Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Hi All, I have been asked by my administration to conduct a summer improv camp for two different age groups, 10 - 12 and 13-14. I haven't done this before, any suggestions for some guidelines, structure, books, etc. I would greatly appreciate the advice. Thanks!

Posted 05-02-2016 09:08

Tina Tutt
    Middle School Drama Teacher and Theatre Director

To ignite and nurture student curiosity, intellect, and character
    336 Ernest Rice Lane | Franklin, TN 37069

• 2.  RE: Hi All, I have been asked by my administration to conduct a summer improv camp for two different age groups, 10 - 12 and 13-14. I haven't done this before, any suggestions for some guidelines, structure, books, etc. I would greatly appreciate the advice. Thanks!

Posted 05-02-2016 09:42

The Drama Teacher Academy course on improv, coaching improv, and Laban work is great! Highly recommended.

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Hi All, I have been asked by my administration to conduct a summer improv camp for two different age groups, 10 - 12 and 13-14. I haven't done this before, any suggestions for some guidelines, structure, books, etc. I would greatly appreciate the advice. Thanks!

Posted 05-03-2016 07:34

I hate to be that guy pushing his own thing here, but a few months ago I published a book with this exact info.

Theory, Warm-ups, Challenges, Performance Structure, and yep - how to run camps and workshops for multiple age groups - including grades 5-8 (my school hosts a middle grade improv camp).

I've run an improv competition for high school students for the last 15 years, and taught improv for 20 - so I tried to include the pitfalls and tips for success as I've experienced them.

I hope it can be helpful for you!

Absolutely Everything** You Need to Know about Teaching and Performing Improv

Amazon remove preview
    Absolutely Everything** You Need to Know about Teaching and Performing Improv

View this on Amazon >
    Trace Crawford
    Hilliard Davidson High School
    www.hilliarddavidsontheatre.com
    www.tracecrawford.com

• 4.  RE: Hi All, I have been asked by my administration to conduct a summer improv camp for two different age groups, 10 - 12 and 13-14. I haven't done this before, any suggestions for some guidelines, structure, books, etc. I would greatly appreciate the advice. Thanks!

Posted 05-03-2016 07:55

Two books I love for Improv are Theatre Games for the Classroom by Viola Spolin and Improv Ideas by Justine Jones and Mary Ann Kelley. Also, there are a lot of free resources at CIG Online Training Resource there are warm-ups and games and videos on the basic skills. The first time I taught a summer camp in Improv I had memorized a whole bunch of the games and I had lists of ideas of things to play so that if a game or exercise wasn't working that day I could just work my way down the list. Good luck, I'm sure you will have a lot of fun!

Improv remove preview
    Online Training Resource
    It's how your scene looks and feels: Staging Players effectively stage a scene firstly by making sure everyone is seen and heard. Good staging makes use of the stage space creatively and engagingly. Players will make deliberate choices when moving on stage and create environments through physicalization, mime and/or soundscapes.
    View this on Improv >
    Sarah Mahoney
    Theatre Teacher
    Lower Canada College
    Montreal QC

• 5.  RE: Hi All, I have been asked by my administration to conduct a summer improv camp for two different age groups, 10 - 12 and 13-14. I haven't done this before, any suggestions for some guidelines, structure, books, etc. I would greatly appreciate the advice. Thanks!

Posted 05-03-2016 08:28

I highly recommend having your students download "The Amazing Improv Generator" app. It has lots of great random prompts.

Best,

Matt Ludlam
    Instructor
    Flower Mound TX

• 6.  RE: Hi All, I have been asked by my administration to conduct a summer improv camp for two different age groups, 10 - 12 and 13-14. I haven't done this before, any suggestions for some guidelines, structure, books, etc. I would greatly appreciate the advice. Thanks!

Posted 05-04-2016 13:40

Thank you all so much for all the great suggestions!

Tina Tutt
    Middle School Theatre Teacher'
    Middle School Theatre Director
    Battle Ground Academy
    Franklin, TN