Open Forum

View Only

Inactive seniors wanting graduation cords

• 1.  Inactive seniors wanting graduation cords

Posted 05-03-2018 11:27
    Greetings,
    I have three seniors who have not been in any of our performances, nor assisted backstage, nor attended or participated in our festivals during their entire senior year who are now asking for Thespian honor cords to wear for graduation.  My first response is to deny this request due to their inactivity.  What say you?

------------------------------
    Max Dashner
    Director/Drama Teacher
    Decatur AL

• 2.  RE: Inactive seniors wanting graduation cords

Posted 05-03-2018 12:36
    I have it written in our Constitution that only active Thespians - attend 80% of Troupe meetings and participate in at least one show will receive awards in that year.  That applies to all grade levels.  I don't think it's right to give accolades to anyone who is no longer a part of the program especially honors for Seniors who have not contributed and it's a financial drain on our funds.  

It's particularly bothersome to me when Seniors who are no longer offering their time or talents to the program come asking for cords.  They just want the bling for graduation.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 3.  RE: Inactive seniors wanting graduation cords

Posted 05-03-2018 14:15
    We run our like this as well.

Joel King
    Atlanta GA

• 4.  RE: Inactive seniors wanting graduation cords

Posted 05-04-2018 03:49
    We have been actively battling this for the past few years. We make it very clear that you must remain an ACTIVE Thespian to receive your Honor Cord. We give two written warnings and include parents in the final one. We meet with the student and officers to make sure they know what is coming. We have only had a couple of seniors recently who we have removed from 'active' and have not received cords. This does seem to be an important issue to the vast majority of students who really care and remain active. I think it's about what feels fair.

Tom Schulz
    Singapore

• 5.  RE: Inactive seniors wanting graduation cords

Posted 05-04-2018 09:37
    Hi Max.

We have troupe bylaws that were written by officers and updated every couple of years. In those, it says once inducted, a student must remain active by participating in shows, activities, and attending meetings to receive a cord at graduation. I could send you a pdf of our bylaws if you're interested.

Tami LoSasso
    Chapter Director
    Colorado State Thespians
    Denver, CO

• 6.  RE: Inactive seniors wanting graduation cords

Posted 02-12-2019 10:26
    I would love a copy of your bylaws as this is my first year with my Thespian troupe.  My email is hsmith@marietta-city.k12.ga.us.  Thank you!

Holly Smith
    Theatre Director
    Marietta City Schools
    Marietta GA

• 7.  RE: Inactive seniors wanting graduation cords

Posted 05-04-2018 10:13

In my troupe,  they have to be an active member to receive  cords.  If they did nothing senior year they are not in good standing and get no cords.

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled,

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org

• 8.  RE: Inactive seniors wanting graduation cords

Posted 05-04-2018 10:32
    We don't have all seniors wear honors at graduation, just ones who earn 30 points or more, which could be done in less than four years.  If they are thespians, they are thespians for life, correct?  It seems to me that is they chose other activities during their senior year, and were not inactive due to disciplinary reasons, they are entitled to whatever they earned during their involvement.  I think we should encourage openness and discourage cliques.  Plus, if I earn a varsity sports letter junior year, and then don't play my senior year because i joined the play, coaches don't ask for the letter back.  I earned it.  Rejoice with them, slay the fatted calf, and reminisce about how much fun you had together.

Chris Fallows
    Director
    Brentwood CA

• 9.  RE: Inactive seniors wanting graduation cords

Posted 05-04-2018 12:01
    We recognize all seniors who are graduating at the annual Inductions, Honors, and Awards Night but only active and seniors are given honors. Additionally, for me, the students have to show a minimum of a cumulative 3.0 GPA in order to receive their earned honors. Thespians are supposed to represent the best our school has to offer and, in except in vary rare circumstances, I hold them to this minimum academic requirement.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 10.  RE: Inactive seniors wanting graduation cords

Posted 05-04-2018 13:17
    Our bylaws state that Thespians must attend meetings and participate in some way on all shows, even if just coming to a Saturday work day or working as an usher.  No inactive senior gets a cord.  Not a chance.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 11.  RE: Inactive seniors wanting graduation cords

Posted 05-05-2018 20:42
    Unless you have specific bylaws stating that they must remain active, then I don't feel like you can deny them. Technically they earned membership into ITS and are inducted members- that's what the honor cord signifies unless your individual troupe has designated otherwise.

You may want to update bylaws if you want a clear answer in the future.

Scott Wilson
    School Counselor
    Columbus City Schools
    Columbus OH

• 12.  RE: Inactive seniors wanting graduation cords

Posted 05-07-2018 07:32
    I agree with Chris Fallows and Scott Wilson, for the reasons they stated. Plus, if a student were not involved during their freshman and sophomore years, but active enough to earn a cord during their junior and senior years, they get a cord--but students who do the opposite don't get one? Not fair, in my book.

Michael Corliss
    Livonia MI

• 13.  RE: Inactive seniors wanting graduation cords

Posted 05-07-2018 08:27
    It depends on what an honor cord represents in the context of your troupe.  An honor chord for us means that the student not only earned a certain number of points but gave quality contribution to the "team".  If you play Football your freshman year only you don't get a varsity letter your Senior year.  Not every Senior in our Troupe receives cords, they must have earned their Honor Bar and have been an active member.  We don't give them for participation.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 14.  RE: Inactive seniors wanting graduation cords

Posted 05-07-2018 22:05
    We have in our policy a rule that states that even though a senior may have earned Honor Thespian status (60+ points) s/he must earn a minimum of 10 points during their senior year.  This has prevented the occasional under class person who was very active during their freshman and sophomore years and then who we don't see again until their hand is out for their honor cords at graduation.

Steve Halper
    Theatre Assistant & Co-sponsor
    Salpointe Catholic High School
    Tucson, AZ