Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Recommendations for a budget mixing console

Posted 08-24-2020 18:27
    Our 6th - 8th grade middle school is looking to purchase a budget sound system. We'd start with 8 wireless lapel + headset mics, 8-10 channel mixer and speakers. I am new to this, so I won't take offense at (and would appreciate) being corrected where my ignorance is in the way. Based on research so far, the clear winner for mics is the GTD Audio 4x800. We can get 2 of these for under $600. This appears to give 8 simultaneous live mics with the possibility of having 8 lapel and 8 headset mics wired to 16 children and swapping battery packs / transmitters as needed so 8 can be live at once.

I am thoroughly confused as to which mixer is best for drama use. I have looked at the Soundcraft Signature 10 for $299, the Soundcraft EPM8 for $279, the Yamaha MG10XU for $209, the Alto Professional Live 802 for $229, the Mackie PROFX10V3 for $200, and the Behringer Xenyx X1222USB for $239. We do 4 drama productions max per year and one may or may not be a musical. Most reviews are from bands using them with effects and more. I'd appreciate advice with drama in mind for a reliable and capable mixer with decent quality (i.e. lack of background noise). The ability to record is important - so I believe all of these have an USB interface. With the current situation, we're looking at moving our events outdoors - although this would be temporary.

We haven't picked speakers yet, but if you have any advice for an approximately $300 pair of speakers, it would save a separate post....

Thanks for your help and input.

------------------------------
    Michael

• 2.  RE: Recommendations for a budget mixing console

Posted 08-25-2020 09:59

If we have some additional information, I believe we could offer better advice. Who will be operating the mixer? Student? Staff? Parent / volunteer? What is their level of training? Is your budget $300? Just guessing by the models you listed. You listed 8 total wireless system inputs, but do you have any additional devices you will need to input into the mixer such as sound effects play back, off stage announce or chorus microphones? 

I realize budgets are tough. However, you are really shopping at the low end of the market. In sound you really get what you pay for. Often times more is not better in this range. I am thinking specifically $300 for a pair of speakers. 

I think that if we had some additional we can point you in the right direction and get you the best option for your budget. 

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 3.  RE: Recommendations for a budget mixing console

Posted 08-28-2020 01:14
    Busy week of back to school meetings. Finally able to say thank you to all the replies and I will endeavor to respond.

Who will be operating the mixer? Staff or well trained parents
    Budget: $650 for 8 mics
    Do you have any additional devices:
    • Sound effects play back - Possibly music
    • Off stage announcer - No
    • Chorus microphones? - Thank you. We probably should plan for 2-3 hanging mics
    You really get what you pay for. - specifically $300 for a pair of speakers.
    Base on the 1380 Reviews, the Rockville Speakers are what I was thinking. I am all ears regarding this choice.

Thanks for the questions.

Michael

• 4.  RE: Recommendations for a budget mixing console

Posted 08-25-2020 10:40
    Michael

This is right in my wheelhouse.

I started doing school theatre audio back in th elate 70s (back in Autralia) and it is now my fulltime business.

I am going to start by proffering my philosophy on sound systems for amateur theatre.
    • Start with a good speaker system
      • most electronics (mixers, amplifiers and even wireless microphones to some extent are all pretty good from a sound perspective (rf on wireless is another thing).
      • it is when we try to convert sound into electricity and back again where things get crazy.  Microphones vary greatly in their accuracy and in many ways speakers are worse.
      • we always start by advising our clients to buy the best speaker system they can afford given their longterm objectives - this is even more important if they are to be installed.
    • Then buy a mixer that best fits your needs - again taking into account what the next few years may bring.  
      • Never by one that has "just enough" channels for the first event you are doinf
      • Always build in some spare capacity (we suggest between 4 and 8 additional channels)
      • Bear in mind the more inputs you are trying to mix the greater the skill level the operator needs
      • Digital mixers are changing things in theatre, because most allow you to create recallable scenes which means you get the mix right in rehearsal, and just recall and adjust during the live performances
    • Wireless systems are the biggest variable - they literal range from $299 for 8ch (GTD Audio) through to $5,000 plus per channel for they systems used on Broadway (and they use 2 systems for at least the lead actors and often for anyone who has more than a line or 2)
      • Buy the absolute best you can afford
      • There is a reason most of the major players do not have an entry UHF multi-frequency system under $300 per channel - that's pretty much because it costs to get the RF stability and reliability that you need to have minimal interference problems once a show raises the curtain.
        • Audio-Technica 200o series receiver and bodypack (no mic) is $329 (maxes at 10 channels)
        • Shure BLX14R receiver and bodypack (no mic) is $379 (maxes at 16 ch)
        • Sennheiser XWS receiver and bodypack (no mic) is $349 (maxes at 16 ch)
        • The GTD is a great price, but there is no customer service, they do not publish a phone number and they rarely if ever respond to Amazon or enay messages. Been there done that
      • your gear should all be on the same basic quality plane.

All of the Mixers you are looking at are entry level products from major players, and all represent good value for the money.  

Mixers:
    If you are buying 8 channels of wireless mics now it makes little sense to to buy a mixer that only has 8 mic inputs as you leave yourself with no growth path.  If you are currently thinking 8 wireless within a year or 2 you will "need" 12 or 16 - this is from experience.
      • The Soundcraft EPM8 is my fav among the units you list and they do make a EPM12 - both have 2 line inputs for music tracks and sound effects
      • The Signature 10 only has 6 mic inputs so you would need to to at least the Signature 12 at $349 - the Signature line has a single line input - so tracks or sound effects, the Signature 16 has 12 mic inputs and the line input @ $599
      • The Yamaha MG10XU only has 4 mic inputs ans 3 line inputs, so you would at least need to go to the MG16XU with 8 mic inputs and 4 line ins @ $525
      • The Alto Live 802 has 4 mic and 2 line ins, need to got to the Live 1604 to get 10 mic ins (don't have an 8) plus 2 line ins @ $490
      • The Mackie ProFX10 is 4 mic in and iin the Mackie range to get at least 8 mic ins you need to go to the ProFX16v3 @ $499
    Speakers:
    Another hobby horse of mine.  We are firm believers in using small cone speakers to carry the vocal range from 200-4kHz as they provide the most natural sound with the least distortion and dissonance.  A major issue with most 2 way systems is that they crossover in the 1.2Khz-2Khz range right in the heart of the voice.  As the sound transitions from the cone speaker to the horn speaker at this crossover point, their is a lot of distortion and the horn introduces a harshness (by virtual of the way a horn works) that takes away from the sound of the performer.  Really expensive systems take care of this with very expensive horn (some costing thousands for just the horn flare, and customized electronic controls.

• We use and recommended vertical line array active systems that are comprised of a subwoofer with the amplifier and a column of small drivers mount on top.
    • Our favorite is the JBL Eon One system for small shows (200-300) but these are $999 each,
    • There is a similar unit from Gemini - WRX-843 at $500 each.

If you need to stay toward the low end of the market, the smaller the "woofer is the better the box will sound, but usually these end up not being powerful enough for musicals without adding more bottom end maybe even more vocal level.

Wireless Microphones:
    • We usually stick with either Shure or Sennheiser as these are the market leaders and their products on the whole have proven to be rock solid.  Neither have anything packaged like the GTD which does complicate things and their microphones (or even our Bodymics Broadway Series microphones for wireless add a lot to the base prices
    • We also manufacture a unit that we designed specifically for the school drama club market - the Creative Audio Technology CA,81 - 8 channels of recevers in a 1u box (standard 19" rack x 1.75" high) with 8 bodypack transmitters (MAP is $2299.99, school price $1,954.99, EdTA conference Special $1,600
    • Microphones add around $50 each
    I am guessing none of this helps if you really have a budget of around $1,200, but whatever you buy now will be what you will have to deal with for years to come.

Feel free to reach out - I love to talk about audio, and I will help you anyway I can 

While I love to make a sale, I live to help folks achieve their audio/theatre goals

Rod Reilly
    Owner, Bodymics
    908-899-1277
    Somerset NJ

• 5.  RE: Recommendations for a budget mixing console

Posted 08-28-2020 02:00
    Wow. Lots to consider, thank you.

Mixers:
    you will "need" 12 or 16 - this is from experience.
    • I get it and you are correct about needing at least 12. Thank you.
    Digital mixers ... allow you to create recallable scenes
    • Thanks for recommending the Soundcraft EPM12. At $369, this is an obvious winner and doable.
    • I'd love to go digital and scenes would make this so much easier... But it looks like I'd have to spend $1000. Is there anything you'd recommend in the $600 range?

Speakers:
    Start with a good speaker system 
    • This is where I can start to drool.... 
    • I was thinking of the Rockville Speakers based on reviews and just needing something people can hear. I get the difference. I don't know how to get from here to there. I guess we could rent the speakers if it came down to it.
    Wireless Microphones:
    Buy the absolute best you can afford
    • Yes, this is the rub. All  the systems you mention are $2500 and up for 8 mics. I could possibly stretch to $1000, but I didn't see anything in that price range better than the GTD Audio. I understand no support. It seems that either we go with GTD or nothing and give the project up.
    • The Creative Audio Technology unit looks promising, but it sounds like it is still $1,954.99 or are you saying it is available for $1,600? Still more than we have right now.
    Thanks for lots to chew on... It likely comes down to building a system piece by piece over years and seeing what we can afford to start with. When the time comes with a definite budget and final parameters, I will reach out to you.

