Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Educational Theatre Licensing INDIANA

Posted 04-17-2018 09:12
    Hello All,
    I've sponsoring/directing our extracurricular theatre program for eight years. This year, my administration came to me asking if I could add Theatre Education to my Indiana Teaching License. Currently, I'm only licensed to teach English grades 5-12. I've contacted just about every Indiana or Louisville, Kentucky area university and college to see if anyone offers a theatre education program that would meet my needs for a program. While some of them did offer Theatre Education courses, none them offered classes that would allow me to keep my job teaching while going to class. I CANNOT quit my job to get this license added, but Indiana requires coursework to add theatre to my license. Does anyone have any sort of advice or past experience in this same situation? I desperately want to teach theatre as school-day curriculum in conjunction with our extracurricular program. It would be wonderful for our students. Please help!

------------------------------
    Kayla Seybold
    Educator
    Campbellsburg IN

• 2.  RE: Educational Theatre Licensing INDIANA

Posted 04-18-2018 07:54
    Hi Kayla, 
    I completed my undergrad in Theatre Education at Ball State in 2000 and at that time they had a summer program. The idea was that educators could earn their MEd. in a few summers. I do not know if the program still exists, but I would start there. Since you probably only need the theatre courses (although you might have to get licensed in speech communication theatre education as it was in 2000), I would contact the Department of Theatre and Dance first, then the College of Communications Information and Media, and last ditch effort the Teacher's College. I don't know anyone there anymore to direct you to, sorry.

Also! In NC, where I teach now, sometimes you can just take and pass the subject's praxiis 2 to add a certification.

--
    Hillary Bogers
    Theatre Director
    Jack Britt High School
    910-429-2800

This e-mail is for the sole use of the individual for whom it is intended. If you are neither the intended recipient, nor agent responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, any disclosure, re-transmission, copying, or reliance on the information contained herein is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the person transmitting the correspondence immediately. All e-mail correspondence to and from this email may be subject to disclosure to any third party upon request, including the media. It shall not be necessary to disclose: 1) E-mail correspondence which does not constitute a Public Record as defined under N.C.G.S. §132.1 or; 2) a public record which is exempt from disclosure under other applicable State or Federal law.

• 3.  RE: Educational Theatre Licensing INDIANA

Posted 04-18-2018 10:36
    Hi Kayla,

I graduated from Ball State a few years ago. While I was there, there were two different teachers already in the field (one a Chorus, one English) that were adding Theatre Education to their licenses. I would recommend contacting Michael Daehn, who runs the Theatre Education Department there. He's good <g class="gr_ gr_1348 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" id="1348" data-gr-id="1348">about</g> working with your schedule and making it work for you.

http://cms.bsu.edu/academics/collegesanddepartments/theatredance/who-we-are/faculty-and-staff/directing-stage-education-studies/daehnmichael

Andrew Walker
    West Palm Beach FL

• 4.  RE: Educational Theatre Licensing INDIANA

Posted 04-18-2018 08:00
    Try contacting Dr. Rosalind Flynn, head of the MA in Theatre Education program at The Catholic University of America.  She may be able to help you.

Douglas "Chip" Rome
    Theatre Consultant
    Educational Stages
    Burke VA
    http://bit.ly/EdStages
    http://bit.ly/RWTEOview

• 5.  RE: Educational Theatre Licensing INDIANA

Posted 04-18-2018 09:59
    Brigham Young University has Independent study theatre courses. Here is the link to get to the course catalog: 

--
    Ann Hileman, M.A.
    Executive Board of Indiana Thespians
    Indiana Thespian Hall of Fame

Maconaquah High School
    256 East 800 South
    Bunker Hill, IN 46914
    765-689-9131 x 5550 (phone)
    765-689-9528 (fax)