Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Sage Advice--Joining Your State Board-The value of volunteerism!

Posted 03-02-2022 10:01

I want to encourage all of you to consider joining/volunteering on your state board.  Is it a time commitment? Yes  Is it worth your time? Yes.  Many of the best theatre teachers around your state serve on this board.  They can become great mentors to you and the wealth of knowledge in the room makes for great networking opportunities.  They do much the same job that you do AND they help design programing for many of the activities around your state.  Want a voice? Join the board.  Have ideas of how to make state events better? Join the board!  Wonder why things happen the way they do? Join the board!  Want to be a better teacher? Join the board.  They will help you! All you have to do is ask. At a recent AZ State board meeting I asked why are you on this board? The responses were as varied as the personalities on our board:

I serve on the board because:

I like the networking

The other theatre directors on the board inspire me to be better

It gives me a voice and helps me grow programs

I believe in volunteering and I want to give back to a program that has given me so much!(Alumni member)

I can speak for smaller schools and ensure that their voice is heard.

My students are more invested in state wide activities because I am invested in the state as a board member.

It combats isolation….. I am the only theatre teacher at my school.

The have great snacks at their meetings!

Need ideas/help with sets or costumes….many will loan you things once they get to know you. Frustrated with circumstances at your school?  The board can help you come up with solutions to many issues or at least have an empathetic ear for you. As a board member I have had the opportunity to attend leadership activities offered through EDTA and learned to be an advocate in Washington D.C.   I am thankful for the friendships I have developed over the years, both locally and nationally, so much so that I continue to serve with AZ Thespians even though I am retired and am no longer connected to a school .  State boards are valuable organizations that are always grateful for volunteers. Who knows, maybe one of your ideas will be used at your state’s next event! 

Linda Phillips
    Arizona Thespians
    lrphilli@msn.com
    linda.phillips@arizonathespians.com

------------------------------
    Linda Phillips
    Arizona
    AZ
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Sage Advice--Joining Your State Board-The value of volunteerism!

Posted 03-03-2022 12:45
    Thank you, Linda for your sage advice!  Not only did I benefit from my association with the state board, but so did my students.  I must also admit that, periodically, my fellow board members helped me get through tough times.  Working together builds bonds; my students made life long friends, and so did I!

Marilynn S. Zeljeznjak 
    Retired CA Thespian State Director
    "Life is Brief - Art is Eternal"