Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  What does your dream HS theatre program include?

Posted 01-04-2017 10:02

What does your theatre program look like? Or even better, your dream theatre program?

My theatre program is growing but in a time of change. We currently produce a play, a musical, and student-directed one act plays each year. We also have a Student Theatre Council that basically helps pick our season and runs the end-of-year banquet. I'm wondering-- what else is worth our time and energy? Thespian Society? Speech team? Comedy Sportz or an improv troupe? A touring company? Something else? 

What has been successful for you? What do your students love? What do YOU love? I have a small program at a small school, but am excited to explore the possibilities. Thanks in advance for your ideas!

------------------------------
    Lindsay Hearn Brustein
    St. Stephen's Episcopal School
    Austin TX

• 2.  RE: What does your dream HS theatre program include?

Posted 01-05-2017 06:32

Hi Lindsey - Doesn't SSES have an academy program?  I designed the program Theatre Focus and am a bit confused at your question?  IS Theatre Focus no longer an academy offered or has the theatre department separate from TF?  I am now in a new position in Miami but was at SSES for eight years before I left for New Hampshire.  I write and develop theatre curriculum and am interested in what it is you are "dreaming" for in a program.  Are you trying to be a college prep in Theatre or performance based?  Or both?  Or looking to develop a progression of courses?  Interested in your thoughts and inquiry.  Developing a "dream program" i believe depends on your overall goals for the program - what does a student look like when they graduate from the program?  How does it match the Mission of the school?  

David

David Valdes
    Director of Theatre
    Miami Country Day School
    Miami Florida

valdesd@miamicountyrday.org