn't it? I can't begin to tell you how much I LOVE my job and my school...but I'm sure most of you feel the same way. My principal sent an email to us today to consider everything in the school as a total loss. I haven't been in my classroom or on the stage since the flooding, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to face the loss of 15 years worth of work, memories, and resources. I'm asking for your prayers and thoughts for myself, my partner teacher, my school, my community, and my students in the weeks to come.

I also would like to make a request. If you have any materials you are not using anymore, older editions of textbooks, monologue/scene books, scripts, anything useful to begin to replenish our theatre library, I would be grateful for the donation. I'm not used to asking for help, but this is for my students, and I'd do anything for them. Please don't feel like you have to buy new items! Gently loved books are wonderful. Any thing else you might feel we could use would be appreciated as well.

I started at this school 8 years ago, right after my mother passed away. The theatre dept was small, only two classes. But I was determined to rebuild my program to its former glory and I believe we are well on our way! Both myself and my partner teacher are alumni and we have FULL theatre classes and schedules. We produce one musical a year, participate in local competitions, perform comedy sketch shows, produce 4-6 full length productions, and 4-5 one act plays per year. It's quite a task but our kids are worth it.

I am so thankful to belong to a professional organization which provides me with resources, ideas, and inspiration year round.  Thank you so much for reading this...hug your students a little tighter next week. :)

------------------------------
    Heidi Frederic
    Theatre Teacher
    St. Amant High School
    Ascension Parish School District
    Gonzales LA

• 2.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-20-2016 22:16

I am so profoundly sad for your loss. I can only imagine what it would be like to get that email. How or where can we send things?

Kandace
    Drama Teacher
    WA

• 3.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-21-2016 21:16

What terrible news! I hope that your students, their families, and your colleagues and their families are safe and well. I will be bringing this to the attention of our Thespian Troupe when classes start up in a week and make it a priority to put things together and send to you and your school. As someone else asked, please let us know an address which will be able to receive these items.

All the best to you,

Lori

Lori Constable
    Teacher; director of Drama
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN

• 4.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-21-2016 10:14
    Heidi, I put a copy of my book RAISING THE CURTAIN in the mail yesterday.
    I am sending admiration for the reach out for your students. I cannot imagine the loss.

Gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    Gai@gaijones.com
    Www.gaijones.com

• 5.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-22-2016 23:24

Hi,

I received boxes of script donations this summer and many of them are duplicates of titles I already have. Will send off as soon as you post the address to use.

Krista Carson Elhai
    Theatre Director
    Claremont HS
    An International Baccalaureate World School
    Claremont CA

• 6.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-21-2016 11:51

Heidi,

I'm in New Orleans at Mount Carmel. I would really like to help y'all out. My girls know what it means to lose everything. We will start a collection for your department. Could you send me a list of your needs? Kjacobs@mcacubs.org

Best, 

kristi 

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 7.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-21-2016 13:51

Hello, Heidi-

My heart aches for you and your kids...I truly cannot imagine starting over... but with help and support, you can and you will! Please post an address of where to send theatre-related things...I will be addressing my students tomorrow of ways we can help. Is there a list of top things needed? A webpage we can go to pledge our support?

Please let us know!

Cynthia Macioce
    Drama Instructor/Master Teacher
    Visual/Performing Arts, Chair
    Gahanna Lincoln High School
    Gahanna, Ohio

• 8.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-21-2016 15:48
    I will send books and plays (in addition to thoughts and prayers) - what is the best address?
    -Rob

• 9.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-21-2016 19:05

Heidi...

I have tons of scripts and books I am happy to send to you.  When you get "settled" please let me know where to send the goods.  I'm so sorry for your losses.

Janet Van Wess

Theatre Arts Director

Liberty High School

Hillsboro, Oregon

Janet Van Wess
    Theatre Arts Director
    Liberty High School - Troupe 6644
    Hillsboro, Oregon

• 10.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-22-2016 07:22
    I would love to send some books and a donation. Have you set up a website or perhaps a go fund me site so that donations are in one place and you can acquire exactly what you need as you need it? Please let us know!

