Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  New teacher--$10,000 budget--What to do

Posted 10-25-2021 08:37
    Hi, I am a new teacher at a large middle school in a large city, though I have relatively few students in my classes. 

I was given a budget from the school of $10,000 and was looking for advice on how to spend it. 
    My classroom is windowless, fluorescent-lit, weird. There is an auditorium, but I am not allowed to use it every day for class. Then, I was imagining to make the classroom a kind of "studio" space. 

I was thinking of investing in some nice lighting, stackable chairs, entrance/exit partitions, and rehearsal blocks. Any recs on where to buy these?

Anything else you all would recommend? Or just in general, how should I spend this money, I likely will not get as big a budget next year, since they are investing in starting the program now.

------------------------------
    Molly McLean

• 2.  RE: New teacher--$10,000 budget--What to do

Posted 10-25-2021 15:30
    Wow, I am so jealous!  I think rehearsal blocks are a good idea, but I would maybe look into if your local high school has a shop class that could build them for you--you'll still have to pay for them, but probably a lot less.  Lighting might be good, but unless you're going to be using your room for performances, not sure if it makes sense, because unless they're stand alone plug ins, you're going to need a board, and that will eat up most of your money.   And unless you have a grid or light trees, they won't be much use anyway.   I wouldn't spend your budget on chairs--your school should provide those.  What are your plans for the program?  Is it just a class, or are there going to be shows?  How many students do you hope to service?  I would invest in basic costumes, props, makeup, etc, that you can use for multiple shows or class assignments.  Simple furniture--hit up thrift stores etc.  You want to have the basics for what you're going to teach or present so that you're not spending money on those things.  If you're planning on building sets, basic shop equipment, lumber, paint.  You also may want to check with your administration as to their expectations of the program.  Knowing what they expect may help you decide.

Marie Miguel
    Chespeake, VA

• 3.  RE: New teacher--$10,000 budget--What to do

Posted 10-26-2021 07:52
    I would recommend simple lighting and a basic sound board with a few handheld cordless microphones and some wireless ones with headset/lavalier options.  You don't have to spend a ton of money, but if you have basic sound equipment and a couple follow spots, it will go a long way toward working in almost any space.  

I agree that you could partner with the local high school program if you have one.  When we started our program, we needed flats so we could build our sets and we partnered with the local high school tech class.  We bought the supplies and the students built them in their classrooms as a final grade.  Worked well for both schools.  Now we have 10 beautiful flats we use over and over.

Best of luck...and I too am jealous.

Amy MacCord
    Westwood Middle School
    ELA department chair
    8th grade Reading and Language Arts
    8th grade Cambridge ELA
    Theater 6th-8th
    http://mrsmaccord.weebly.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this email and attached document(s) may contain confidential information that is intended only for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby advised that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance upon the information is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete it from your system.