Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Mask-Making Help

Posted 02-20-2017 10:41
    I want to combine some history units (Ancient Greek, Commedia) & a world theatre (still TBD) with mask making. Does anyone have a unit/materials/anything on this that you could share with me?

------------------------------
    Jessica Shaw
    Speech and Drama Teacher
    Alexandria VA

• 2.  RE: Mask-Making Help

Posted 02-20-2017 11:21
      |   view attached

Good morning Jessica,

I have taught masks for the last several years and am glad to share with you what I know, plus I'll throw in my Evolution of Theatre (Greeks & Commedia del Arte) PDF free of charge!  

I combine mask making as part of understanding the origins of theatre from the Greeks and as a way of introducing the concept of the mask as both a costume piece and an actual character to be 'donned' for a performance.  This makes for a wonderful hands-on project which segues into Commedia del'arte.

Originally, I used paper mache and although I still talk about it as a viable medium with which to create masks, I no longer use it for the mask project because of the mess.  I have since moved on to plaster bandages.  They're inexpensive (Amazon: ACTIVA Rigid Wrap Plaster Cloth, 5 pounds).  I have also taught "found item" masks which can be whole lot of fun too!  Found items are paper plates, cloth pieces, Solo cups, you name it and you can make it into a mask--excellent for having them construct masks based on specific characters from a play you're reading.

If you're looking for a great online resource about masks, take a look at the work of David Knezz (David Knezz Maskmaker

Mask-maker remove preview
    David Knezz Maskmaker
    David Knezz is a professional mask maker based in Chicago, creating detailed works of art for theatrical, professional and personal uses.
    View this on Mask-maker >

); very nice fellow, talked to him when we did "Phantom of the Opera" about how to cast a neoprene mask for our Phantom.

I'm attaching the PDF of my Greek & Commedia PowerPoint for you (or anyone else who's interested) to look over and use as you wish.  If you'd like more details on the how and what I teach, feel free to shoot me an email directly at theatreartsteach@gmail.com

Best of luck in your mask making!
    Aaron

Amazon remove preview
    ACTIVA Rigid Wrap Plaster Cloth, 5 pounds
    Shop Activa at the Amazon Arts, Crafts & Sewing store. Free Shipping on eligible items. Save on everyday low prices.
    View this on Amazon >

)

Aaron Miller
    Troupe #1523
    Tullahoma, TN

Attachment(s)

• 3.  RE: Mask-Making Help

Posted 02-20-2017 13:38
      |   view attached
    When we did Don Zolidis' The Birds we used varaform, a thermoplastic, for the bird masks. It's easy to work with and melts at a low temperature so it's not dangerous for students to use. If you need pointers on how to use it, I'd be glad to help.

We cast the actor's face with aginate then made a positive with plaster. We built up the mask design with clay and then put the varaform over the clay. The students did most of the work. I've attached some photos of the finished product.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 4.  RE: Mask-Making Help

Posted 02-21-2017 09:39
    As a mask maker, since 1976, creating everything from paper, neoprene latex and leather masks, from Commedia dell'Arte to custom theater masks, dance, opera and even pro-wrestling high end masks.    Having students create there own masks can help students in many ways.    The simplest and lowest cost mask making is paper meche or cloth meche.   Students getting there hands in clay can be very helpful and some of my students have had major theater and personal breakthroughs after working in clay creating their mask.  

Here is what you need.
    1. Boards about one foot square for the students to work on.  Any scrap board will do.
    2. Water based clay - which is the cheep and many schools already have it.  The art department most likely has some.   It feels better in the hand and chemical clay can cause problems with some substances in the release.
    3. White glue, dilute it about 3 to 1.   Any kind of cheep white glue works.   Do not use wallpaper paste as they changed the formula and it is now somewhat toxic.  You can also use white flour but over time it can attract bugs that like eating it in some climates.
    4.  Paper, different kinds of paper does different things.  Glossy magazine paper moves really well.  You can use different types of paper from news print to old homework and paper bags work well.  Students can even in the last layer use different colors and images from printed paper as the last coat instead of painting the mask. 
    5. Elastic to attach to your mask to hold it on.
    6. plastic wrap.  After they finish their mask sculpture in clay they carefully put the plastic wrap in pieces / sections over their clay sculpture - then put the paper meche on.  This is for a totally clean release from the clay mold.
    7. Paint if they are painting them.
    8. You can also use cloth instead of paper. 
    9. Some rags to dip in water and wrap around the clay, then covered or put into a plastic bag to keep the clay moist.  This is so they can work on their mask over time and the clay does not dry out.  Some might even want to bring it home with them and work on it.
    10. Some bowls of water to use when sculpting.

Teaching theater masks making is one of the many things I do.