Sent from my iPad

• 11.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-21-2016 21:30

I shared this with my students. We would love to raise money and purchase plays for your program. Please let us know the address.

Alex Moore
    Theatre Arts Director
    St. Louis MO

• 12.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-21-2016 22:53

Absolutely!  We will send theatre books. Tell us the correct address!   Betsy Bishop  Ashland HS Troupe 4630

Betsy Bishop
    Theatre Producer/Director
    Ashland OR

• 13.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-22-2016 09:41

Dear Heidi, 

Samuel French would love to help you. We are deeply sorry for the pain this has caused you and your school and would be more than happy to send a selection of actors' editions to you. If you don't wish to share a suitable posting address, feel free to contact me at lhaynes@samuelfrench.com

All the best, 

Lawrence Haynes
    Marketing Associate: Musicals
    Samuel French
    New York NY

• 14.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-23-2016 10:14

Heidi,

First, I am so sorry for your loss of equipment and space. After working so hard to build a program it must be doubly difficult to process. With that said, you are part of an amazing theatre community and we are compelled to assist with your rebuild. My specialty is costuming. I would like to offer free use of costumes you may need this year that are already built. Our program will cover the cleaning and mailing as well. I have many period pieces.

Please let us know how we can help. It is a privilege to help theatre in our schools, where ever they may be.

Jennifer Morgan-Beuchat
    Director of Theatre
    Leavenworth, KS

• 15.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-24-2016 09:52
    Heidi--
    I can't imagine the loss and grief. But, in the words of Irving Berlin, "there's no people like show people." I've been reading the posts and realize you will be getting a lot. Troupe 7620 in Monongahela, PA is kicking in too, as well as our band and chorus departments. In fact, we are getting a new middle school, and their program needs to downsize, so even our middle school is contributing. As soon as the kids get here tomorrow, we're on it!
    Hope all this helps to "smile when you are low." 
    Thoughts and prayers come with the donations. 
    Leslie

• 16.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-25-2016 12:27

Hi Heidi,

What is your zip code, please?

Also, my students are putting things together for yours today: I have a box of books (scripts, monologues, texts) but we thought about sending some costumes. Do you have a production in mind so we can focus our search?

Finally, what is the name of the best store down there you could use (to use for building sets, finding costumes, props, etc) as we would like to send a gift card.

If you would like any of my teaching materials (units of work, etc) please let me know and I would be happy to send those via email or hard copy.

All the best to you and your students and community.

Kind regards,

Lori Constable and Troupe 7789

Lori Constable
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN

• 17.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-22-2016 11:21

Hi Heidi,

TRW would be happy to assist your efforts to rebuild, and I look forward to communicating with you directly on this matter. 

Jim

Jim Hoare
    Vice President, Education & Community Initiatives
    TRW
    New York NY

• 18.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-22-2016 12:47

We are on board also.  Going to put together some books and costumes.  Please let us know when would be a good time to mail some boxes after you get this figured out and share the best address with us all. 

Thank you for reaching out.  I think it gives our students a very tangible way to feel like they are making a difference!

Debbie MacKinney
    Theatre Teacher, CTE Technical Theater, Troupe 7334 Advisor
    Tanque Verde Unified School District
    Tucson AZ

• 19.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-22-2016 12:54

Hello Heidi,

So sorry to hear that the school and theatre were lost in the flood.  While I don't have any materials to donate I would like to donate the Theatre Inventory Database Startup package.  It is a Theatre Inventory software to help you catalog your scripts, costumes, props, etc.  So as you are building your collection you can catalog items as you acquire new things so you know what you have and where you got them.  I know you are too busy right now to think about it but when you have a computer and the time to set it up let me know and I will send you the software and inventory tags/labels.

