Open Forum

View Only

Prop pistol

• 1.  Prop pistol

Posted 01-17-2019 07:41
    Hi,  We're in rehearsals for Curtains and I'm looking into the prop pistols we'll be needing.  I'm hoping to get some information about them and their use in theatre before bringing up the subject with our admin.  
    I anticipate a knee jerk reaction of "no" but hope to present some images and/or testimony about other schools who have used them without incident. Any input on this subject?
    Linda Urban
    Music Teacher
    Whittier Technical High School
    115 Amesbury Line Rd
    Haverhill MA 01830
    978-373-4101 *297

Please visit us at https://whittiertech.org

• 2.  RE: Prop pistol

Posted 01-17-2019 12:19
    We used a prop pistol a few years ago. I ran it by the principal and also showed it to the school resource officer since it was realistic looking (and because I wanted to paint over the bright orange at the end of the barrel) to make certain he was fine with it as well. I made it very clear to the cast and crew that only the actor using it and the stage manager could touch it, and I locked it up in my office after every rehearsal.

------------------------------
    Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 3.  RE: Prop pistol

Posted 01-17-2019 12:26
    We purchased ours from a specialty props weapons store can't remember the name off the top of my head...  In our Play Bill  we put a note that a replica prop pistol was being used in the show and then quoted the manufacturers exact wording on how they render it incapable of firing any ammunition of any kind.  

We did have an incident with a prop pistol a few years ago.  It was a cheap silver toy gun with an orange safety cap that we used in classes.  A kiddo put it in his pocket and took a pic at an angle that made it look real (I'd a never believed it if I hadn't seen it because this thing was cheesy!) and put it out on Snapchat.  He received consequences and now we warn anyone who may have contact with prop weapons that they are not allowed to photograph for any reason.  Just a heads up!

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 4.  RE: Prop pistol

Posted 01-17-2019 14:27
    I'm not familiar with the show, but I would think that a plastic toy pistol would work in most cases if you paint it adequately. I just did an online search, and there are lots of them out there. You're not making a movie, and the audience will be a distance away from the gun. Besides, most of it will be inside the actor's hand anyway if it's in use.

As far as Ken's comment above, I totally agree. When I was the prop master for a theater company some years ago, I set up a protocol for all weapons regardless of whether they were practical or not (we used a fair amount of blank-firing guns as well as real swords, knives, and other stuff). They were locked up during the day. Just before it was needed, an ASM would fetch it and hand it directly to the actor. Right after it was used, it went back to the ASM, who locked it away again. It wasn't paranoia or an overwrought sense of safety: it was just a way to let people (cast and crew) know that these were specialty props and needed to be handled differently.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 5.  RE: Prop pistol

Posted 01-17-2019 14:36

We have used them in the past on several shows. Well ahead of time we also included administration on the decision. We also posted a notice in the program, and in our student information packets to parents. In our case they were unloaded each night and locked away. Only the actor, stage manager, and 2 staff members have access to it. We also do a safety presentation with the entire company before rehearsing with it. The actors involved in the scenes it will be used have a special first rehearsal as well. We make it clear that, although they are not real weapons, they shoot live loads, which can still cause severe injury of not used correctly.

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 6.  RE: Prop pistol

Posted 01-18-2019 07:32
    We did Rehearsal for Murder (FANTASTIC fun if you've never looked at it!) a few years ago, and used a cap gun, we also used one in Guys and Dolls.  I let admin know, shot it off on a Saturday when the building was empty, save for basketball practice (and let the coach know before we did it), and also worked our plans out with the school resource officer.  The SRO requested that we keep the gun locked up, since it looked real enough--which we already had plans to do.  When we got closer to the show, we also had the actor shoot it off, with the cast present--again, late in the evening's rehearsal, when there were not many people in the building, and we notified the people who were in the building.  I honestly do not remember if we put a note in the program, but if we were to do a show again that involved a gun that we shoot off, I would definitely include a program note, and maybe even have the kids mention it in the pre-show announcements.  Hope this helps!

Kristen Hoch
    Thunderhawk Theater Director
    Lakota East High School
    Liberty Twp, OH
    Kristen.hoch@lakotaonline.com

• 7.  RE: Prop pistol

Posted 01-18-2019 09:36
    We did Curtains about 5 years ago and did use Western style toy prop pistols without incident. We even kept the bright orange caps on the top ends and given the specific style of the show this did not distract at all. We kept the prop pistols in my office in a secure box and only got them out for rehearsal and production. As we do with all props, we were also careful to assure our administration that only student props persons and the actors using the props would  handle them.  We used a timed rim shot from percussion for the sound of firing.

Absolutely loved doing this show. So funny and so much fun for everyone.

