Open Forum

View Only

Glowing Eyes Effect for TRAP

• 1.  Glowing Eyes Effect for TRAP

Posted 10-11-2018 14:14
    Anyone who has done TRAP by Stephen Gregg: how did you achieve the glowing eyes effect that appears on cue ? Thank you in advance.

------------------------------
    Charles Clute
    retired
    Chatham MA

• 2.  RE: Glowing Eyes Effect for TRAP

Posted 10-12-2018 09:02
    I'm also interested in this. We've been experimenting with tiny LED lights on a thin copper wire with little success. Contacts don't present bright enough results.

Cynthia Scherer
    Teacher
    Spearfish SD

• 3.  RE: Glowing Eyes Effect for TRAP

Posted 10-12-2018 11:00
    ​This is a Halloween hack but it makes effective eyes. Use a toilet paper cardboard, cut eyes in it, and put a small light inside. Cover the ends with dark paper. For Halloween I used glow sticks but they wouldn't work for this. A small remote-controlled light or corded light would work.

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 4.  RE: Glowing Eyes Effect for TRAP

Posted 10-12-2018 13:12

Olathe South HS did TRAP at ITF last summer.  I believe they used some sort of novelty eye glasses (perhaps they were eyeglasses with LED lights at the top corners used to illuminate close-up work). 

Mark Quinlan

Theater Director, Head Speech Coach

Centennial High School

763-792-5099

finearts@isd12.org

• 5.  RE: Glowing Eyes Effect for TRAP

Posted 10-13-2018 13:26
    I posted a question about how to do this about a year and a half ago. People had lots of great suggestions. In the end, we went with Stephen Gregg's suggestion. He thought we could create the look with simple reading glasses that have lights at the corner. He suggested buying them at Walgreens or CVS. We found that they were too expensive for all the cast members. We also wanted our plants in the audience and our ushers to have the red eyes. With a cast of about 20 on stage for the fake curtain call, plus the teacher, plus the audience plants and ushers, we needed over 30 pairs of glasses per night. 

Going back to Stephen's suggestion, I looked for a cheap way to get the glasses. I found them at this link: Fashion Led Reading Glasses Night Reader Eye Light Up Eyeglass Spectacle Diopter Magnifier Presbyopia Night Vision Goggles Reading Glasses Women Semi Rimless Reading Glasses From Vivian5168, $130.66| Dhgate.Com
    DHgate remove preview
    Fashion Led Reading Glasses Night Reader Eye Light Up Eyeglass Spectacle Diopter Magnifier Presbyopia Night Vision Goggles Reading Glasses Women Semi Rimless Reading Glasses From Vivian5168, $130.66| Dhgate.Com
    DHgate.com is the online shop with wide selection of fashion led reading glasses night reader eye light up eyeglass spectacle diopter magnifier presbyopia night vision goggles free shipping reading glasses women semi rimless reading glasses sport reading glasses by vivian5168. Great quality at low prices!
    View this on DHgate >

We used red gel over the lights. The trick was cutting the gel and taping it to the glasses in a way that allowed you to fold the up and put them in a pocket. All the plants and the ushers had to have the glasses ahead of time and no one could see them until they stood up in the aisles in the dark in the last scene after the curtain call. All the actors had to get the glasses when they went off stage before the fake curtain call.

i was afraid it wouldn't work, but the reaction at our school and at ITF was well worth the work. We had trouble finishing our dialogue because the audience went so crazy at ITF. Definitely plan for a crazy reaction and have plans in place to control the audience.

David Tate Hastings
    Olathe South High School
    Thespian Troupe #5006
    Kansas Thespians
    Treasurer & Membership Chair
    913-481-1868

• 6.  RE: Glowing Eyes Effect for TRAP

Posted 10-25-2019 16:52
    I don't suppose you still have those glasses and could ship them to me if I paid for it? I ordered from DHGate almost a month ago, our dress rehearsal is Tuesday, and there is no sign of our glasses, nor a valid tracking number. I don't want to pay $9 each on Amazon.

