Open Forum

View Only

HELP!!

• 1.  HELP!!

Posted 07-29-2016 12:16
    At the end of the past school year I posted about "newbie help".  I recieved MANY helpful responses and was able to get a stack of books to read and educate myself on.  Now as the new school year is about to start gearing up I am finding myself overwhelmed.  I have still to be able to envision what a theatre class should look like!  
    WOULD ANYONE OUT THERE be willing to share a pacing calendar and/or a daily glimpse into their classroom.  I am an English teacher, trying to become a Theatre teacher.  I don't think my class is supposed to have the same structure as my English classes but I don't know what that is supposed to look like.  What should I be trying to get done in a school year?  
    Thanks again!  I read through the posts every day and either find a tool for my tool box or get completely overwhelmed!
    --
    Best Regards,
    Charlotte Kauffman
    English and Theatre Teacher

• 2.  RE: HELP!!

Posted 07-29-2016 15:21

My pace changes due to the needs of the class and whether they're mastering things or need more time. But in general, this is the typical structure and pacing of my Drama 1/2 classes. Keep in mind that my Thespian club puts on our plays and musical, so auditions are open to all students, not just drama class members. As a result, there is no embedded rehearsal time in the curriculum. In the past when I've had only one class (no club) and that class was expected to put on a show, I've cut out certain units and shuffled things around.

If you're interested in learning more about any of my units or projects, let me know and I can send you some resources.

SEMESTER ONE

- Ice breakers and team building activities [1 Week]

- Basic theater safety, types of stages/theaters, parts of a theater [3 days]

- Pantomime, body language, facial expression (2-3 weeks)

* Mask work

* Facial work

* Silent movie project (putting bodies to use)

- Voice and breath [1-2 weeks]

* Poetry recital

* Radio show or puppetry or cartoon project (putting voices to use)

- Developing characters using body and voice [2-3 weeks]

* Fairy tale character project

* Original character project

- Annotating scenes for vocal and body work [1 week]

- Monologues (2-3 weeks)

* Comedic monologue

* Dramatic monologue

* Original monologue

- Pair scenes [2 weeks]

- Small group scenes [2 weeks]

- Original scenes [2 weeks]

- Auditions and rehearsals for Drama 1/2 Scenes Showcase [1-2 weeks]

- Drama 1/2 Scenes Showcase performance [1 day]

SEMESTER TWO

- Improvisation [2 weeks]

- Ancient Greek theater [4 weeks]

* Basic theater history of Ancient Greece

* The structure of a Greek tragedy vs structure of a Greek comedy

* Class reading and analysis of Oedipus, Antigone, or Medea (Tragedy)

* Class reading and analysis of The Birds or The Frogs (Comedy)   

* Ancient Greek mini play project (turn a myth into a ten minute play following the structure of a Greek tragedy)

* Mini play mask project

* Ancient Greek mini play performances

- Commedia Dell'Arte [4 weeks]

* Basic history of Commedia Dell'Arte

* Commedia character research project and presentation

* Commedia character body positions

* Commedia pair scenes

- Stage Combat [2.5 weeks]

* Combat safety

* Punching: sucker punch, upper cut, belly punch

* Kicking: basic kick, floor kick, knee to the belly, knee to the groin

* Slapping: upstage slap, downstage slap, backhanded slap

* Misc: foot stomp, eye poke, head bop, nose/hair pull, tumble

* Original stage combat scene

- Script Writing [4-5 weeks]

* Aristotle's 6 Elements of a Play

* Whole class play script reading (teacher's choice) and analysis

* Aristotle's 6 Elements analysis project

* Do's and Don'ts of good script writers

* Team original ten minute play

* Independent original ten minute play

- Auditions and rehearsals for Drama 1/2 Original Short Plays Showcase [2 weeks]

- Drama 1/2 Original Short Plays Showcase performance [1 day]

------------------------------
    Rachel Snow
    Drama Teacher
    Alhambra High School
    Alhambra CA

• 3.  RE: HELP!!

Posted 07-29-2016 22:51

Charlotte, I would be happy to share my lesson plans and opening units to help you get started.  Although, I don't know if my structure will fit your school.  What does your schedule look like?  I see my classes every day for 45 minutes for a semester. 

Jessica Harms
    Theatre Director
    Acton MA

• 4.  RE: HELP!!

Posted 07-31-2016 10:05

Charlotte,

I am retooling my curriculum right now. If you would like a look at where I am at with Units (planned in UbD format) you can take a look at my website www.arts-core.com for more info. These are all lessons for high school students in a theatre arts major track. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Yours in Art,

Jason

Jason Robert LeClair, MA
    Artist/Arts Educator
    Director, Thespian Troupe 7444
    Beacon Charter High School for the Arts
    Woonsocket, RI

• 5.  RE: HELP!!

Posted 07-31-2016 10:11

I'd be happy to share what my school district uses. I can email it to you if you'd like. 

W. Riley Braem, M.F.A.
    Director of Theatre
    Theatre Teacher
    Northwest High School
    Clarksville, TN

• 6.  RE: HELP!!

