Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Fall Productions?

Posted 05-12-2020 16:57
    Seems sort of trivial to be putting this out there, but I figured others may have the same question. How are you handling the unknown of performing in any aspect by the end of the year? Usually we put on a Fall production sometime in November- December. Are you preparing to do a piece with streaming rights or live? Do they come with the option for both? The show I have in mind has streaming capabilites.. mind you, I'm in New Jersey. What if we're able to perform to small audiences? I haven't looked into what goes into all of that really, I just know they exist.  I just have a bunch of students who want to know, but are understanding that I can't really give them any news... I feel bad for the seniors/junoirs... Obvioulsy I realize there's bigger things going on than "what our next show is", I would just like to give them some hope and something fun to look forward to/ prepare for.

------------------------------
    Cori Bott
    Jackson NJ

• 2.  RE: Fall Productions?

Posted 05-12-2020 17:21
    Hi Cory. Let me start by saying that you are certainly not alone in this question!  At this point in time I normally am announcing my season theme and the fall, winter and spring shows. I have already told my students that I cannot announce yet until I have more information on how we are going to proceed. (I'm in California). That being said, I am anticipating online classes, virtual rehearsals and streaming. I highly doubt that we will do anything for a live audience. Should we be permitted to bring small groups of students together in classroom setting or for rehearsal, I am planning on doing only very small ensemble ( 3 - 5 actors at most)  - one acts  or if need be, a compilation of scenes and monologues.  I am anticipating that we may not do a musical next year but maybe a revue that could be rehearsed over ZOOM and streamed. I'm looking for radio scripts, material in the public domain, comedy sketches and considering doing original material created by the students.  We just did a Zoom production and it worked!    Happy to keep dialoguing about this as we see how things go. While I agree there are bigger things going on than the next show...this is our work and our students only have one high school experience. We are all trying to provide them the best possible arts education under challenging circumstances! You are asking the right questions!

Amy Luskey Barth
    Talon Theatre Artistic Director
    Director, Thespian Troupe 5524
    Santa Margarita Catholic High School

• 3.  RE: Fall Productions?

Posted 05-13-2020 13:44
    Having a creative project to work on is therapeutic I believe for both staff and students, and a healthy distraction during these challenging times. I think all of us are trying to imagine what next fall and next year's show seasons might look like.

Amy - can you share more details about your recent Zoom production - the logistics of how you produced it and what the final product looked like?

Anna Woods
    Drama Teacher/Theatre Director
    Troupe Director 8921
    Piedmont Hills High School
    San Jose, CA

• 4.  RE: Fall Productions?

Posted 05-13-2020 17:13
    Hi Thank you for responding! I would love some info on how you achieved you Zoom Production.

Cori Bott
    Jackson NJ

• 5.  RE: Fall Productions?

Posted 05-13-2020 09:43

I'm in Kansas and am trying to figure out the same things. I don't know if I should plan shows or look for shows with streaming or look for radio scripts or just have options for any possible situation. I'm following to see what suggestions people have. Hope everyone is doing well! 

Kate Lindsay, Salina South, Troupe 1476

Kate Lindsay
    Salina KS

• 6.  RE: Fall Productions?

Posted 05-13-2020 10:32
    We are planning for the worst, hoping for the best.  Our drama teachers will send out scripts (online auditions if needed) this fall, hoping to offer a live-if not modified for small audiences-performances.  Worst-case scenario, perhaps we will offer a zoom performance (lines and costumes only).

Bettie-Ann Candelora
    Director of Performing Arts
    Hackley School
    Tarrytown NY

• 7.  RE: Fall Productions?

Posted 05-13-2020 11:37
    We went ahead and scheduled every show for next year like nothing is going to change. It felt good, and we got it all on the big school calendar. I guess you can say we are extremely hopeful!! We are going to perform our spring musical in September now. (Hopefully!!) A few of our seniors are going to college here in town, so they are still going to play their roles, but we will have to recast the others. Yes, it's been very difficult! But knowing the whole world is going through this as well helps our seniors understand!

Suzanne "Mama" Craig
    MS/HS Theatre/Speech
    Lipscomb Academy
    Nashville, TN
    Suzanne.Craig@Lipscomb.Edu

• 8.  RE: Fall Productions?

Posted 05-14-2020 08:31
    We also are choosing our full season for next year. Our first play is in December though - we are probably doing a radio drama version of A Christmas Carol. That way if we can do it in person, we can have a live foley pit on stage and have actors still "performing" and use projections and such. If not, we can record it from home and share it with the community as a true radio drama. For the winter musical though... we're just hoping for the best by then!

Lindsay Hearn Brustein
    St. Stephen's Episcopal School
    Austin TX

• 9.  RE: Fall Productions?

Posted 05-15-2020 07:42
    Hi Lindsey,
    are you writing your own version of A Christmas Carol or using a published script. This has been on my radar as well and wondered if you had found a good version.
    thanks,

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 10.  RE: Fall Productions?

Posted 05-14-2020 12:18
    I made a proactive plan to move the fall musical to the spring.  The kids are a little freaked out about it, but I knew that if we had to cancel in the fall, it would be too late to move it.  For fall, I'm doing what it sounds like many of you are--looking for something that could be rehearsed with minimal contact and recorded or streamed if needed.  I'd love ideas.  I'm going to look into combining a series of short plays, maybe the Actor's Theatre of Louisville's 10 minute plays.

Laurie Nebeker
    Drama Director
    Eden Prairie MN