Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Language in Of Mice and Men

Posted 12-01-2016 13:33

I am producing Of Mice and Men and need some guidance on how others have approached the "N" word on stage.  I presented the situation to my administrators and they are not comfortable with us using the word in performance.  How have those of you who have directed this text ( and/or any other with such language) navigated this situation?

I have communicated my desire to stay true to Steinbeck and accurately represent the time and culture of this piece.  I also know that I live in a community that may not tolerate it well.  Given that, and my desire to have a healthy and trusting relationship with my administrators, I will most certainly respect their perspective.

At this time, we are planning on having a clear disclaimer on all publicity, a pre-show introduction indicating the sensitive nature of the piece, educational content in the program, and a post-show talk back.  We know there will be members of the audience upset if we remove the language - just as we'll have members angry if we use it.

I would love to hear your thoughts...

------------------------------
    Kristina Cummins
    Olympia WA

• 2.  RE: Language in Of Mice and Men

Posted 12-01-2016 15:28

It could be argued that a "community that may not tolerate it well" is the community that needs to deal with it the most. I live in one of those; we did "To Kill a Mockingbird," dialogue unchanged, and it went off without a hitch and with no negative feedback from the audience.

I'm sure you know, and your administration needs to understand, that you can make no script changes without approval from the rights-holder. The race issue is not as front-and-center in Steinbeck as it is in Mockingbird, but still, they have the right to deny those changes if they think the language is necessary to the play.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: Language in Of Mice and Men

Posted 12-02-2016 07:38

I would say it speaks to the time period and to each character.  The owner uses it and it is slang and hurtful. When Candy uses it I don't believe it has malice behind it.  It was simply the term of that time period.  I believe it is very important in development of character and how the men, and Curly's wife, were treated with no more respect than Candy's dog.

Charity Moon Henry
    Lavonia GA

• 4.  RE: Language in Of Mice and Men

Posted 12-02-2016 08:52

I wholeheartedly agree with those who posted before me. Cutting the word completely changes the characterizations and the tone needed for the tension of the scenes. It's also historically relevant. 

In addition to all of your disclaimers, I would insert a "Director's Note" into the program, explaining all of the things we've talked about. Make sure your actors have these discussions with their families before they see the show. Make sure the KIDS understand why the word needs to remain though it's so reprehensible now.

I wanted to teach "Ragtime" in my Intro to Theatre class last year, and decided against it for this very reason. I thought about cutting the numerous uses of the word, but there was no way to get Coalhouse angry enough to make his transition without it. And, as I had an administrator who wouldn't let me show "Nunsense" because she was sure tap-dancing nuns would offend our community, I was pretty sure I wouldn't be supported on this one.

Jodi Disario
    Director of Drama
    Willow Glen High School
    San Jose CA

• 5.  RE: Language in Of Mice and Men

Posted 12-02-2016 09:03

When we read Fences by August Wilson, we change the N word to "fella". This works for that particular scenario.

Performance is different, as you don't want to take the audience out of the moment, and you don't want the performers to experience a lack of authenticity. Therefore, see what compromise you can find. Does "negro" work? I won't go through a list here, but there are a lot of lesser offensive (arguably) epithets that get the racist theme across.

Something to think about...

Dave