Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Need help with shoe recommendations

Posted 10-22-2021 13:43
    Hello, friends. I could use some help in learning more about affordable resources for shoes. I know we can shop at thrift stores, eBay, and rummage sales for one-offs for a single character, but I'm always stuck when we need multiples of one kind of shoe, especially when it's NOT for a musical. (Example: ten kids need basic colored canvas shoes of the same color to be funny dwarves, or twelve kids all need basic black dressy shoes that look the same, etc.). I don't know much about character shoes, but I could use a primer about what to look for and pricing those from someone who has some experience. Our budget is not large, so if students are not dancing in them, does anyone have a great resource for really inexpensive shoes of the same type?  Thank you so much!

------------------------------
    Julie Hanisch
    English/Drama Teacher
    Mukwonago High School

• 2.  RE: Need help with shoe recommendations

Posted 10-23-2021 06:21
    Check with your band teacher. They often have catalogues with affordable shoes, sometimes character shoes, for bands, show choirs, etc.  Good luck!
    Debbie Corbin, retired

• 3.  RE: Need help with shoe recommendations

Posted 10-23-2021 08:44

Generally speaking I expect kids to purchase their own shoes … unless it's something they would never wear or use again (Lurch in The Addams Family for example). My philosophy is that if a student were playing a sport a parent would think nothing of buying the required footwear. So when we did Seussical and all of The Who's needed certain colored canvas sneakers it was up to them to procure them in the color that would suit their costume and that they would wear again. 

I also require female actors to have character shoes and all dancers to have jazz shoes when necessary for musicals. The character shoes we use in both straight plays and for festival competition wear and some girls use for choir performances also … I buy them through Discount Dance and with a teacher account you can get Theatricals brand for around $20 and Capezio for around $30 (pretty reasonable for a shoe that can in theory be used for multiple events for four years). I encourage the kids who plan to stay involved to get the Capezios as they hold up better. They are a great company to work with - especially if you take the time to set up a teacher account. 

Toni Thomas
    English Teacher, Theatre Director
    Ogemaw Heights High School
    MI

• 4.  RE: Need help with shoe recommendations

Posted 10-23-2021 09:06
    We have been fortunate that we sometimes have a student who has a part-time job at a shoe store.  They have served as a liaison with the store to purchase the items at a discount.  We got 2 pairs of Heeleys for Flotsjam & Jetsam because our piano player worked at DSW.

Right now, I'm fortunate that my own son works at a Famous Footwear and they allow a "friends and family discount" - and I have my own card to keep in my wallet. It's 30% off!

Even if you don't have a direct connection, you could reach out and ask a store manager to see if there's anything they can do to help you save money?

• 5.  RE: Need help with shoe recommendations

Posted 10-23-2021 10:24
    FYI, marching band may have  a line on some styles.

[William] [Myatt] [Director of Theatre]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 6.  RE: Need help with shoe recommendations

Posted 09-11-2022 10:48
    For unbranded stuff, nice stuff is available at the Hypermarkets like Local Carrefour and A-Mart, RT Mart e.t.c. something like Canada's Metro used to be. You guys can contact this online store for this purpose or for guidelines only

Frederick Harley