Here are some tips:
    a.  Rather than cut out eyes, noses holes etc.  When they do the paper meche they meche the eyes as they will be.  They will be apply there paper meche so the eyes are open.  
    b. Wrap the edges of the nose, eyes and sides with paper meshe at the end.
    c. They can always add more paper meche to the mask to create effects not in the sculpture.
    d. Use different kinds and colors of paper for each layer. That way you know how many layers one has done.   You want 5 to 7 layers.
    e. The students can sew and glue on the elastic.  Make the point where the elastic is attached stronger with a few more layers of paper.

Warnings:
    Plaster gauze bandages can be easy to use.  But for masks they can be a little  heavy.    But if you do use them.  Be sure to seal the eye holes as little bits of plaster can flak off and get into eyes.   

No matter what you use wrapping the edges of the eyes to create a smooth surface and can help seals it.  You want to avoid cutting anything.  Paper Meche the finished look.

If you are making a life mask using plaster gauze bandages, be sure to cover the students eyes with sterilized medical gauze and coat the face including  eyebrows etc with baby oil.  Also cover the hair.  One does not want the students eyebrows or eyelashes  stuck in the plaster gauze bandage mask when it drys on their face.   Taking it off sometime means a trip to emergency room.

History,
    Greek Tragedy masks.  The reason for the large open mouth is the masks worked as a megaphone, having a piece of copper in the megaphone part of the mask.  Copper is one of the oldest metals known to civilization. The large open mouth megaphone was their amplification in the large open air theaters.

Yes I do teach mask making and well as Commedia dell'Arte and have done a few sessions with people using skype.  Will be doing 4 Summer workshops in NYC,  Commedia dell'Arte: June 19 - 30 - which includes mask making; 
    Mime - Movement -Rhythm: July 10  -  15; 
    Neutral Mask and Metaphysical Mask Lab: July 10 - 15; 
    Creating Original Material: July 16 - 21.  
    For more info on my workshops go to Roving Classical Commedia University* Mask Mime Movement Juggling Acrobatics Music Dance History Theatre Commedia Dell'Arte
    Commediau remove preview
    Roving Classical Commedia University* Mask Mime Movement Juggling Acrobatics Music Dance History Theatre Commedia Dell'Arte
    A new Commedia dell'Arte school, Physical comedy, Commedia characters, Acting, Lazzi, Mime, del'arte, Acrobatics, Mime Movement Theatre, Mask work, Mask Making, Hovey Burgess, Stanley Allan Sherman
    View this on Commediau >

For  mask information go to Mask Arts Co - Stanley Allan Sherman Leather Theatre Masks Neoprene Latex Masks for Theater, Dance, Wrestling, Commedia dell'Arte, Clowns, Opera. Custom made masks, Clown Noses, specializes in molding leather.
    Maskarts remove preview
    Mask Arts Co - Stanley Allan Sherman Leather Theatre Masks Neoprene Latex Masks for Theater, Dance, Wrestling, Commedia dell'Arte, Clowns, Opera. Custom made masks, Clown Noses, specializes in molding leather.
    Leather and neoprene Commedia dell'Arte masks; Theatre and Wrestling, Neutral mask, Dance, mime classes, Clowns, Opera, custom made masks, Clown Noses, molding leather.
    View this on Maskarts >

If you have a good art teacher, he or she would most likely be able to give you some hands on help.    You can always contact me directly.    

One of my Commedia dell'Arte and mask making students always did mask making with his High School theater classes for 16 years.  For him it was always a great success, one of his students favorite parts of the theater class, both the making their masks and acting in their masks. Lots of educational fun.

If you want to bring in a mask maker - I do workshops for school and universities as well, if you would like someone local.  I know many of the mask makers around the country, let me know what city you are in.

[Stanley Allan] [Sherman] [Custom theater mask making, Commedia dell'Arte masks & workshops. NYC winter holiday workshops and summer workshops]
    [Mask Maker, Commedia dell'Arte expert, Teacher, Mime, Movement, Actor, Director, performer, producer of workshops and shows.]
    [Mask Arts Company www.maskart.com]
    [New York] [NY][stanley@maskarts.com[212-255-2882][il-dottore@commediau.com][New York][NY][Roving Classical Commedia University* (*totally unaccredited) ]

• 5.  RE: Mask-Making Help

Posted 02-23-2017 22:13
    I can also vouch for both the work of David Knezz and Stanley Allen Sherman.

One of the other really quick and dirty techniques I've used for some mask making on a budget is making use of plaster life casts of faces (of which there are tons of tutorial on youtube), platalina roma to sculpt the matrix.  And the material I use is burlap soaked in a thinned glue (elmers white glue and water 2:1 mixture).  I drape the burlap over the form and then use gallon sized ziplock bags of sand on top of the wet burlap until it dries.  This method is a bit messy as the thinned glue drips away.

You can then glue felt on the inside to help the mask be a bit more comfortable.

Good luck!

Scott Schoonover
    Technical Director
    Saint Louis University High School
    St. Louis MO