Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Creating a season over 4 years

Posted 05-15-2018 11:38

We always try and look at not only the shows within a season, but also what a student may experience over their four years with our program, specifically with musicals.  We do 2 plays and one musical each year, plus a student-directed one-act festival.  So, there are many opportunities for students to experience various genres of plays, but they only get 4 options for musicals.  Our musical is typically large (over 60).  I'm stuck on shows for next year.  The seniors will have done Big Fish, Addam's Family, and Hello Dolly.  (we like them to have a classic, a dance show, a more modern show, and also give them a great story to tell, etc. You know what I mean ��)

So... next year I have a significant number of senior girls who have been "waiting in the wings" as very talented upperclassmen have had leading roles.  I want to select a show with females being featured, but not a "fluff" show.  I want there to be some meat in it.  We have tons of boys, but none that are ready to carry a show (like Les Mis).  I am considering Fiddler, but concerned about a Tevye.   Please know that I don't pre-cast, but I do like to know that I have options.

Thanks for any suggestions!  I value this forum

Mindy Reed

Fairfield High School

Troupe 390

Mindy Reed

French Teacher

World Langauge Departmet Co-Chair

Assistant Director Theatre Arts Program

Room 3308

The information contained in this message or attachments is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by mistransmission. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by person or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and then immediately delete the material from any system and destroy any copies. This email and any response to it may constitute a public record, and therefore may be made available upon request in accordance with Ohio public record law (ORC 149.43).

• 2.  RE: Creating a season over 4 years

Posted 05-15-2018 13:00
    "Legally Blonde" would be a good option, as there are actually a lot of thematic and relevant issues. It could play off with the <g class="gr_ gr_100 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="100" data-gr-id="100">metoo</g> movement really well. Stylistic it is very different than the shows you've already produced for your seniors.

You could also look at "Bring It On."

------------------------------
    Jessica Harms
    Theatre Director
    Acton MA

• 3.  RE: Creating a season over 4 years

Posted 05-15-2018 13:34
    Have you thought about "Thoroughly Modern Millie"? LOTS of female roles, plus a few good meaty ones. Decent number of male roles too.

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 4.  RE: Creating a season over 4 years

Posted 05-15-2018 15:28
    I second the Legally Blonde option. I chose it specifically because I was lighter on male talent this year. You could also look at Little Women or Kiss Me Kate (If you have the males for it).

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Creating a season over 4 years

Posted 05-16-2018 09:41
    I produced "Salem's Daughter" last year.  Female heavy, great roles for females.  Based on Salem Witch Trials but has a really different spin.  It starts with Salem Witch Trial but ends modern day.  I would never have picked this play based on the description but my students wanted me to order it in and I loved it!

Pamela Evitts
    Teacher
    Lamar MO

• 6.  RE: Creating a season over 4 years

Posted 05-16-2018 12:44
    I have a similar challenge of having a bunch of girls that have worked hard and earned a shot at a moment in the musical
    next year and a large group of senior girls. 
    We did Bring it On this year which was awesome. And I narrowed my choices down for the year to 42nd St and Cinderella. The new broadway version of Cinderella has some strong female roles. And 42nd Street has a ton of stuff for the girls to do and a bunch of named roles.

Aileen Zeigler
    Theatre Arts Director
    Omaha NE

• 7.  RE: Creating a season over 4 years

Posted 05-16-2018 15:43
    Have you considered R&H Cinderella? The original has  6 Women/2 Men as principals, 3 featured men and a large singing/dancing ensemble.

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA