Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Jerry Finnegan's Sister

Posted 05-19-2016 11:56

Hello I am Drake Dalgleish

I am a Junior at R.A.Long high school in Longview, Washington. 

Last year I went to The International Thespian Festival in Lincoln, Nebraska. There was a cutting of a show called Jerry Finnegan's Sister I saw that I absolutely loved. I don't know what troupe it was, so I'm just posting here. After I saw this show I fell in love with it and I wanted to do something with it. So after a lot of talking with my troupe director, She has allowed me to direct the full show by myself this summer!!!

I'm so glad, and I just want to thank that troupe who did it at the international thespian festival last year. I hope you get this message. 

------------------------------
    Drake Dalgleish

• 2.  RE: Jerry Finnegan's Sister

Posted 05-20-2016 09:42

Oh, my goodness!

That was our production!  I am so glad it inspired you...it is such a lovely play!  Have a wonderful time telling Brian's story...keep me posted about the experience.  I will share your message with John Thomas Priar and Kelsey Reese, it will mean so much to them!  

All my best!

Carolyn  

Carolyn Cork Greer
    Troupe #3161
    Owensboro HS
    Owensboro, KY

• 3.  RE: Jerry Finnegan's Sister

Posted 05-22-2016 00:58

Oh my gosh it's awesome i found you guys. The auditions are on Monday this week and I couldn't be any more excited!!!! We have also decided to do it as dinner theater to help fundraise for our theater cause currently our flies system is broken. We don't perform until the first week of school in September but I've already planned so much for it. I'll be sure to keep you posted and if I get tuck on something, I'll ask you about how you did it lol. 

-Drake Dalgleish

Drake Dalgleish

• 4.  RE: Jerry Finnegan's Sister

Posted 06-13-2016 16:56

So we have started rehearsals and me Zoe (Beth) Jeremy (Brian) and Aly (Stage manger) are so excited to do this. One question did come up tho during our read through. At the part where Beth is trying to become a cheer leader and she flips Brian, how did you do that? It's just me and aly who are putting on this production and we are gonna need help lol. 

Drake Dalgleish

• 5.  RE: Jerry Finnegan's Sister

Posted 06-14-2016 05:38

I would have the character react with her face and body the repulsion instead of using the flip off.  It takes a great actor to emote something like this without teaching them that it is OK to do something gross and crass.  

Corinne Walker
    Lyon, France

• 6.  RE: Jerry Finnegan's Sister

Posted 06-14-2016 08:48
    If memory serves, in that scene she flips him, not flips him off. When I directed this (years ago), we had Brian do a standing front roll as he passed Beth who, at the last minute, turned her back to the audience. She did quite a bit of "back acting" to make it look like she was throwing him. As with all stage combat, very choreographed and well rehearsed. If it's smooth, the audience will fill in the action and create the flip in their brains.

---------------------------------
    Bob Ramseur
    Newnan GA
    ---------------------------------

• 7.  RE: Jerry Finnegan's Sister

Posted 06-17-2016 21:06

Forgive me for not responding!  We only produced a one-act version, so we didn't include that scene.  However, Bob is correct in making sure you have someone who can choreograph the flip.    Safety first!  I say this because...well, the Beth you saw perform at Festival actually broke her collarbone in two spots while rehearsing her IE three weeks before we had the show screened at our state festival.  Her stage partner put her over his shoulder, her skirt was slippery and made her slip.  He fell on top of her and directly on her collarbone...yikes!

So no matter what you do, safety first!!  Break a leg!

Carolyn 

Carolyn Cork Greer
    Owensboro KY