Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  A Question of Timing...

Posted 02-27-2017 13:50
    "Asking for a friend"!
    Caught on the horns of a dilemma, and I'd really like some advice. So far the advice has been an even 50/50 split.

If a teacher is leaving their position, possibly even leaving the country to pursue other avenues (yet still related to theatre), or even if a teacher is leaving their theatre position regardless of wherever they're going, when is the best time to share with one's students that you're leaving?

Do you wait until after the big show near the end of the year, so you don't destroy the excitement and momentum?
    Or do you tell them a couple of weeks before the end of the year show, so that they know 'this is the last show and the end of an era?'
    Or does one just wait until a week before the end of the year?

The third option is the least liked to me personally, and I've gotten conflicting advice on options one and two from non-theatre teachers. Does anyone have any advice on timing, or more specifically, the timing of the announcement of one leaving?

I've been really stuck on this problem for a little while now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

------------------------------
    Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 2.  RE: A Question of Timing...

Posted 02-27-2017 14:23
    Phillip,

Thank you for posing this question to the group. I am in the same situation, although it's not urgent. I have spoken with my supervisor and other colleagues for guidance. Mixed bag at best. I thought I would divest myself of the after school play and musical for my last year, letting someone else take the helm there, yet still teach my classes for my 25 th year before retirement. I would then be here to help the new person (I am the director, tech director) if necessary, especially with the tech, as no one knows the ins and outs of this space better than me.
    It has been suggested that this is not a good idea. I would steal the new person's thunder. I get that. But I also don't want the program I have nurtured for so long to fall apart. (But I know I have to let go).
    My supervisor says it should be a clean break. Do my usual thing until the end of the year and announce my retirement. (That would be May of 2018). My district requires 60 days notice when leaving, so I could give notice in mid April, and time it to be done by mid June.) Our show closed end of March.
    I am not a "party person", and don't need parties/retirement dinners, or anything, so I think I am leaning toward the April announcement. But it would also be a real treat to just teach my classes and go home at 3:00 with someone else staying for rehearsals/construction meetings etc. 
    I am at a middle school and our current show will be my 52nd in the district. I think it's time to move on, but want to make it to 25 years. Letting the kids know will be a surprise, but maybe that's a good thing. What would be the point of all the kids knowing early on that this is the end of an era? When it's over, it's over. 
    Sorry for the rambling..... not sure what to do either.
    Any other thoughts would be appreciated

Ron Wells

• 3.  RE: A Question of Timing...

Posted 02-28-2017 07:12
    Save the announcement until after the show.  Let the show be about the kids and their work.  If your "friend's" students are anything like mine, they don't need any further distractions beyond the show itself.  
    I've ended up transferring schools a number of times in the last 24 years.  In one case, the students knew in advance that I was leaving.  They handled it well, largely because they never expected a teacher to last more than 2-3 years at that school. All the other times, I've held off telling them until after the final show, usually at the ITS end of year banquet.  

Robert Ellis
    North Richmond VA

• 4.  RE: A Question of Timing...

Posted 03-01-2017 01:19

​Change is hard but a fact of life. I think it is more respectul of your students to tell them ahead and let them grieve their loss. Think about it from their point of view. If we had a friend who moved without telling us, we would be hurt.  I honestly feel that telling them before and letting that last show with you build great memories for them is more honorable of them. 

Amy Sando,
    Douglas High School Drama
    392-1543

"Whether you think you can or can't, you're right!"   Henry Ford

• 5.  RE: A Question of Timing...

Posted 03-01-2017 08:38
    It's never an actual question at my school. Often the students know a teacher is leaving before the teacher does. And even if they don't, they'll know within a week of that teacher putting in paperwork. Nosey community and EVERYTHING goes on the school board agenda, which is online and open to anyone.
    The last time I left a school was due to RIF and I was given my letter the last teacher day of school, which was three days after the students left. I prefer to have had the opportunity to say "goodbye." If I had my choice, I would tell them at the end of the strike party after the last show of the year.

Chelsea Petty
    Columbus MS