Jill

Jill Campbell
    Gifted Support/Learning Enrichment ARTsmART
    State High Thespian Troupe 5029
    State College Area High School
    State College, PA 16801
    jkc11@scasd.org
    (814) 231-4114

• 8.  RE: Prop pistol

Posted 01-18-2019 12:09

We did a production of Night of the Living Dead this year  (which required a shotgun killing people on stage). I notified the admin that the next week we would be bringing a prop gun that is either fake or has been disabled and can not fire on campus. The agreement was that only the actor who used it was allowed to touch it and it would be locked up at all times when not in rehearsals or performances. The principal asked that we notify the parents of the students who would be using the gun and get permission for their minor to use the firearm. 

For the sound effect, I used a starter pistol offstage and got a great reaction from the audience. 

Jose Ortiz
    Salinas CA

• 9.  RE: Prop pistol

Posted 01-19-2019 17:28
    To assuage your admin, have a prop weapons safety policy and rules in place before bringing any prop weapons on campus.  Here's an excerpt from my Safety Manual book that you are welcome to use as is or adapt as needed… (if your school theatre doesn't have theatre technicians on staff, substitute the words drama teacher, or other staff member in charge)…

Prop Weapons

School policy prohibits the carrying, possession or use of a firearm – or anything that looks like a firearm - on school premises, which includes, but is not limited to, guns, knives and swords.  Prop weapons are permitted in the theatre for the purposes of use during rehearsals and production only.  Prop weapons are not toys, therefore the following procedures must be followed:

The theatre Technician must be informed prior to the event if the event includes the use of any prop weapons.

If you will be bringing a prop weapon to the theatre for the use in your event, the theatre Technician or other district employee must meet you at your car and accompany you to the theatre.  (This is so that you are not put in the place of being mistakenly accused of having a weapon on campus, between your car door and the theatre door.)

Prop weapons shall only be available when required for a rehearsal or performance. Only the performer who is using the prop weapon, the Props Master, assigned Weapons Handler, event manager, or theatre Technician shall handle any prop weapons.  If your character does not use the prop weapon, do not touch it.

All prop weapons shall be treated as real weapons; handle prop guns as if loaded, and handle prop knives and swords as if they are sharp.  All prop weapons shall be secured in a locked room or cabinet when not in use. 

The school shall be held harmless from injury or death resulting from the use of prop weapons.

Beth Rand, EBMS
    Educational Lighting Designer
    School Theatre Operations Coach

www.PRESETT.org
    - LIGHTING INSTITUTE FOR THEATRE TEACHERS - ONLINE MINI COURSES (ask for complimentary syllabus)
    - HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE OPERATIONS ONLINE COURSE FOR TEACHERS (ask for complimentary syllabus)
    - HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE OPERATIONS BOOKS and COMPLIMENTARY ARTICLE DOWNLOADS
    - THE ECLECTECH SHOPPE

beth@PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

• 10.  RE: Prop pistol

Posted 01-21-2019 10:15
    I have borrowed starter pistols from the track team in the past. They must be treated with caution because they do emit a residue when fired like the true prop pistols do.   They do have the red end as is required by law.  We also notify our Security Department of their use on stage.

Valerie Scott
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Perimeter School
    Johns Creek, Ga

• 11.  RE: Prop pistol

Posted 01-21-2019 13:18
    Thing to consider when planning to use any type of realistic looking weapon on stage:

1. Inform your administration and show them pictures of the items.  Get written authorization to have these things on campus.
    2. Once you have written authorization to have the weapons (props) on campus, inform your on-campus security department and your local police and your local sheriff's departments.
    3. Establish a protocol for storage of the props.  They need to be in a locked cabinet except when they are being used for rehearsal and shows.
    4. No one should be allowed to touch or hold the weapons (props) until they have been trained.  This must be a zero-tolerance policy with serious consequences.  Even the smallest amount of horse-play can result in serious injuries or even death.
    5. Pistols that fire blanks MUST have an occluded barrel that will not pass any gas or projectiles.  Blanks can kill people (very high pressure gas can puncture skin and bone), even the smallest amount of expelled wadding can seriously damage eyes or blind someone.  Absolutely NO real guns shall be used.
    6. Weapons (props) must be supervised 100% of the time (not 99%, or less).  Get extra help if need be - we all know how easy it is to get distracted when on stage.
    7. Obtain written authorization from the parents of the students that will be permitted to handle the weapons (props).  Might also be a good idea to get written understanding from the parents of the other cast and crew members so they understand and agree to the safety protocols, rules, and consequences for rule violations.
    8. Scenes involving firearm type weapons (props) shall require that all personnel that will be handling the weapons (props) attend a firearms safety class.
    9. Scenes with weapons (props) should be rehearsed on a closed set (no non-essential personnel) until the performers are completely at ease with the handling of the weapons (props).  Introduce the scene rehearsals with the weapons (props) to the rest of the cast and crew after you have explained all of the safety protocols, rules, and consequences for rule violations.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems