Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Show with high physicality, pantomime, movement, or puppetry

Posted 06-17-2019 13:58
    I want to do a show like The Woodsman or Peter and the Starcatcher that rely heavily on an ensemble cast and a lot of physicality, pantomime, movement, or puppetry.  Can anyone think of other plays that use these skills and have large sections with just non-verbal communication?

------------------------------
    Melissa Sparks
    Troupe Director
    Vicksburg MI

• 2.  RE: Show with high physicality, pantomime, movement, or puppetry

Posted 06-17-2019 16:29
    How about The Old Man and the Old Moon by Pig Pen Theatre- there was a vendor sponsored workshop about this at conference last year.  It depends on a troupe approach, lots of physicality and the use of shadow puppetry.  I'm sure others have some great ideas as well.

Cory Wilkerson
    Education Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Palmyra PA

• 3.  RE: Show with high physicality, pantomime, movement, or puppetry

Posted 06-18-2019 08:34
    The Book of Everything is all that! We had puppets for the guppies that lit up so we could darken the stage as Thomas "swam" underwater using the frantic assembly flying technique. It was absolute storytheatre, and so much fun! The show is successful in OAPs. Happy to share more if you'd like.

• 4.  RE: Show with high physicality, pantomime, movement, or puppetry

Posted 06-18-2019 09:12
    We just did a show called whirligig by John Newman. It provided a lot of space for physical work.  We developed a bunch of movement pieces and pantomime. I wanted to do more puppetry with it but opted for more physical work. You can see some pictures of my production if you go to the youth plays site for the show.

Aileen Zeigler
    Theatre Arts Director
    Omaha NE

• 5.  RE: Show with high physicality, pantomime, movement, or puppetry

Posted 06-19-2019 08:46
    Check out Puff or Seven Increasingly Eventful Years at a Particular School of Magic and Magic. Great ensemble piece. Some puppets for the basilisk, dementors and possibly dragons. And also a great story for anyone who has never been meant to save the world.

Joseph Gels
    Theatre Teacher
    Boston Latin School
    Boston MA

• 6.  RE: Show with high physicality, pantomime, movement, or puppetry

Posted 06-19-2019 22:02
    I'm seriously considering Puffs, and I'm not even a Harry Potter fan.  Thank you for the tip!

And thank you, everyone, for the great suggestions!  If anyone has any more, please add. Thanks again!

Melissa Sparks
    Troupe Director
    Vicksburg MI