Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Sound effects lesson plan

Posted 03-13-2018 08:51

I am looking to assign students sounds effects to create from common household items. I cannot find my lesson from a few years ago, but I do remember that students had a lot of fun. I have too big a class to create sound stations in my classroom, but would consider doing so, if I could find common items and not need to buy items. Any ideas?

Amy Sando,
    Douglas High School Drama
    782-5136

"You've got to paint the picture and then walk into it. And if you ever find you can't paint the picture, just don't walk."

• 2.  RE: Sound effects lesson plan

Posted 03-14-2018 08:45
    There are some great videos about Foley art online. I showed those and then had the students use a silenced clip from a cartoon to create sound effects for. They had to do the research to discover what items could be used to create what sounds. Your right, it was amazingly fun.

------------------------------
    Sheryl Davis
    Secondary Language Arts/Drama Director
    Sanford NC

• 3.  RE: Sound effects lesson plan

Posted 03-14-2018 08:48
    ​Good morning,

Check out this link below.

Sound Effects Activity | Activities / Projects | For Teachers
    Schoolvideonews remove preview
    Sound Effects Activity | Activities / Projects | For Teachers
    School Video News is the TV/Video production eMagazine for teachers and administrators. Articles and videos on all aspects of TV/Video production in the K-12 environment. Featuring school profiles, Videography, audio, lighting, set design, curriculum development and much more.
    View this on Schoolvideonews >

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 4.  RE: Sound effects lesson plan

Posted 03-15-2018 10:07
    Hi,
    Since we are talking about foley work, I found this book in London (well Google found it).
    Published in 1936 (reprint in 1945), The book details how sound effects were done for radio broadcast.
    Some very interesting solutions.

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN

• 5.  RE: Sound effects lesson plan

Posted 03-17-2018 08:45
    Super cool. I love creating my own sound effects. The kids love the opportunity too. My son is in an upcoming production of titanic and the sound designer created the iceberg collision from scratch. 8 layers of sound. It is haunting.

---------------------------------
    Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School
    ---------------------------------