Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Fall Play Suggestion

Posted 03-20-2017 10:42
    I am directing our 2017 fall play. I have a large program with LOTS of kids. I am graduating a large (and my most talented) group of seniors. I will have lots of freshmen coming in, so I want to do large cast. I am considering "Alice in Wonderland" or something else family friendly---not a musical. Any suggestions? Thinking more comedic--we have done heavy drama the past three years. 

------------------------------
    Andrea Gustafson
    Morris IL

• 2.  RE: Fall Play Suggestion

Posted 03-20-2017 12:29
    Try looking at Happily Ever Once Upon by Virginia Kidd. I think Sam French has it. It's the Cinderella story 20 years after they marry; recognizable characters but new story line. I don't remember exactly the number of kids in it but it was definitely at least a medium sized cast. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Fall Play Suggestion

Posted 03-21-2017 03:16
    Both Ken Ludwig's "The Three Musketeers" and "Treasure Island" come to mind if you want something with a recognizable title.  Neither are pure comedies, but Ken's writing has many comedic opportunities.   They both have ensemble opportunities in townspeople, pirates, taverns, etc.  Can be flexible casting opportunities up to and around 30.

"Peter and the Starcatcher" has the possibility for a flexible size cast from 12-30. 

There's always the Kaufman and Hart classics "The Man Who Came to Dinner" and "You Can't Take It With You," which can accommodate casts up to and around 30. 

Any of the "Abridged" series can also work.  "Complete Works of William Shakespeare Abridged," "Complete History of America Abridged."  The "Abridged" series can also have flexible casting.

Jessica Harms
    Theatre Director
    Acton MA

• 4.  RE: Fall Play Suggestion

Posted 03-21-2017 15:01
    This is actually a very small cast in terms of major parts and a very short play.  I do love it though!

Karen L. Fairbank
    Director of College Counseling and Student Activities
    Chair, Social Studies Department

T H O M A S   J E F F E R S O N   S C H O O L

4100 S. Lindbergh Blvd.

St. Louis, MO  63127

Tel:   +1 314.843.4151, ext. 2360

Fax:  +1 314.843.3527