Best wishes,

Margaret Messick

Costume Inventory Resources

www.costumeinventory.com

Margaret Messick
    Davis CA

• 20.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-22-2016 13:38

Nashville went through a historical flood in 2010. I can relate to your loss.

My Thespian Troupe will be sending some nice things for you to use this year. Please share a list of needs. We can help on an even greater scale if we know some of the things you need.

Donnie Bryan
    Department Chair for Visual and Performing Arts
    Nashville TN

• 21.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-22-2016 15:35

Our hearts go out to you and your troupe, Heidi, along with all our friends affected by the floods in Louisiana. The International Thespian Society has traditionally reached out to help member schools that have been devastated by natural disasters, and we’re doing the same for Troupe 7701 at St. Amant High School and all affected troupes.

If you know of a troupe that has been affected, please contact our membership team at members@schooltheatre.org. We will waive their 2016-17 troupe renewal dues to keep the troupe active for the year. We’ll also do our best to connect them with vital resources, including our community of generous members and friends.

Julie Cohen Theobald
    Executive Director
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH

• 22.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-22-2016 18:03

I will talk about this with my students this week when classes begin.  Where would be a good place to send items?

Lisa Ronca
    Huxley IA

• 23.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-23-2016 06:42

So sorry Heidi! Please let us know your address so we can send you supplies and scripts.  

Christine Dougherty
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Delsea Regional School District
    Franklinville NJ

• 24.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-23-2016 11:30

Heidi

I too teach at my alma mater and cannot imagine the loss of our space and everything inside. I am meeting with my Thespian Board this afternoon and we will put together some materials.  Please post an address to where we can send support.

Seth

Seth Cohen
    Palos Verdes Peninsula High School
    Rolling Hills Estates, CA

• 25.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-23-2016 12:03

Heidi,

Dreher High School's auditorium was flooded last year, so we know how devastating this is. I'm sure my high school students would love to do something to help. Please send your contact information to my email. It's just my firstname.lastname@richlandone.org.

Best,

Kathleen Pennyway
    Theatre Teacher
    Dreher HS
    Columbia, SC

• 26.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-23-2016 12:27

Dear Heidi,

So terribly sorry to hear this, and YouthPLAYS would like to help. If you could reach out either through the board, to me offline through the site or via email at info@youthplays.com and let us know where to send them, we'll be happy to donate scripts.

Best,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 27.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-23-2016 12:53

Troupe 856 is in!  We are starting a care package.  Let me know where to send it.

The power of theatre is people telling a story.  The physical items (light, costumes, props, set, a stage) may assist in that storytelling, but it is the people and the story that matter.

With your passion, you and your students will tell fantastic stories this year!

Break a leg!

Bill

[William] [Myatt] [Director of Theatre]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 28.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-23-2016 17:07

Wow!  I started to respond to some of you individually, and then I've been pulled back into survival mode, as I'm trying to assist fellow teachers, students, and my elderly father who have lost their homes.  Our district is working quickly to find a temporary solution to house us in another school until ours is safe to return to.  I still haven't seen the facility and I'm not sure if I'm ready yet.  More than 40% of our district's homes were affected and the majority of those were in my school's area.  I have seen the best people doing some of the bravest things imaginable this past week and a half.  It has been an emotional roller coaster to say the least.

I thought I didn't have any more tears left in me until I began to read the outpouring of love, support, and well wishes from all of you.  I never expected to receive so much.  I am so humbled and grateful, it cannot be explained.  I was telling my husband about all of the support from all of you and he said he wasn't surprised.  He said, "People want to help.  Wouldn't you do the same thing?" I said of course!  I never imagined to be on this end but I am forever thankful for all of you, EDTA, ITS, and the theatre.  I found my home at my current school, on that stage, over 22 years ago, and it's what continues to fuel my fire every year.  All of you have reignited my flame to continue and to be strong for my students.  For that, I cannot say thank you enough. 

