Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Textbook Suggestions

Posted 03-02-2017 09:55
    I am on the hunt for a good textbook geared towards high school students. We do not have textbooks for theatre students (ah, public schools) in my district, so I've relied on old college textbooks, Drama Teacher Academy, and friends as a catalyst to create my own curriculum. It's working okay but I would really love to have a solid textbook to present to our school board and convince them of the importance of students having a tangible source of information at their disposal.

------------------------------
    Laura Adams
    Theatre Teacher
    Kosciusko School District
    Kosciusko MS

• 2.  RE: Textbook Suggestions

Posted 03-02-2017 11:52
    Does your textbook company offer one?  That's usually how we got our in NC.

Stage & the School is an old classic.  Theatre Arts in Action?

Or you could go piecemeal.  Maybe look at simplified college texts.  That's kind of what I do now a days.  

DavidWard
    Mt. HollyNC

• 3.  RE: Textbook Suggestions

Posted 03-02-2017 12:22
    Laura,

I read a lot of text books prior to teaching theatre (that was almost 9 years ago) and came across many that helped me create lessons and activities for my classes.  I have yet to come across a text book that I would assign as the class text.  For that matter, I could not conceive of teaching theatre from a text book.   That being said, there is one text which may help you give your students a decent overview of vary aspects of theater.  Richard Cohen's Theatre, McGraw Hill: http://amzn.to/2lYrR62

I concur with others that you would do better compiling readings from various sources, including acting versions of plays.  For technical theatre I recommend Gillette's Theatrical Design & Production: http://amzn.to/2m0tHBw and Drew Campbell's Technical Theater for Nontechnical People: http://amzn.to/2lilN9F.  Lastly, one of the books I've found particularly useful as a student resource, though not to teach from, is Basic Drama Projects: http://amzn.to/2lYBDVT--this is one your state may allow you to adopt and if so it comes with a wonderful teacher edition.

If, however, your state isn't into adopting you can contact your state's McGraw Hill or Houghton Mifflin rep and request a 'perusal' copy.  Tell them you're considering their text for a classroom adoption and 8 out of 10 times they'll send you a free copy which you keep.

Hope these help,
    Aaron

--
    A. W. Miller
    Theatre Arts Director
    I.T.S. Troupe #1523 Director

Private Acting Lessons from Dramedy Acting

All Things Zombie: Original T-Shirts, Games, Movies, and More!

Read: The Sad Man by A. W. Miller

• 4.  RE: Textbook Suggestions

Posted 03-02-2017 20:37
    Thanks, all. I can see where creating/remaining with my own curriculum is best for a broader scope. I suppose I really just want decent reading/reference material for students outside of plays and such. These are great suggestions. I appreciate it! 

Laura Adams
    Theatre Teacher
    Kosciusko School District
    Kosciusko MS

• 5.  RE: Textbook Suggestions

Posted 03-03-2017 13:10
    I recommend that all look at the books which EdTA has in its catalog. There are useful books and numerous resources. It is worth checking periodically.  

Gai Jones
    1410 White Oak Circle  Ojai, CA 93023
    805 640  6472
    www.gaijones.com 

• 6.  RE: Textbook Suggestions

Posted 03-03-2017 07:45

Basic Drama Projects by Perfection Learning.  I use it as a touchstone for my year-long Acting I class, and also use the technical theater unit for my Theater Arts class. Check it out!

Kristen Statt

English 10, Theater Arts, Acting I, II, III

Thunderhawk Theater Director

755-7211 ext. 15147

*******PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL ************ 

This electronic message transmission contains information from the  Lakota Local School District that is privileged, confidential or  otherwise the exclusive property of the intended recipient or the  Lakota Local School District.  This information is intended for the  use of the individual or entity that is the intended recipient.  If you are not the designated recipient, please be aware that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this electronic in error, please notify us by telephone(513) 644-1200, collect, or by electronic mail email@lakotaonline.com and promptly destroy the original transmission.  Thank you for your assistance.

Lakota Privacy Disclaimer

PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL This electronic message transmission contains information from the Lakota Local School District that is privileged, confidential or otherwise the exclusive property of the intended recipient or the Lakota Local School District. This information is intended for the use of the individual or entity that is the intended recipient. If you are not the designated recipient, please be aware that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please notify us by telephone(513) 644-1200, collect, or by electronic mail email@lakotaonline.com and promptly destroy the original transmission. Thank you for your assistance.

Lakota Local Schools

• 7.  RE: Textbook Suggestions

Posted 03-03-2017 10:48
    I'm getting a physical copy to sample from them next week- thanks for the endorsement! :D

Autumn Gonzales
    Certified Teacher
    Estacada School District
    Portland OR

• 8.  RE: Textbook Suggestions

Posted 03-03-2017 20:30
    Hi Laura,
    I'm not sure if you teach acting or tech, or both, but I've recently created a step-by-step guide to hanging and focusing a rep plot, which can be used as a text book.  Also valuable for your board to understand is theatre safety.  You can see links to these books on the PRESETT website - address in my signature line.  Please let me know if there's any more info I can send you to further your cause!

Beth Rand

High School Theatre Operations Coach

Next HS Theatre Management Training online course starts March 27 - spaces still available.
    Author of "High School Theatre Operations", "High School Theatre Rep Plot" and "High School Theatre Safety Manual"
    www.PRESETT.org
    Woodinville, WA