Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Officer election

Posted 05-29-2017 19:24
    We have a newly minted troupe and are doing our induction on Wednesday during our Drama Awards, “The Rammy’s.” (Yes, I’m a dweeb…our mascot is the Ram). We did a secret ballot election that resulted in a 3 way tie for secretary. I had them vote again and we are down to a tie of two people (split between two and one voted for the third person). I do not want to do another run-off. I would like to break the tie based on the very objective number of points earned so far. Is this okay? My heart is breaking for the kid who will lose, as he is a freshman who has literally been in every activity he could be in this year, no matter how small. The person he is tied with just received larger roles in both plays, but only missed one small performance of a preview of our fall musical at the “Welcome Freshmen” assembly (3 minutes long).

Can I assuage my guilty conscience with this completely objective tiebreaker?

So let the sun come streaming in,
    'Cause you'll reach up and you'll rise again-
    If you only look around,
    You will be found.
    -Benj Pasek and Justin Paul
    “Dear Evan Hansen"

Disario, Jodi
    Drama Teacher and Director
    Willow Glen High School
    jdisario@sjusd.org
    www.msd.school

• 2.  RE: Officer election

Posted 05-30-2017 08:18
    How about co-secretaries? Check with the two students to see if they're okay with it.

------------------------------
    Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 3.  RE: Officer election

Posted 05-30-2017 13:23
    We also just had our officer elections and had two highly qualified candidates for vice president.  I have been a member of a couple of other volunteer organizations which had multiple people in certain offices.  So we will have a Vice President of Communications and Vice President of Programming.  What we will need to do so that we don't force ourselves into always having two VPs is specifying all of the duties that fall under VP and if there are two, it is already designated which duties fall under which one.

For a secretary, it can be a huge job.  Do you have a drama club and a troupe?  Could one of your secretaries be in charge of keeping the minutes while the other is primarily in charge of tracking ITS points?  Find specific duties for each of them.  I think the one group I had been a part of had a Recording Secretary (recording minutes) and Corresponding Secretary (maybe membership, PR, or any other duty that seems to overwhelm another officer).

When you have an enthusiastic freshman ready to get involved, that is energy you don't want to turn away and could be your future president..  Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Melissa Gibson
    Drama teacher
    Oak Harbor High School
    Oak Harbor WA

• 4.  RE: Officer election

Posted 05-30-2017 19:11
      First off all, congratulations on the new troupe! Second, congrats on your students having such confidence in each other. 

A few thoughts...What offices does your troupe have? You may just wish to create a new office. We have a webmaster, social media guru, sunshine person (in charge of birthdays, social events, and sending notes when a troupe member has been absent or ill), historian (in charge of collecting photos after every event for our end of year slideshow)...

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device