Posted 08-06-2016 19:18

Send me an email and I will send you things :-)

Lsteenson@rsd7.net

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 7.  RE: HELP!!

Posted 08-08-2016 08:32

Those of you will to help,

Might I be able to get in on your generosity and have a peak at those as well.  I am a second year "newbie" as a teacher and my first year was passable but I still haven't found my ideal.  I am in a strange K-8 situation.  Year one I only saw the students once every 8 day rotation which allowed me absolutely no momentum plus we have no stage or classroom dedicated for theater.  I taught on area rugs in each classroom and for the older kids in the gym/cafeteria.  This year is a new idea whereby I will see the 4-8th graders in small groups 3x a week for 9 weeks then get a new group.  So, much more possibility for flow.  I begin next week and still haven't firmed up a lesson plan for my first 9 weeks.

All help/guidance is appreciated.

Jennifer

Jennifer Riker

• 8.  RE: HELP!!

Posted 08-07-2016 10:59

Charlotte,

I think what you are going to find, overall, is that each of us has a different guide, and even within that guide there will be variety. Sadly, last year I was well off my pace at the end of the year - entirely due to the BS testing!

I would guess that most programs that are teaching an introductory class will start with improv and team building games, maybe move to monologues, and then scenes, with other things like theatre history, stagecraft and the business of theatre thrown is as well. 

Each of us will probably allow different amounts of time for each section. For example, while I enjoy improv, I strongly believe that actors get better by doing scenes and character work -  so improv in my class is literally three days and then what they do when I am out sick. Others may love improv as a teaching tool and spend weeks on it. 

One of respondents to your post listed a stage combat unit - I teach that as well, but not in acting studio classes but as a unit in my Mask & Movement class (as an aside - please don't teach this if you are not certified as a stage combatant by the SAFD - not just you, but anyone!). So Variety - the spice of life!

Not trying to throw cold water on your request for help - I can see you have already gotten several detailed responses. However - if you can give us some more info about what you plan to cover, what you believe in as theatre teacher (like my belief in scene work over improv), and also whether you are block scheduling or meeting everyday - I think you can probably get some much more specific ideas and examples to chose from. That said, you are going to start teaching the class and all that is going to go out the window as you discover what your kids and you need, so, be prepared. :)
    Again, not trying to be a curmudgeon, and maybe not even telling you anything you don't already know - but hoping to get you more detailed and helpful plans / ideas.

Sincerely,

Jeff Davis

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 9.  RE: HELP!!

Posted 08-08-2016 09:57

Jeff,

Thank you for your response.  I found your post to be relevant and true.  I am finding frustration at not having a clear cut guide.  I can only tell you that I have a Theatre 1 class that meets every other day for 90 minutes and a Theatre 2 class that meets daily for 50 minutes.  I do not have any "beliefs" as a Theatre teacher as I just began my journey in Theatre and do not have any background in Theatre (besides being a supporting parent when my twins were in Theatre in high school... oooh and helping out with VBS at our church).  I have found some great support and wisdom as I am trying to figure things out.  It is frustrating being asked to teach a course you do not have the background in, I do not know enough to know what needs/should be taught...

Thank you for your words and time.  I love that the theatre community is so willing to respond!

Charlotte

Charlotte Kauffman
    English & Theatre Teacher
    Chesapeake VA

• 10.  RE: HELP!!

Posted 08-08-2016 13:44
      |   view attached

Charlotte, I am attaching your Virginia Theatre Arts Standards.  This is where you need to start. 

All of us structure our classes differently, and I don't even want to think of a time when that is not so.  You have certain passions and certain areas of expertise already, and you will add to those as you grow as a theatre teacher.  But you need to make sure you cover the standards of your state.  

When I moved to North Carolina, I printed off the standards and imagined units that would allow me to cover all the standards for each course.  That is why, for instance, my Theatre II students research a topic on the elementary Social Studies or English curricula, brainstorm, improvise, collaboratively write a script, design their costumes and props, then take that show to every feeder elementary school.  That 9-10 week project covers a vast percentage of what they are supposed to learn and do in the second level.

I highlighted each standard as I folded it into a unit, making sure I had all of them highlighted by the end of the process.  Then I marked off time for each unit on a calendar.  That is the start of a pacing guide.

Typing up those units, listing all the standards covered by each by number/letter, will be invaluable for completing lesson plans (if you are required to submit them), parent-teacher conferences, and evaluations.

And if you can be more specific about what sort of plans you need from us, I'm sure we can be of help.  However, a bunch of disjointed lesson and unit ideas is probably not what you need right now.

Best wishes for a great year!  

CJ 

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

Attachment(s)

• 11.  RE: HELP!!

Posted 08-09-2016 08:58

Please don't stress!  I don't think that there is any across-the-board pacing guide for theatre.  Over the past 12 years, this is what I've put together for my program.  Yes, Virginia does have SOLs, but we don't have an end-of-course test at any level, and in my county, there is such a disparity of how classes are combined/divided that each teacher really focuses on the broad brush strokes laid out in the SOLs, but does what works in our own classrooms. Do what you feel comfortable with and go from there. 

