Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Projecting Sets/Effects

Posted 05-16-2017 16:45
    Does anyone use projectors for set projection or special effects during shows?  I am interested in beginning this for of technology, but I have very little knowledge in this area.  What brands are good?  How many lumens should I be looking at?  Are there challenges I should be aware of when I am looking into these?  
    I understand there are short throw and ultra short throw, how far in feet would this be to project?
    Thank you.

------------------------------
    Ryan Landmann
    Palm Desert CA

• 2.  RE: Projecting Sets/Effects

Posted 05-17-2017 07:07
    OK, so I have played around a lot with projections at a school/camp and a little professional level and I find it can be frustrating, rewarding and complicated all at the same time. There are so many factors. Equipment: So really I would say in basic terms, obviously the more lumens the better your image will be from distances and the more likely it will cut through your stage lighting. You definetly want one that can cover your entire stage though so that you have options of where your image is without moving it. I would say the closer you can be and still get the full image will allow you to play with steep angles and project behind the actors. Lighting: so you have to factor in each time you use it what type of lighting is being used on stage. Lighting can wash out your image pretty fast, and you don't want to throw lighting onto the surface you are projecting. Location of projector: Sometimes at school or camp level, projecting from the front is all you can do and you just have to live with the idea that the image will be on the performers. I have tried projecting from angles off to the side and it helped, but the space I was in it still hit the performers at certain points. I love using this technology, and next year am starting to teach a high school theater tech class all about technology use in performance and its impacts. Qlab is also a great program to manipulate song, image/video and lighting now too. You can blend projectors together in it as well.

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI

• 3.  RE: Projecting Sets/Effects

Posted 05-17-2017 12:23
    We just used rear projections for Legally Blonde and they worked very well. Some of the keys we needed to be aware of, and I assume you will too, were: having enough distance behind the projector(s) for the throw as well as for the actors to pass behind, the quality of the screens (vinal), the luminus of the projectors --- we used 5K and it was fine, and setting up the projection slides in Q-lab (although you can get by with PowerPoint if you're student projectionist is careful when changing slides). We were also able to save $2k a week by borrowing from the Distict Office. If you don't have a District Office, I suggest checking with sister/brother schools and local theaters. We also brought in someone specifically for this and it was worth the money. You may also want to tap into one of the local colleges or community colleges theater departmetns for support.
    If you were talking front projection, first look at where you plan to mount the projector, if it's not already mounted in your space. If it's a permanent projector you have limited choices; if you are going to mount, watch your angles (for distortions) and distance. Again, local colleges may be a great resource for someone looking to build credits.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Joe D'Aquino
    Newport Harbor High School