Right now, when they let us get into our rooms, whatever I can save I'm going to bring to my home.  If you see fit, and find anything of use to us, please send it to my home address.  Also, please make sure we can see the return address.  Although my mom is no longer with me, she would never forgive me if I didn't send out thank you notes.  She was a proper southern lady. :) 

My address is:

Heidi Frederic

14048 Gerry Kramer Road

Gonzales, LA 70737

My school email address is: heidi.frederic@apsb.org and another one is heidifrederic@gmail.com

Again, thank you so much for your thoughts, prayers, and kind words.  I will never be able to repay you, but this is the ultimate teachable moment for my family, my school, my community and my students.  And I promise, it will be paid forward...as many times as I can.  Love to you all!

Heidi Frederic
    Theatre Teacher
    St. Amant High School
    Ascension Parish School District
    Gonzales LA

• 29.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-24-2016 08:24

Heidi,

I think I speak for everyone who has volunteered to offer you assistance when I say your posts on this site already are your Thank you notes.  You have so much to handle right now, with all of the loss, the salvaging through what remains, preparing for the return to school, and the outpouring of donations you are going to have to process and organize, a proper note of thanks is not required.

As far as I am concerned you've already sent the formal thank you note and I appreciate it....and your mother would be proud. 

We want to help you and your students. None of us is doing it for anymore than a desire to support you and those amazing students in your school that need a little boost right now.

So, please, don't add to your busy and hectic life by trying to send formal Thank you notes. As far as I am concerned I know I will be thanked when you can put a smile on one of your students faces.

As I messaged you awhile back, I predicted this community would show up to help you.  I just knew that this theatre community would heed your call.  Although we are scattered all over the country we are as close as a community post away!

Continued good wishes and recovery for you and your students!!!

John Rutherford
    Rochester Hills MI

• 30.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-24-2016 08:59

So encouraged to see how quickly and generously the community at large has responded to your loss. What an incredible thing to see!

So sorry for your loss, but super encouraged at the support you're about to receive.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 31.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-24-2016 19:28

Hi Heidi

Here at NIU, our entire unit been displaced from our facility for three years and are entering our fourth, so we know exactly what it is like to produce theatre without a home.  At our all-school convocation last night, we made the students aware of your situation and there was an immediate outpouring of love and support.  Actors, dancers, stage managers, directors, playwrights, dramaturgs, designers, and technicians - all are beginning to go through their areas to find things that will help you out.  Also, if you can let us know your local hardware store of choice, I might be able to drop a gift card into the box as well to help your technical folks get some tools or supplies :-).

We will hang on to the box until you tell us that you have a place to put it, so you just let us know :-). 

All my best.

Tracy Nunnally
    NIU - Professor/TD/Area Head
    Vertigo - Owner/System Designer
    ETCP Certified Rigger/Trainer
    DeKalb, Illinois

• 32.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-25-2016 22:17

I concur with the earlier post; you have enough on your plate so please focus on that. You have already thanked us and perhaps honoring your mother's wish for politeness and manners has been paid forward by you countless times with your work amongst your students.

Best wishes to you all,

Lori

Lori Constable
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN

• 33.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-25-2016 17:42

Dear Heidi, 

I read your request on the Ed Theatre list, and the responses you have received from an array of members of the theatre community are so heartfelt and generous.  I am so impressed at the outreach by schools and professional companies, and I'd like to let you know that I will offer my services free of charge to those of your class of '17 students who may be pursuing majors, minors or other studies in the performing arts, who need help with their college lists and/or applications, as they are trying to put lives back together and college application deadlines are looming. 

I am an independent college consultant specializing in working with performing arts students (theatre, music, film, dance, musical theatre, technology, and so on). I live on Long Island and faced Hurricane Sandy's devastation, so I know something of what you are all going through. If your students can get access to their smart devices or computers we can set up Skype calls and I can help them with their college lists and their applications, and be a resource for them and their parents. 

