Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Casting 39 Steps: Can it be larger?

Posted 07-14-2016 11:17
    Has anyone presented 39 Steps with a cast size larger than 4?  Is it possible to expand it to at least 12?
    Thank you,

Steven Woolery
    English/Theatre Instructor
    Ames High School
    1921 Ames High Drive
    Ames, Iowa 50010
    steven.woolery@ames.k12.ia.us

• 2.  RE: Casting 39 Steps: Can it be larger?

Posted 07-15-2016 07:53

I did the show 4 years ago with a cast of 10 (6 men, 4 women) but I know others have done larger casts. Theres a thread on this site from not too long ago with a number of responses to casting 39 Steps.

------------------------------
    Melissa Purdy
    Westminster High School
    Westminster MD

• 3.  RE: Casting 39 Steps: Can it be larger?

Posted 07-15-2016 08:52

This was a recent discussion topic if you need quick answers--- search "39 steps" in the search box and you should get the discussion replies- I think to "expanding cast of 39 steps" or something similar. Good luck!

Lindsay Hearn Brustein
    St. Stephen's Episcopal School
    Austin TX

• 4.  RE: Casting 39 Steps: Can it be larger?

Posted 07-28-2016 16:59

Short answer, yes.  Longer answer, I've seen the show with larger casts and thought the show lost some of the humor (not all, but some)

I went through a similar process with The Complete Works of Shakespeare abridged.  I did the show years ago with 15, then again with 3 main (and three supporting Bob's).  The smaller casts really helped bring to life the original concept of the show.  I am doing the 39 steps this fall, I am keeping it at four, though I am likely doing 1 male and 1 female clown.

If you're looking for that type of comedy with a larger cast. there are some out there.  What size cast were you looking at?

Alan Strait
    Teacher
    CCSD
    Henderson NV

• 5.  RE: Casting 39 Steps: Can it be larger?

Posted 01-11-2017 23:31
    I'm looking at this show right now, but like the original post, would like it to be a larger cast. Did you end up doing the show with expanded casting? Alan, you mentioned you had some ideas for other shows with similar comedy. I would love some ideas! I need to do a comedy this year but am feeling uninspired!

Colleen Lentz
    Speech and Drama Teacher/Director
    Cudahy WI

• 6.  RE: Casting 39 Steps: Can it be larger?

Posted 01-12-2017 08:50
    In High School, my teacher cast the double roles as different people. Although we didn't have as big of parts, it still was very fun. Annabelle, Pamela, and Margaret were all different people, Mr. Memory was a character, along with with different police parts. You can have fun with it and mix up different parts. I as the Compere/Cheif Inspector. 

Marisela Weber