Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Comedy of Errors

Posted 05-10-2017 22:13
    I have decided to put up A Comedy of Errors next year. I am concerned however about the handling of Dromio’s “spherical like a globe” description of the maid Luce. How do I cast that role (Luce) without being hurtful to the actress? I could cast a guy and dress him up as an unattractive woman, but that doesn’t really solve the body shaming aspect of the speech. Should I cut that part out? Give students an opportunity to opt out? When I directed it at the College level, I explained the role and the speech to everyone prior to the audition and then asked a specific question about comfort on the audition sheet. However, with high school students, I am feeling a greater need for sensitivity. What do you think?

Ron G.

• 2.  RE: Comedy of Errors

Posted 05-11-2017 07:30
    I had similar concerns when I did "Dreamgirls" and later "Hairspray".  The characters of Effie and Tracy, respectively, are written to be big girls.  We had moments in auditions and rehearsals where body-shaming was an issue.  Throughout the process, however, the actors playing those roles took ownership of their work and their own physical make-up.  In both cases, their talent, commitment, and self-confidence inspired others, the "haters" backed down, and both shows were successful.

Try this:
    Since the maid Luce is supposed to be a cartoon-like figure, use costuming and make-up to exaggerate those features.  Put the actor (I recommend keeping it a female), in such a large, outrageous fat-suit and over-done make up (blacked-out teeth, moles, unibrow, etc.) so that she is such a cartoon that it won't matter.  If you wind up using a girl who is naturally heavy, so be it.  Emphasize that we're not laughing at her, we're laughing at Luce.  The extra make-up and costuming will allow her to play up the absurdity of the character.  By owning the character in this way, a big girl may gain a positive experience because she is choosing to put herself out there to entertain an audience.

Sadly, some kids are always going to try to humiliate, bully and shame.  But we can take the bully's power from him/her - and humor is often the most effective means of doing so. We cannot let haters hinder the emotional and artistic growth of our students.  While you are wise to try and anticipate and plan for such conflicts, sometimes we must confront such issues in order to provide "teachable moments" for our students.  You may find a big girl who is willing, even eager, to put her physical characteristics to use and both entertain and inspire everyone else in the process.

------------------------------
    Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Tunnel Hill, GA

• 3.  RE: Comedy of Errors

Posted 05-11-2017 08:01
    Does Luce need to appear? I never had her onstage when I directed Comedy.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 4.  RE: Comedy of Errors

Posted 05-11-2017 08:05
     I'm doing the show right now - it has been a total non issue with my company. Everyone has accepted the line as coming from a character who lacks manners and decorum - exactly the same as the body shamers of today's world.  We've had similar discussions when a character in a play has a racist, sexist, misogynist, etc. line. 

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

• 5.  RE: Comedy of Errors

Posted 05-11-2017 08:45
    I directed this play last year.   Luce is only ever spoken of, with the exception of ten or so lines that she spoken from behind the door.  I had another actor (I think the one playing Arianna) do those lines from within.  

While I think is may be funny to have an actor play the role, especially if she is in some ridiculous makeup, it is not necessary.  Seeing Dromio relive and explain the grotesqueness of Luce can be much funnier, I think, because it can be much more exaggerated than the character could ever be.

Jeremy Riggs
    Director of Theatre
    Blue Valley North
    bvntheatre.org

• 6.  RE: Comedy of Errors

Posted 05-11-2017 08:36
    When I directed the show, I cast the actress for personality, not body type.  I put her in a bum roll and an Elizabethan dress, which helped her fit the description.

Ruthie Tutterow
    Director of Fine and Performing Arts
    Greensboro Day School
    Greensboro NC

• 7.  RE: Comedy of Errors

Posted 05-11-2017 09:30
    When I directed we had Luce in a full body fat suit. The girl playing her was tiny. We had fun with hair and make-up for her too. It was hilarious. We didn't have any issues at any point.

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 8.  RE: Comedy of Errors

Posted 05-11-2017 10:50
    As was mentioned before, I wonder if she even has to appear at all.

Anyway, I was in a recent production of CoE as an adult, not with teenagers. Our production did have Luce/Nell on stage, and the actress did not at all fit the description Dromio gives for her, but it was not an issue. As for the body shaming issue, we played it off as if Dromio was really attracted to Luce instead of repulsed by her. During the scene in which Dromio describes her to Antipholus, he did it with a sense of wonder and appreciation. It was fun, and worked well.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 9.  RE: Comedy of Errors

Posted 05-11-2017 12:54
    I padded her to be huge - literally spherical, and we put her in very ugly make-up. Going to the extreme worked for us and she was hilarious (in a very small bit).
    Best wishes!

Rob Duval
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    'Iolani School
    Kaneohe HI