Amy Goldin
    COPA Inc.: College Options in the Performing Arts
    www.performingartsoptions.com
    516-674-6116

• 34.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-26-2016 08:37

Heidi

I just now opened this amazing discussion.  So sorry to hear of your loss.  I do hope there remains pieces of your program that you can salvage.  Next week, when we return to classes, I will share your story with my students and we will construct a plan to help you out.  I know what 22 years of accumulated materials looks like.  This is my 23rd year and looking around while I type, I realize how many precious memories are evident everywhere.  I wish you well coping with this, and know my students will join me in sending you whatever we can to help in your rebuilding process.

-Molly Cornwell

Director, Hathaway Brown School Theatre

shaker Heights, OH

Molly Cornwell
    Shaker Heights OH

• 35.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-26-2016 09:44

Dear Heidi

I am sure you  are overwhelmed not only with the devastating loss, but also with the amazing number of people on this list serve willing to help. We are among them. My Thespian officers upon hearing of your plight began collecting plays and texts on the first day of school, not only from my 25 year collection, but from our friends in the local professional community as well.  I suspect after reading all these posts that you may end up with the most comprehensive play library in the country! Be sure to let us know where you prefer we send things.  and I second the suggestion that you let us know of your preferred hardware store. and perhaps contacts at any other LA schools that may be in the same situation.

hang in there

Janetta Davis
    Theater Program Coordinator
    Columbus School for Girls
    Bexley OH

• 36.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-30-2016 11:27

Dear Heidi,

Oh my.  So sorry that this happened to your wonderful Theatre program.

(Having taught Theatre in high school for 31 years I know how dependent the students are on

a library of one acts and plays to look through.)    

Please send me an address so that I can also send more plays to you and your students. 

Luigi Jannuzzi

Luigi Jannuzzi Educator & Playwright @ Samuel French
    Exhibit This! The Museum Comedies
    All The King's Women
    www.LuigiJannuzzi.com

• 37.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 08-31-2016 10:10
    Heidi,

I've been there myself after Katrina. For me, the overwhelming moment was finding all of our archives of posters & programs & designs disintegrating before my tear-filled eyes...irreplaceable mementoes.

But we recovered. Our budget was frozen, so we did Radio Theatre with free scripts found online or donated by the publisher & inexpensive black t-shirts I had printed & gave the students to wear for the show. Radio Theatre also kept them from needing to memorize while emotionally overwhelmed and got everyone home before the legal curfew at the time of 6PM. In the spring, MTI was generous enough to make us a deal and we did Fiddler with the entire set made of debris that had fallen in our neighborhood and invited our direct neighbors to see it. It was a very special production.

It was so important to get the kids back to work! It was their safe place & stable routine while they dealt with the "new normal" we were all facing at home and as a community.

It's also important to let them see you deal with the stress/disappointment/anger in a healthy way, so cry those tears, throw things into the dumpster with all your might... Remember to take care of yourself, too.

Books, props, curtains be replaced. Thank goodness you & your students are safe.
    Our thoughts & prayers are with you! I'm sure I can find some stuff to send you.

Kate Arthurs-Goldberg, M.A.
    Jesuit Philelectic Society
    New Orleans, LA

Sent from my iPhone

• 38.  RE: Request from Flooded School - Total Loss

Posted 09-01-2016 09:34

Heidi,

I am so sorry for your loss.  I have visited St. Amant High School and it is a great school!  I teach at Runnels School in Baton Rouge, we also lost everything.  Please email me and we perhaps we can get together and share resources.  My email is n.kelfstrom@runnels.org.  

I feel confident our community will recover from this, but for now, it is heartbreaking to drive around the area and see the destruction.  

Best,

Neena

Neena Kelfstrom
    Theatre Chair
    Runnels School
    Baton Rouge LA