Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  TRAP (Gregg) Casting; smaller cast

Posted 01-04-2020 13:17
    I am considering doing "Trap" this spring, but it would be with a smaller cast, maybe about 12. Has anyone done this? And/or does anyone have a spreadsheet with a breakdown of characters in each scene? Thank you!

------------------------------
    Cora Turlish
    Metuchen NJ

• 2.  RE: TRAP (Gregg) Casting; smaller cast

Posted 01-06-2020 23:15
    Hi Cora,

The back of the script has sample breakdowns for how you might cast the play with 18 or 10 actors, and a guide to which to characters are in which scenes. There's also a rough guide to how big each of the parts are.  (The parts are all gender-swappable.)

Cheers!

Stephen Gregg
    Playwright
    Venice CA

• 3.  RE: TRAP (Gregg) Casting; smaller cast

Posted 01-16-2020 12:52
    Stephen, thank you so much for your reply. Could you clarify "gender-swappable"? Can the gender of the character be changed (with appropriate pronoun alterations if needed), or must the characters stay gendered as originally written? The script seems to indicate flexibility for Marion Jay, but I wasn't sure about other characters. THANK YOU.

Cora Turlish
    Metuchen NJ

• 4.  RE: TRAP (Gregg) Casting; smaller cast

Posted 01-16-2020 17:13
    Hey Cora,

Sure! Because the play is documentary theatre, boys could play roles written for girls, and vice versa, Anna DeVeare Smith style. 

But much more likely is that you just change the gender of the character, and make adjustments as necessary. Angela becomes Angelo, and so on. In some cases the opposite gender name won't be obvious, and you'll have to get creative. (I'm happy to weigh in.)

The one character I guess I'd really prefer stay female is Heche, new to a job in a traditionally male profession, her gender adds implicit obstacle. 

Steve

• 5.  RE: TRAP (Gregg) Casting; smaller cast

Posted 01-17-2020 13:29
    Thanks so much! I have put my order in with Playscripts and will be moving ahead with auditions in February, so this is very helpful. Having a female Heche will not be a problem -- it's so refreshing to do a play with leading female roles that have no romantic story line! 

I will be in touch if I have any questions about "converting" names. I really appreciate your offer to be a resource in this way.

Cora Turlish
    Metuchen NJ

• 6.  RE: TRAP (Gregg) Casting; smaller cast

Posted 01-10-2020 08:53
    Great character show for the students. We had a lot of fun with it back in Nov.  We actually built the glowing eyes and have the IV bags (that will glow).  Looking to sell both if interested, let me know and I will send photos   I don't think it will be difficult to do with 12, make them a chorus and pull characters out for each scene.  There are only a few that need to be distinct characters.

Kendra Knoblock
    Teacher - Director
    Rome0 MI

• 7.  RE: TRAP (Gregg) Casting; smaller cast

Posted 01-11-2020 08:29
    The TRAP script has various lists of doublings according to size of cast.  It's a good place to start.

My actors really enjoyed working on it...the "tells," the surprise ending, the secrecy of prior to the performances, and the audience members (including a parent) who were "plants."

Advice: use the offered music tracks, they are "storytellers" too.

David Kramer
    Mt Sinai NY

• 8.  RE: TRAP (Gregg) Casting; smaller cast

Posted 01-16-2020 11:58
    Thanks to everyone who posted! I had loaned out my script book and was referring the version published in the EdTA magazine -- now that I have the official script back I see the character breakdowns mentioned, which are indeed super-helpful (although I've noticed some mistakes, I think). I've also put together a spreadsheet that I think would be really helpful to me during casting -- sharing it here for future generations…

TRAP character spreadsheet

Cora Turlish
    Metuchen NJ

• 9.  RE: TRAP (Gregg) Casting; smaller cast

Posted 11-14-2023 09:30

Hello Ms.Turlish!

I was wondering if you could provide a key fro your spreadsheet if possible! Thank you very much in advance!

DaShawn Griffin