Michael

• 6.  RE: Recommendations for a budget mixing console

Posted 08-26-2020 09:41
    I noticed a glaring lack of amplification in your system.  That's okay, if you are buying powered speakers, but you CANNOT get decent powered speakers for $300 a pair.  In speakers at a price affordable by mere mortals, I would lean toward EV or Yamaha.  JBL is another option, but wouldn't be my first choice (many pros say JBL= Junk But Loud.  Harsh, but some of their products have earned that reputation).  For separate amps, I would lean toward QSC, Crown, or Yamaha.  Peavey still makes some pretty good workhorses for rugged, clean amps (the old CS800 series are noted for being virtually bulletproof).  For PA systems, don't skimp on power.  Unlike guitar amps, the important thing about PA amps is clean headroom (the ability to run at high power levels without distortion).

Rodney James
    Technical Theatre Director
    Forney Independent School district
    Forney TX

• 7.  RE: Recommendations for a budget mixing console

Posted 08-26-2020 10:04
    Rodney

I too am not a fan of JBL for the most part - the only exception I have ever made is for the JBK Eon One.  The JBL sound is what helped create the modern Rock Sound, but the top end is way to harsh for my ears (well less so the older I get, but that is another issue entirely)

Almost all the newer JBL speakers are voiced" to sound like the speakers from the 80s - the JBL sound.  The problem is that almost all the budget speakers have the same characteristics. Even the less expensive EVs who where among the first to design horns that lept the JBL honk to a minimum.  By favorite horn flare's are from RnekusHeinz - but you will pay over $300 for their nics horn and driver - no woofer, no amp, no box.

I too assumed that Michael was looking towards powered speakers.

I also agree with regards power - more is better.  A 200w RMS passive speaker is best powered by an amp capable of producing 400w at the speakers nominal impedance. Yes you can over-power it, but you are much more likely to blow a woofer using a 200w ampm than the 400w amp as when pushing towards maximum the amp is 200w amp is more likely to feed a square wave then the bigger one.  A square occurs when an amp meets it's max power and has the effect of holding the speaker at full excursion causing heat to build up in the voice coil leading to failure.  Overpowering at the same input level to the amp will tend to keep the cone moving causing less heat build-up and hence increasing the chances of not causing catastrophic failure.

Rod Reilly
    Owner, Bodymics
    908-899-1277
    Somerset NJ

• 8.  RE: Recommendations for a budget mixing console

Posted 08-27-2020 17:51
    I think some good advice has been offered so far.  And I would agree, if we had some more information, we could help a bit more.  The room that you will be using your system in is pretty important as well.  What are it's accoutisc properties, how long is the throw from enclosure/array (speaker) to the audience, etc.  That being said--

I tend to think that it is ok, especially, if this is a new technical area for the end user/teacher that a basic powered system like a Fender Passport or a Bose Tower System is a great place to start to learn about sound and to experiment with the playback and control options.  These systems have a lot of limitations, but they are also really solid over the long run and can easily transition from classroom, to multipurpose room, to small gymnasium.  You can add input devices such as microphones, digital audio playback devices, computers, etc as you learn and grow.

Ultimately, I think it is good to get an audio professional to come out and look at the space and they can make some recomendations.  It's good information to have.

That's my two cents

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 9.  RE: Recommendations for a budget mixing console

Posted 08-28-2020 02:14
    Good point about the space. Unfortunately, it will be both:
    • A 450 seat old time theater with great acoustics
    • Outside (due to COVID)
    I can see that my budget has no way of accomplishing this in a an overly satisfying way. The question was if it was even possible to create something which was better than nothing.

For years we've used the 450 seat theater without amplification with mixed success. Our production of Fiddler was amazing and I can hear almost all the spoken lines of 14 year olds (which is saying a lot for my aging ears). Due to the great acoustics, the children's voices carry if they are coached well.

Having to transition to outside theater this year was the impetus for change.

Thanks for your input.

Michael

• 10.  RE: Recommendations for a budget mixing console

Posted 08-28-2020 02:04
    Thanks for giving me some brands to look into. I was hoping the $300 powered speakers I linked to in response to the other replies above would allow us to at least perform this year. I understand that Amazon review doesn't make something "decent". I have a lot of googling to do with the advice you and other posters have given. Thanks for the input.

Michael