Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Musical Suggestion

Posted 03-18-2022 10:29
    I am reaching out because I have an interesting situation.  I am planning for next year's season and my principal has asked that I think about diverse texts.  He specifically stated something along the lines of "The Wiz" which we did a couple of years ago.  We have a very diverse student population and to be honest, most of my cast is African American, Indian or Hispanic so I am on board with this - I am just struggling to pick something that will meet his request.  I am looking between "Once on This Island" and "Aida" right now - unless someone can give me another idea.  I have already done "In The Heights" as well  I refuse to do "Hairspray" on principal. Any suggestions or comments on the two I am decideing between?

------------------------------
    Michelle Meyer
    Clarksburg High School
    MD

• 2.  RE: Musical Suggestion

Posted 03-18-2022 11:33
    Oooo. What a wonderful situation to be in. May we all be so lucky to have diverse programs. 

Between Aida and Once on This Island- Once on This Island is certainly the "lighter" and brighter of the two. However, Aida is wildly underrated and is a great option as well. Both have a village/peasant chorus, which is usually pretty easy to costume. Both address themes of being a foreigner or outsider due to race and/or social class. Both have a tragic ending that requires some strategic staging. 

If you're digging for other ideas, West Side Story is a classic but requires a ton of guys. I'm not as familiar with it, but I know Ragtime needs a diverse cast. I think there is also something to be said about choosing a musical that doesn't address race head on and allows you to forget usual casting (I'm thinking 1997's Cinderella). Our program just finished a delightful run of The Little Mermaid with a fairly diverse cast (considering our school population). But that may not be the goal for your program, especially with your principal's comment. Whatever you choose, know your students will follow your lead in how you treat your text.

Hannah Agee
    Emmanuel Christian Academy

• 3.  RE: Musical Suggestion

Posted 03-18-2022 12:02
    Thank you for this!  I usually try to do shows which are non-specific and allow for flexible casting (both racially and gender fluidity), but it does seem like he wants something very specific this time.  I guess it comes down to heavy or light subject matter!

Michelle Meyer
    Clarksburg High School
    MD

• 4.  RE: Musical Suggestion

Posted 03-19-2022 06:39
    I directed Once on This Island with great trepidation a couple of years ago. It was different than anything I had done before. It was a WONDERFUL experience! The possibilities for staging and sets and choreography are endless.

• 5.  RE: Musical Suggestion

Posted 03-19-2022 06:28
    I saw an almost all black cast perform Seussical the Musical as a one act at our Florida State Thespian Festival this week that was the best performance I have ever seen. Their use of African dance, hip hop, colorful costumes, and soaring vocals made me forget that the only scenery they had was a 2'x2' box with four scenes painted on it and turned with each scene change. I've seen this show on tour and directed it five times, but never anything this fun and creative. Simple leggings and t-shirts with quick changes into different hats, skirts, pants with ruffles, etc. meant a cast of 20-30 played multiple characters. The energy was palpable. Jojo was "reading" different Dr. Seuss books with easily recognizable covers to help us understand how this musical pieces together the plots from different stories. Something to think about. I'll never forget it.
    The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

• 6.  RE: Musical Suggestion

Posted 03-19-2022 18:22
    How about Ragtime?

Jodi Williams

• 7.  RE: Musical Suggestion

Posted 03-19-2022 23:53
    I've directed Aida, Ragtime, and Once on This Island.  Ragtime is the most direct piece that takes on racism, anti-immigrant, and anti-semitic attitudes head-on.  BUT, and this is important, the final moments of the show present the American ideal of a fully blended family as the hope for the future of America.  Here is a picture of the final moments of the my high school's performance.   The show was performed many years ago and many people would probably object to a predominantly white and non-Jewish cast mounting this show.  And I respect their positions in the context of our present world.  (I differentiated people of color, immigrants (centering on Jewish immigrants), and WASPs by costume colors.  Red for POC, Blue for Jewish immigrants, and White for WASPS.   The bibs forming the American Flag were not used any other point in the show.)  Just sharing...Aida and Once on This Island were also wonderful pieces on which to work.  Great music in all 3 shows although many of Ragtime's songs are powerful Anthems.  

David Kramer
    NY