Elizabeth Campbell

• 7.  RE: Glowing Eyes Effect for TRAP

Posted 10-26-2019 22:23
    Our glasses took about a month to arrive. It made me nervous.

Unfortunately, I no longer have any of the glasses. I gave them away to other schools that asked about them.

David

• 8.  RE: Glowing Eyes Effect for TRAP

Posted 10-26-2019 22:25
    Well, I got nervous and ordered the expensive ones. I will try to pass them along if I get double what I need! Thanks.

• 9.  RE: Glowing Eyes Effect for TRAP

Posted 10-27-2019 18:22
    Hi Elizabeth,
    If you need to unload any glasses, I'm doing Trap at the end of February and I'd buy them of you. I have a cast of 22.

Nancy Moran
    Drama Instructor
    Los Altos High School
    Los Altos CA

• 10.  RE: Glowing Eyes Effect for TRAP

Posted 10-27-2019 18:28
    I would love to since I now have paid for 140 pairs of glasses!

• 11.  RE: Glowing Eyes Effect for TRAP

Posted 10-28-2019 22:09
    We just discovered that puffy (fabric) paint works GREAT for the LED lights on the glasses.

• 12.  RE: Glowing Eyes Effect for TRAP

Posted 11-08-2019 07:47
    Nancy, we are done with our show and I have plenty of glasses. email me at ecampbell@almaschools.net, and we'll discuss.

Elizabeth Campbell

• 13.  RE: Glowing Eyes Effect for TRAP

Posted 10-13-2018 13:27
    I posted a question about how to do this about a year and a half ago. People had lots of great suggestions. In the end, we went with Stephen Gregg's suggestion. He thought we could create the look with simple reading glasses that have lights at the corner. He suggested buying them at Walgreens or CVS. We found that they were too expensive for all the cast members. We also wanted our plants in the audience and our ushers to have the red eyes. With a cast of about 20 on stage for the fake curtain call, plus the teacher, plus the audience plants and ushers, we needed over 30 pairs of glasses per night. 

Going back to Stephen's suggestion, I looked for a cheap way to get the glasses. I found them at this link: Fashion Led Reading Glasses Night Reader Eye Light Up Eyeglass Spectacle Diopter Magnifier Presbyopia Night Vision Goggles Reading Glasses Women Semi Rimless Reading Glasses From Vivian5168, $130.66| Dhgate.Com
    DHgate remove preview
    Fashion Led Reading Glasses Night Reader Eye Light Up Eyeglass Spectacle Diopter Magnifier Presbyopia Night Vision Goggles Reading Glasses Women Semi Rimless Reading Glasses From Vivian5168, $130.66| Dhgate.Com
    DHgate.com is the online shop with wide selection of fashion led reading glasses night reader eye light up eyeglass spectacle diopter magnifier presbyopia night vision goggles free shipping reading glasses women semi rimless reading glasses sport reading glasses by vivian5168. Great quality at low prices!
    View this on DHgate >

We used red gel over the lights. The trick was cutting the gel and taping it to the glasses in a way that allowed you to fold the up and put them in a pocket. All the plants and the ushers had to have the glasses ahead of time and no one could see them until they stood up in the aisles in the dark in the last scene after the curtain call. All the actors had to get the glasses when they went off stage before the fake curtain call.

i was afraid it wouldn't work, but the reaction at our school and at ITF was well worth the work. We had trouble finishing our dialogue because the audience went so crazy at ITF. Definitely plan for a crazy reaction and have plans in place to control the audience.

David Tate Hastings
    Olathe South High School
    Thespian Troupe #5006
    Kansas Thespians
    Treasurer & Membership Chair
    913-481-1868

• 14.  RE: Glowing Eyes Effect for TRAP

Posted 10-14-2018 09:10
    Thank you. David !

Charles Clute
    retired
    Chatham MA

• 15.  RE: Glowing Eyes Effect for TRAP

Posted 10-27-2019 07:52
    We just ran into the same problem - either too expensive, or too long to arrive.  We got a bunch of costume glasses from Amazon, and a bunch of red LED finger lights.  It is going to be a significant duck tape project, but the glasses and lights were both fairly inexpensive and came in two days.  The added bonus according to my cast is that we can (with copious duck tape) position the lights closer together, more like real eyes.  They don't look pretty, but they are only used in the dark, so it doesn't matter.  We've assembled one test pair, and it looks good.  If you can find cheap frames without lenses, it would be even easier.

Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Lincoln MA

• 16.  RE: Glowing Eyes Effect for TRAP

Posted 10-29-2019 07:36
    I am presently rehearsing TRAP and purchased 100 pair of glasses from dhgate.  $104 with no shipping fee.  It does take a couple of weeks for delivery.  We used nail polish to color the LED lights we wanted to change. It worked well with 2 coats.  Actors are having a great time with the show.

David Kramer
    Mt Sinai NY

• 17.  RE: Glowing Eyes Effect for TRAP

Posted 10-29-2019 08:43
    Nail polish is a brilliant idea!! 

We used gel. It was difficult to tape it on the lights in such a way that the glasses could fold up, and do that the light underneath didn't show through. Great idea!!! 

David Tate Hastings
    Olathe South High School
    Theatre Educator 

• 18.  RE: Glowing Eyes Effect for TRAP

Posted 10-29-2019 14:22
      |   view attached
    We were going to use the reading glasses for our production, but the shipping times and quality from China made me hesitant.  (I had ordered one pair to test and light switches were flimsy and one light was UV)  I ended up using headlamp flashlights.  They are a dollar each at Walmart.  It was a simple matter of putting an additional lamp on each elastic headband and then taping a red gel filter on the light.  Used black electrical tape to cover the rest of the lamp.  This also gives you the option of spreading the "eyes" out farther if you want an unnatural look or you can keep them close together to simulate a more "human look".

Anne Friederich
    7th/8th Grade Science Teacher
    Postville IA

• 19.  RE: Glowing Eyes Effect for TRAP

Posted 10-05-2020 11:33
    Do you by chance still have any of them lying around?

Thanks!

Ernesto Manzano
    Theatre Director
    Bellville TX

• 20.  RE: Glowing Eyes Effect for TRAP

Posted 10-05-2020 12:07
    Yes, I have some. I can count them. Any idea how many you want?

• 21.  RE: Glowing Eyes Effect for TRAP

Posted 10-05-2020 12:26
    45 would be great, but I'm flexible!

Thanks!

Ernesto Manzano
    Theatre Director
    Bellville TX

• 22.  RE: Glowing Eyes Effect for TRAP

Posted 10-30-2019 15:31
    We just finished this show...it was great.
    As the tech director, I was dissatisfied with the pre-made options for the glowing eyes so took it upon myself to figure out how best to make them and here is what I did:
    • Purchased Dollar Tree reading glasses and spray painted the fronts with flat black paint.
    • Purchased battery packs (2032) with wire leads 2x2023 coin cell plastic battery Holder 6V Output with on/off switch
    • Purchased batteries for said packs  JOOBEF CR2032 Lithium 3V Battery, Electronic Coin Cell Button for Toys Calculators Watches(40 Pcs)  
      Purchased Red Diodes
    • Purchased a soldering gun and solder and watched some Youtube videos on how to solder so I could solder the lead wires from the battery packs to the diodes.

Once you have the 2 red diodes soldered to the battery pack, you attach them to the glasses in the following manner:
    • Remove some of the black paint from the front of the glasses by placing a blob of hot glue on the lens and then peeling off (trust me, this works so much faster than scraping paint...discovered this through trial and error, so believe the process!)
    • Place the red diodes on the back side of the glasses and glue gun into place.
    • Attach the battery pack to the stem of the glasses with easy access to the switch.
    • Cover the diodes and the back of the glasses with black gorilla tape to keep the light from shining on the faces of the actors (those red diodes put out a lot of light!).
    • Place a fresh blob of glue gun glue on the front of each lens to concentrate the red light.
    • Touch up black paint around the glue blobs.

Viola!  As many pairs of glasses as you need and for about $2 and learning how to solder!
    If you want some pictures, email me: pedrotti@luhsd.net

Hillary Pedrotti
    Brentwood CA