Open Forum

View Only

Children's Theatre Scripts

• 1.  Children's Theatre Scripts

Posted 05-24-2017 11:49
    I'm looking do so a Children's Theatre show with my Theatre 3 & 4 class next year where we can bus in students from the local elementary schools to see the performances. I'm looking for something (preferably) not musical, simple set and female heavy (I'm only going to have 4 boys in my 3/4 class next year). Cast of no more than 18. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 2.  RE: Children's Theatre Scripts

Posted 05-24-2017 13:53
    We did Charlotte's Web (the one-act version from Joseph Robinette.  It worked very well with both genders.  I had females play traditionally male roles and it was fine.  I also had a female play Wilbur.  The young audiences loved it!

Elisabeth Campbell
    Teacher
    Pitman NJ

• 3.  RE: Children's Theatre Scripts

Posted 05-25-2017 07:36
    Ohhhh, that was one of my favorite movies as a kid! We just had a local community theatre do that show, so it might be a little too soon, but I will definitely put it on my list.

Thank you!!!

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 4.  RE: Children's Theatre Scripts

Posted 05-25-2017 09:16

If you wanted a musical I would recommend looking at beat by beat press.  Terrific company and geared for elementary school.  We did We Are Monsters and had a blast this year.  Our elementary audiences raved!  We also did Wild Pecos Bill (small cast) with lively over the top characters.  If you haven't done much theatre for young audiences,  keep it under an hour, keep it bright, big and clear and have fun!

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled!

​​​​​

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org

• 5.  RE: Children's Theatre Scripts

Posted 05-25-2017 09:42
    Hi Heather,
    We "tour" our Theatre 1 class to our elementary schools every term to perform a children's play that serves as a culminating summative assessment for the student work in class.  We have a limited budget so we often use royalty-free scripts that are available from what are probably really old publications. I use plays from two books edited by Sylvia Kamerman. Often the class will do rewrites to perk up a script a bit.  Playscripts and Bakers Plays have many terrific scripts available for royalties. I've used a Bakers collection called "Princess Plays" several times for large groups.  A fun Eldridge script is "Wild Pecos Bill"- written for almost all male cats but way more fun with mostly females.  We've also taken folktales and done our own adaptations, "Story Theatre"-style.  Good luck and have fun!
    Rick Osann
    Bonny Eagle HS, Standish, ME

The information transmitted herein is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and any attachments from any computer.

MSAD #6 - Bonny Eagle Schools
    Buxton - Hollis - Limington - Standish - Frye Island, Maine
    Helping all students to reach their full potential

• 6.  RE: Children's Theatre Scripts

Posted 05-25-2017 09:52
    Wiley and the Hairy Man can be cast with anybody, and it is a great show. 

• 7.  RE: Children's Theatre Scripts

Posted 05-25-2017 10:55
    I did RAMONA QUIMBY this year. Cast and elementary students' audiences loved it.

Gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    Gai@gaijones.com
    Www.gaijones.com

• 8.  RE: Children's Theatre Scripts

Posted 05-26-2017 07:01
    Beatrice the Butterfly
    even has a message about being different and accepted.

Tammy Smith
    Virginia Beach VA

• 9.  RE: Children's Theatre Scripts

Posted 05-26-2017 07:21
    Tammy, do you know who publishes it? I'd love to read it!

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 10.  RE: Children's Theatre Scripts

Posted 05-26-2017 11:27
    I'm in a middle school and we did an outreach for the first time this spring. We adapted "They Day the Crayons Quit" and toured it to our elementary schools and they loved. I got permission from the publisher to adapt it for no fees. We also worked on reading skills, and had four separate groups we could send to classrooms to read to the kids.

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 11.  RE: Children's Theatre Scripts

Posted 05-26-2017 11:33
    I was going to suggest a truncated version of A Midsummer Night's Dream. Kids love the fantasy elements. But it takes six men. You can change Flute to a woman, but you lose all the humor of a guy being forced to play a girl. If you have girls willing to play guys, you might get away with Oberon and Theseus as pants roles. 

I saw a girl play the wall as if she was on a fashion runway. Historically funny. On little bit that stole the show. Another girl played Moonshine as an overworked soccer mom.

The possibilities are endless.

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA