Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Senior Citizens and Teens together

Posted 08-27-2015 08:08

Hello all, 

We are looking to bring some senior citizens interested in theatre in to work with our students. I am looking for one act shows that would showcase both age groups (an intergenerational show?). Any short shows  or one actsthat are intergenerational? Perhaps a series of monologues or dialogues?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

------------------------------
    Shana DeRose-Smith
    Huron OH

• 2.  RE: Senior Citizens and Teens together

Posted 08-27-2015 08:16

Depending on your cast size, here are a couple of options:

Alan Ayckbourn (spelling?)'s House and Garden are two interconnected plays, little bit British in the level of innuendo and relationship shenanigans, but there are older folks and teens amongst the character list. It's a British comedy, which means it is very funny in that typical British sense of making everyone around fairly uncomfortable.

Wow, I really sold that one!

The other...wow. Squirrel. I totally lost what it was. If I remember, I'll come back and re-post.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 3.  RE: Senior Citizens and Teens together

Posted 08-27-2015 14:40

Thanks Phillip
    Shana DeRose-Smith
    Huron OH

• 4.  RE: Senior Citizens and Teens together

Posted 08-27-2015 23:48

A few years ago I did a writing project with my kids where we went to a retirement home and they were paired up with people in the home. My kids took one morning to interview them about their life. We came up with possible questions in class beforehand. Then they spent 3 days in class writing, rehearsing, and costuming a monologue based on the life of their person. At the end of the week we took them back to the retirement home and they performed the monologues for everyone. It was mostly successful, we did get a handful of complaints that people couldn't hear the monologues clearly but we performed around lunch in the lunch room so that could have been planned better :)
    Summer Rickman
    Hobbs Municipal Schools
    Hobbs NM