That said, I've structured my Drama I and II classes around plays.  We read plays, study the history behind them, and perform group scenes.  I love reading with them in class, and, being that you have an English background, what a great way to get the students passionate about dramatic literature!  I've attached my yearly pacing guide (self-generated and week-by-week) in addition to my syllabus from Drama I and II.  

Ultimately, if you're passionate about what you do, the kids will develop a passion for the subject.  Please email me if you want more information :)  BREAK A LEG with the start of the school year!!!

Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA

Attachment(s)

doc
    D1Syllabus.doc   27 KB 1 version
    doc
    D2Syllabus.doc   31 KB 1 version
    xls
    MasterPlan.xls   48 KB 1 version

• 12.  RE: HELP!!

Posted 08-08-2016 16:30
      |   view attached

Charlotte,

I teach a forty two minute period every day - I am sure there are teacher's here who teach 90 minute periods who will be of more specific help, but I will try to give you some suggestions to help out as much as I can. (CJ's post of standards should also be very useful!).

If I taught a ninety minute period I would start each class with ten or fifteen minutes of warm-up - vocal and physical (I wish I had time for this now, but sadly...).

In your position, I would begin with a unit on improvisation - and I would play lots of games. There are web sites that list all sorts of possible games - use those, they are invaluable!  While playing the games, try to ensure that everyone participates at least once a day (if your kids are like mine, you will have a few who really enjoy watching, but are terrified to try themselves). 

You will want to cover monologues (you can do this for both levels, then scenes, and for the upper level work up to classical scenes). This can also be a good place to start them on script analysis - and there are many great books on this and again, many teachers here who will have specific plans / ideas for you. 

I would encourage you to use the scene and monologue work as the vehicle for improving their acting skills - the way I run performance work is as follows: they chose their monologue / scene. They rehearse during class time as I wander from group to group to offer advice, they perform for critique from myself and their peers, they rehearse again to incorporate the critique. They perform a "mock" - they do it as if they were doing it for a grade, I grade them as if it was real, they keep the grade sheet so they can see where they need to improve and what they would have gotten. They rehearse. They perform for a final grade (where I am looking for them to improve on what they did before). 

So as you can see, this can take a loooong while - the trick is, if it takes too long they get bored. 

A few words about grading - I try to be sure that no one aspect can kill their grade - except participation. in my class the grades are divided: 20% tests, 20% homework, 20% performance and 40% participation. 

I also tell them I am not grading their performances against each other. Some kids come with tons of experience, some are trying it out for the first time, some have tons of raw natural talent - some seem to have less (I don't mention the talent part to them, just the experience part). The thing I tell them I am looking for is THEIR growth, nothing else. That said, I also say that while art is subjective, there is (IMO) some objectively good or bad performances. I tell them I will be honest with them, when something is bad, i will tell them and then tell them how to fix it. Then when I tell them something is good - they know it really is.

I am sure that you do a lot of this as an English teacher already, I encourage you to continue to do so. The difference in classes is that as a regular / daily feature of an acting class students are taking extreme chances and opening themselves up (baring their souls as it were), so it is important for them to know that the person they are doing this for is honest with them and supportive of them. Which from I can see you most certainly will be. 

I am attaching my grading rubric to give an idea of how I grade. You may feel free to use, adjust it, trash it... just word of warning, I am a tad... sarcastic? So some of my comments are very snarky, you might wish to adjust them. :)     You will also note that there is ... wiggle room at the upper end of the spectrum. I find this helpful to push some of my more naturally advanced students.

Hope this helps. As you generate specific questions and needs I am sure you will find many fantastic ideas / help from the community.

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

Attachment(s)

doc
    SCENEGRADING (1).doc   24 KB 1 version

• 13.  RE: HELP!!

Posted 08-08-2016 16:12

When I started out I googled Drama and theatre arts lesson plans.  You can also search for a syllabus and get loads of samples.  Last year I found someone's yearly calendar for a Drama 1 course.  Right now I am using Theatrefolk's Drama 1 Curriculum from the Drama Teacher Academy. You must subscribe but it is worth it if you want fully fleshed out units that includes the objectives, vocabulary, common core and National Arts standards and step-by-step daily lesson plans with rubrics. If you don't want to subscribe BYU maintains a data base of  theatre arts and drama lunits and lesson plans. 

Amy Sando,
    Douglas High School Drama
    392-1543

"Whether you think you can or can't, you're right!"   Henry Ford

• 14.  RE: HELP!!

Posted 08-08-2016 08:50

I am in the same boat so any help would be recommended.

Donald

Donald Osborne
    Yonkers NY

• 15.  RE: HELP!!

Posted 08-08-2016 10:01

So you have no theatre background and are being asked to teach theatre?  The community here has been very responsive and helpful.  If you look back a few posts on this thread you can see a post from Jeff.  It sums it up very well.  The teachers on here will give you all of their resources but you need to know what direction you are wanting to go in.  I am trying to figure that out now... my goal today is to write my syllabus for both of my theatre classes... 

Charlotte Kauffman
    English & Theatre Teacher
    Chesapeake VA