Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Equipment for Web Series

Posted 11-25-2016 11:35

Hey there,

I am going to do one or two episodes of a web series through our Thespian Troupe this winter and spring. This is fairly new to me in terms of the technology. 

Can anyone recommend the following:

--a camera that will produce HD, TV quality. I don't want it to look amateurish. I want it to be of a quality that you might see on adult swim, or the Nick show "Mr. Meaty". 

--Sound equipment. What types of boom mics might you suggest? We have body mics. Any other equipment you might suggest in this realm would be helpful. 

I am a total novice with this stuff, and so I'm open to even the most elementary advice. I plan on having students take control of every aspect, from sound to lighting to writing to acting. Also, puppetry, since some of the characters will be puppets. 

Thanks,

Dave Engel

------------------------------
    David Engel
    Theater Department Head
    Fayetteville-Manlius School District
    Manlius NY

• 2.  RE: Equipment for Web Series

Posted 11-26-2016 22:08

Hi David.  I used to substitute teach in Raleigh, North Carolina at Needham Broughton high school. They had an incredible TV production studio that was run by the students. Unfortunately I do not remember any names, and I'm not even sure if the teacher is the same. It might be a starting point though. They used green screen, and had all state of the art equipment and software for editing. 

J. Michael Beech
    Gastonia NC