Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Smoking on Stage options

Posted 01-31-2018 17:22
    ​Good afternoon everyone,

The question has been brought to my attention for an answer regarding smoking on stage as part of a performance. Our University has a No Smoking policy for all of campus. Smoking of any kind is prohibited including vapor and Herbal cigarettes. This makes it tough to put on a play based on a 1970's Café scene where smoking was always the norm in any of those kinds of establishments during that time. With our policy in mind, are there any options available to make it look like the actors are smoking without violating our Campus and State policy?

------------------------------
    Douglas Stretch
    Fire and Life Safety Officer II
    Illinois State University
    Normal IL

• 2.  RE: Smoking on Stage options

Posted 01-31-2018 23:43
    Depending on what you need the cigarettes to do, and your budget, I'd look at a few different options:
    -fake cigarettes often used as party accessories, but with "ash" on the ends
    -fake cigarettes with an LED built in
    -cigarette tubes, which are just empty cigarettes

Amazon and some party supply stores carry these.

Sydney Thiessen
    Fine & Performing Arts Coordinator and Technical Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 3.  RE: Smoking on Stage options

Posted 02-01-2018 08:19
    We use fake cigarettes and it works fine. Bought them at the costume shop/novelty store.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 4.  RE: Smoking on Stage options

Posted 02-01-2018 09:46
    I highly recommend the Actor's Cigarette. While it's similar to a vape pen, the contents are completely inert. I've used this several times; it looks great on stage and doesn't cause any issues with the actor. Because of the contents, you may be able to get around your state's laws--I equate it to a tiny, mouth-held fog machine. :) 

https://www.newrulefx.com/collections/actor-cigarette

Patrick McGuire
    Drama Director
    Round Lake High School
    Round Lake, IL

• 5.  RE: Smoking on Stage options

Posted 02-01-2018 12:37
    I'm mentioning this only because I've seen it on stage too many times, especially nowadays with all the rules and regulations. If the cigarettes are so realistic that they will fool the audience, you will have a bunch of people lose their focus on the story and ask each other, "Are those real?"

The play is not about cigarettes -- it's about the story. You were correct in that people back then smoked all the time and everywhere, so nobody paid any attention to it. That's what you want here: it looks right, so nobody needs to pay attention to it.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 6.  RE: Smoking on Stage options

Posted 02-05-2018 09:15
    ​Good morning everyone,

Thank you all for replying to this post and giving me some Great ideas! I will check on Amazon and also our Party City store in town and give them some options. I appreciate the members of this forum and your knowledge and experience. Keep up the Great work!

Douglas Stretch
    Fire and Life Safety Officer II
    Illinois State University
    Normal IL