Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Horror Play

Posted 10-25-2017 09:25
    Hello everyone, 

Looking for script ideas for next Fall that are truly bone-chilling and build suspense.  We have already done NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD and NEVERMORE (Edgar Allan Poe trapped in his own stories).  Any suggestions of plays for high school performers that really got your audience on the edge of their seats?  I want the audience to be scared but also have a fun time. 

Thank you!!

------------------------------
    James McCulloch
    Drama Director of Mariner Drama
    Marine City, Michigan
    jmcculloch@ecsd.us

• 2.  RE: Horror Play

Posted 10-25-2017 10:34
    Have you read "The Uninvited"? I cannot remember the playwright, but I was in it about 5 years ago. It's a suspense (not so much horror, but you can play off of the suspense of the audience.) It's a 10 person cast, if I recall correctly.

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 3.  RE: Horror Play

Posted 10-25-2017 14:38
    I'm a sucker for Doug Wright's Unwrap Your Candy. It's a series of one-act plays (10 men, 6 women maximum), some of which have managed to stick with me despite the fact that I read the script over a decade ago. "Wildwood Park" is a one-act that works like gangbusters, and I always wish that I'd see it more in competition. It's by the author of Quills though (another arguable horror play), so some of the one-acts (specifically "Baby Talk") are on the risque side.

There's always staples like Deathtrap and The Woman in Black, but those have such small casts . . . And classics like Dracula and Frankenstein and Rebecca and The Birds (which has a wonderful stage adaptation by Conor McPherson) continue to be reinvented ad nauseam, sometimes with stellar results. There's Deborah Pryor's The Love Talker, another small cast one-act -- but definitely a strange and unsettling one. You could always go really classic with Titus Andronicus or Jacobean revenge tragedies like 'Tis Pity She's a Whore, The Revenger's Tragedy, or The Duchess of Malfi.

It's hard because so many horror (or "horror") plays are written for adults: Tracy Letts' Bug, Martin McDonagh's The Pillowman, Conor McPherson's The Weir, Jack Thorne's stunning adaptation of Let the Right One In for the National Theatre of Scotland . . . It's a difficult genre for theatre in general, but especially difficult for teenagers to break into.

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 4.  RE: Horror Play

Posted 10-25-2017 17:23
    Both Dracula by William McNulty (Playscripts) and Jack the Ripper: Monster of Whitechapel by Joe Dickinson (I think) from Sam French had a great response from my audiences.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Horror Play

Posted 10-27-2017 15:06
    The Innocents

Jared Wright
    Thomaston GA