Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Magical Realism-Latino Titles

Posted 07-10-2018 13:11
    Hey Folks! 
    I am setting my season up and very much would like for our kids to produce a Latino Magical Realism title. It's been a while since I studied the genre, and I'd love  a list of titles to read through. 

The school where I teach theatre has a population of about 85% Latino students, many of whom speak English as their first language, so some spanish, but not all spanish language would be preferable.

Rebecca Fahning
    Desert Pines High School Theatre /Theatre Tech Teacher
    ITS Troupe 6125, Direector

------------------------------
    Rebecca Fahning
    Theatre Teacher
    Las Vegas NV

• 2.  RE: Magical Realism-Latino Titles

Posted 07-10-2018 15:37
    Cool question. I was never clear on the strict definition of magical realism, but as far as some Spanish-language or Latinx pieces go, I found My Mañana Comes was a rich source for two and three person scenes (4 M, workers in a restaurant). There was also a really good one act, which blurred the lines theatrically, about a young female swimmer who is swimming throughout the piece whilst her family are observing from a boat? Goodness, I wish I could remember the name of it! 

If you're going for a bigger stretch, a great Spanish-influenced piece would be Zorro the Musical; Set between pre-USA California and Spain, music by the Gipsy Kings, it would be perfect for your demographic. Also very exciting and potential for lots of cool sword fighting (we got our students certified through Society of American Fight Directors so that the fights looked more authentic and, more importantly in terms of administration buy-in, safe).

I think you could stretch to 'The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity,' but that is actually really tricky for casting if you're trying to be accurate. 

I know folks here have even better suggestions! Let 'em rip!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON

• 3.  RE: Magical Realism-Latino Titles

Posted 07-11-2018 09:25
    I love The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Diety! We attended a performance at Actors Theatre of Louisville and my stagecraft students were quoting lines from the performance!
    The language is very rough. The F-bomb is a major part of the character's language and I don't see any way to make it "administration acceptable."

John Perry
    Retired Theatre Teacher

• 4.  RE: Magical Realism-Latino Titles

Posted 07-11-2018 10:34
    Hey Phillip,

A simplified definition of Magical Realism is that it is a literary art form which supposes that magical, strange, and fantastical things are a part of real, everyday life, and not relegated to the supernatural world. In an interview Gabriel Garcia Marquez, he uses an example of an iron repairman coming to his house to fix the iron, telling the repairman it is fine, and later the same day, the cord of the iron malfunctions. His point is that the repairman came before the incident happened. It was precognitive, yet considered a part of everyday life rather than a remarkable supernatural event.

Our theme for the season is fairy tale theatre, and a magical realism piece would fit nicely in the season, and afford our population a chance to sink their teeth into something culturally relevant to them. 

Thank you all for your suggestions, I am researching now, and you've given me great stuff to look at. Keep 'em coming, please!

Rebecca Fahning
    Desert Pines High School Theatre/ Tech Director
    ITS Troupe 6125, Troupe Director
    Las Vegas NV

• 5.  RE: Magical Realism-Latino Titles

Posted 07-11-2018 04:40
    Perhaps works by Caridad Svich might work.    She has done English translations of Spanish works,and has plays in both English and Spanish.    I have done only done two pieces (Alchemy of Desire/Dead-Man's Blues and 12 Ophelias: a play in broken songs) and loved them.

Body of Work
    Caridadsvich remove preview
    Body of Work
    Caridad Svich is a playwright-lyricist-translator and editor of Cuban-Spanish-Argentine-Croatian descent. She was profiled in the July/August 2009 issue of American Theatre magazine.
    View this on Caridadsvich >

Korreen Ditschler
    APO AE

• 6.  RE: Magical Realism-Latino Titles

Posted 07-11-2018 10:00
    You might look at the works of Nilo Cruz, best known for Anna in the Tropics. He adapted Marquez's Very Old Man with Enormous Wings, which is magical realism if anything is.

Rob Kimbro
    Theatre Teacher
    Houston TX

• 7.  RE: Magical Realism-Latino Titles

Posted 07-12-2018 15:06
    Cara Mia Theatre in Dallas kind of specializes in this genre. Here's the website address. https://www.caramiatheatre.org

I bet they could help you a lot. Even looking at their season would give you some good titles.

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled,

Kelly Thomas

Poteet Pirate Theatre

• 8.  RE: Magical Realism-Latino Titles

Posted 07-13-2018 10:06

Consider checking out: Nine Plays by José Cruz González: Magical Realism and Mature Themes in Theatre for Young Audiences 

and: Bocón! 

Please let me know if you would like additional recommendations and I'd be happy to help!

Carrie Blomquist
    Dramatic Publishing

Carrie Blomquist
    Professional Leasing Director
    Dramatic Publishing
    Woodstock, IL