Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  fake fire

Posted 01-11-2018 17:17
    I need a continuous fire in the fireplace for my next show (Murder's in the Heir).  I just came across Chauvet DJ BOB LED Simulated Flame Effect.  It looks like it would work well - my main concern is the noise from the fan.  Has anyone ever used this?  Or recommend something else for a fireplace fire?
    Thanks,

------------------------------
    Janet Rhoads
    Drama Teacher
    Andale High School
    Andale KS

• 2.  RE: fake fire

Posted 01-12-2018 07:39
    What about this? Amazing new realistic flame effect LED lamp. (Full original version.)
    YouTube remove preview
    Amazing new realistic flame effect LED lamp. (Full original version.)
    I'm pretty excited about this lamp as it is a <g class="gr_ gr_44 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" id="44" data-gr-id="44">complete</g> new direction for LED lighting. It uses an array of LEDs on a cylindrical core to emulate the effect of a large torch flame. This would look great in a post-top lantern or as part of a <g class="gr_ gr_38 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="38" data-gr-id="38">minecraft</g> style wall torch.
    View this on YouTube >

Jared Wright
    Thomaston GA

• 3.  RE: fake fire

Posted 01-12-2018 07:46
    I have used BOB's a lot...they are perfect! Noise is not a problem. 

• 4.  RE: fake fire

Posted 01-12-2018 07:57
      |   view attached
    Hello, 

I think there are a lot of lighting tricks, like those new LED bulbs which I would love to try one day, and Ihave had my classes try and devise better fires, and really I have not loved any of it. The best option I came up with recently was using projection. Yes, at times it was blocked by a performer briefly, but since it was a concert and the rest of the layout was open, it worked 90 percent of the time. There was more I wanted to do with it like add logs into the fireplaces so that it looked even more real, but it definitely looked great. The background in the image is projection too.  The fire is a little hard to see in the picture.

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI
    Www.techiegreenroom.com

• 5.  RE: fake fire

Posted 01-12-2018 08:53
    We have used a small electric fake fire for a fire place.  It only lights up and does on put out any heat.  Our fire place was placed against the backdrop, so we ran the cord under the backdrop and plugged it in backstage.

Theresa Velazquez
    Spanish Teacher
    Theater Director and Speech Team Coach
    Duchesne High School
    St. Charles, MO

• 6.  RE: fake fire

Posted 01-12-2018 08:54
    I have used electric fireplace logs as well in the past, the motors in them make some noise. The Fans in the units do make noise.

I have done it on a lighting board that can run 2 cue stacks by using different color lamps and creating a flame effect, no noise there just hiding the lamps or fixtures

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 7.  RE: fake fire

Posted 01-12-2018 09:53
    There are Christmas lights that are amber flickering flames. I have used those before in a fireplace. No noise and looks great when tucked in between logs.

Ann Hileman
    Indiana Executive Board
    Maconaquah High School
    Bunker Hill, IN

• 8.  RE: fake fire

Posted 01-12-2018 11:04
    If you can get away with the burning coals idea-- it is pretty simple to build a log fire and then use various shades of amber and red gel under the logs to create a glowing coals effect.  Christmas lights can be placed under the gel and left on automatic flicker or fade, if you can find those sorts of sets-- or use your light board and a dimmer to create a continuous chase effect for that channel.  It looks pretty good either way.

Another way to approach this is to find and old electric fireplace and scavenge the parts for the rotate--er and the mirror in the back to create your own flame effect behind the logs.  You might need to get a power supply adapter to power the motor for the flame rotation effect-- if you tear apart an older electric fireplace-- you'll see what I'm referring to.

This can be done from scratch as well if you have the time and or an enterprising student or parent who wants to take this on.  Just get some polished metal that causes a slight reflection or dull down a mirror with hair spray or black spray paint and then use either a flame rotation effect or flickering Christmas lights to create the flame shadows.  You can use cutouts of the flames and have the strands of lights flicker on and off to create flames.

Sounds like a fun project

Hope that helps

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC