Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Auditorium Seat Covers

Posted 01-03-2020 09:34
    Our auditorium seats are covered in rich red fabric and we cannot find the manufacturer. We need to replace a few seats in our auditorium and our maintenance crew and I have searched boxes, old forms, everything... just looking for a name of the company who did this. Do any of you know of companies that cater to this service? We are located in Sandusky, Ohio.

------------------------------
    Shana DeRose-Smith
    Huron OH

• 2.  RE: Auditorium Seat Covers

Posted 01-04-2020 04:33
    I assume you have spoken to your purchasing department. Do any of the seats have a manufacturing mark?

In your area I would call Tiffin Scenic and see if they can help.

• 3.  RE: Auditorium Seat Covers

Posted 01-04-2020 10:17
    Early in my teaching career, the 90's, I taught in a 1,200 seat auditorium and the school district was able to replace and refurbish the seating by having an upholstery contractor make the seat covers and install them in the seating.  Some seating was removed to create handicapped access points and the parts from those chairs were used to replace damaged pieces that could not be repaired.  My role in this work was to take one of the seats apart early in the process, and I found that the units are modular-- the back slides out and the fabric is attached with clips; the seat pan was built with springs and jute webbing and the sewn seat cover again installed with clips around a frame-- both of those pieces were held in place with a single screw at the back of the seat and the bottom of the back.  I think it is relatively straight forward work for an experienced upholstery house.  I have never found a seating manufacturer who took on such projects.  The decision to refurbish the seating was largely driven by a desire on behalf of the school district to maintain the historic nature of the school.  if you decide to try to reupholster the chairs, I would just make sure to go through your district so they can meet the appropriate regulations for your state and county.

More recently, about 10 years ago, in my current school-- we had the seating replaced and in that circumstance we used a company called Irwin Seating.  It was pretty straightforward and cost an average of $175 a chair including installation, engineered drawings, etc   

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 4.  RE: Auditorium Seat Covers

Posted 01-04-2020 10:13
    If you have access to the draws for the theater they will have seat details that give that information. If not try Irwin Seating Company. They are one of the largest theater seat manufacturers.

Christine Causer
    Teacher/Production Manager
    BURLINGTON NJ