Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Musical (Boys High School)

Posted 10-23-2019 22:04
    I've looked around in previous threads but have some pretty specific parameters for a musical recommendation.  All boys school - we can come up with a few girls.  "Fairly manageable" score - we want our band to be able to provide the music.  Not Godspell, Charlie Brown, or Seusical (don't even know if these fit the bill for simple music and mostly boys).  Someone suggested "Tommy", but I don't know anything about it and can't find any discussion about it on the board here.  Thanks, if you can make a suggestion!

------------------------------
    Kevin Manley
    Drama Teacher
    San Diego CA

• 2.  RE: Musical (Boys High School)

Posted 10-24-2019 06:30
    One year when I had a bunch of talented and enthusiastic boys, we did Damn Yankees. I don't remember our music director being concerned about the score. If you have a few ladies (especially a Lola), you should be good.
    Teresa​

Teresa De Zarn
    Troupe Director
    Cincinnati OH

• 3.  RE: Musical (Boys High School)

Posted 10-24-2019 09:04
    1776, Newsies, West Side Story, Guys & Dolls. I'll keep thinking.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher, Thespian Society/Drama Club sponsor
    Winfield City Schools
    Winfield, AL

• 4.  RE: Musical (Boys High School)

Posted 10-24-2019 09:28
    I worked on a production of "Little Shop" at an all-boys high school.  They actually only imported their Audrey and had boys play Chiffon, Crystal, and Ronette in drag.  I was actually a bit concerned about how this would go down at a Jesuit high school, but the boys were phenomenal and their classmates were so supportive, plus they looked great in eveningwear :) They used recorded music, but I think there are a number of arrangements for the score. I was not directing myself and only peripherally involved, so I can't offer much more, but I do know the guys loved the show and had a blast performing it. 

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 5.  RE: Musical (Boys High School)

Posted 10-24-2019 12:35
    I second the motion for 1776.  One year we happened to have, weirdly enough, two dozen or so boys who all could (and, more importantly, would) sing and dance, so my co-director and I said, "If we ever wanted to do that show, this would be the year."  Our kids loved it, and we even added an in-school performance that most of our U.S. history classes attended, so it was good educational outreach.  The costumes and wigs were a bit pricey, but we played the show thrust syle with minimal scenery - mostly just tables and chairs which were borrowed from a colonial-style furniture store in exchange for a program ad - so the budget balanced out better than it has for most of our musicals.  I love the show anyway, so it was great to be able to stage it.  If you do it, the published reading edition includes an interesting essay by book writer Peter Stone, explaining what in the show is absolutely factual, what is educated historical conjecture, and what is purely invented; we provided that reference to our history teachers so they could do talk-backs with their students after seeing the show.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 6.  RE: Musical (Boys High School)

Posted 10-24-2019 16:19
    Greetings! Several years ago I had a large group of men and did "Treasure Island" through MTI. There are only two women in the production and the students had a blast being pirates!

Michelle Giles
    Carbondale PA

• 7.  RE: Musical (Boys High School)

Posted 10-25-2019 00:36
    Thanks everybody!  I am excited to look into some of these suggestions. 

Kevin Manley

MathDept

St. Augustine High School

(619) 282-2184 x 5568

kmanley@sahs.org

• 8.  RE: Musical (Boys High School)

Posted 10-25-2019 01:48
    I am shocked that no one has said Newsies yet...so here I am saying Newsies.  I think there are only 2 maybe 3 female characters.  

Julie Ingram
    Norris Middle School - Room 40
    8th Grade Language Arts & Theatre Teacher
    ASB Advisor

Parents - please sign-up for classroom notices at classdojo.com
    - also available as a free app on your mobile device! :)

Virus-free. www.avast.com

• 9.  RE: Musical (Boys High School)

Posted 10-25-2019 08:03
    Look at Damn Yankees.

Jeremy Riggs