Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The Frogs

Posted 03-22-2017 15:13
    Has any one done a performance of The Frogs (not a modernization)?  I'm interested in doing a classical piece with students and looking for a good option for 25-40 7th-12th graders.  I'd love some insight.  

------------------------------
    Aileen Zeigler
    Theatre Arts Director
    Omaha NE

• 2.  RE: The Frogs

Posted 03-23-2017 09:51
    I think The Frogs is difficult to perform due to the "duel" at the end between Euripides and Aeschylus. I'd recommend The Birds. I think it's more relevant to modern society. I know you don't want an adaptation but Don Zolidis' version is great. If you want an original translation I like the Focus Classical Library's translation by Jeffrey Henderson.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: The Frogs

Posted 03-23-2017 14:32
    I do "The Frogs" every year with my beginning students as part of an intro to Greek theater. However, I cut large chunks out so that what is left is more manageable for the students.
    I agree that the ending battle of wits is VERY long. If you would like to do a full length version, and you are up for the challenge, you could probably download the script (public domain=no royalties) and make your own adaptation, cutting the battle and other sections like the Frog Song down to a more manageable size. 
    I know that Grand Canyon University staged a fabulous version several years ago with set pieces in the swimming pool! They have always been very helpful when I had production questions. If you wanted to contact them, you could start with their director Claude Pensis.  You can probably go online and find pictures of their production, as they have posted photographs of most of their shows. Start with gcu.edu and go from there!
    Blessings, 

Sheri Templeton
    Valley Christian High School
    Chandler, AZ

• 4.  RE: The Frogs

Posted 03-23-2017 14:42
    Grand Canyon University did the Stephen Sondheim musical version. I saw a revival of it with Nathan Lane at Lincoln Center a few years ago. It's nice but not the best Sondheim.
    This string has got me to thinking about my next season. It's my last year teaching (maybe) and I'm planning a big Fall musical and I want to do a Greek or Shakespeare in the Spring. The idea of taking the public domain text and using it in class to create a class-devised work sound intriguing. Anyone have suggestions on how to go about this?

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 5.  RE: The Frogs

Posted 03-23-2017 15:59

Yeah, the Sondheim version is a somewhat modernized adaptation as well. It uses Shaw and Shakespeare in the end instead of Euripides and Aeschylus... (unfortunately, for the modern student, it begins to suffer from the same problem because the kids will say "who is Shaw?")

I have a lot of issues with the Frogs, actually. As a play, it's a mess. It certainly has funny moments, but the end is dull as dishwater and the frogs themselves are totally ancillary to the plot and don't do anything. You can torture a thematic resonance with them, I guess, but it's a far cry from the Birds where the actual birds fit nicely into the story Aristophanes is trying to tell. In my opinion, the Birds is the far superior play from a theatrical standpoint.

The central idea, Dionysus pretending to be Hercules and then going into the underworld to rescue the greatest playwright of all time to save modern culture, is genius.

In my mind, Sondheim and Nathan Lane were too beholden to the original. (Gee, Don, how many great masters of theatre can you criticize in one post?) Their ending is weak, and the frogs, again, have nothing to do with the story.

I tried to preserve the genius of the central idea and the great humor that Aristophanes set up in Dionysus and his servant while trying to fix the other problems I saw in the script. (Again, ridiculous to assume I could "fix" Aristophanes' play, but hey, not all of Shakespeare's plays are perfect either) I differentiated the frogs, and I tied them into the main idea of the play, using the model that Aristophanes had created in The Birds. In my version, the Frogs become huge consumers of pop culture and reality television, which gives thematic resonance. Now they are opposed to Dionysos because they love reality television and they don't want Shakespeare rescued.

Then I dealt with the ending. The battle of wits is inert theatrically - it's two graybeards talking back and forth. Dull. Its my belief that the climax of a comedy ought to be the funniest part of it, (again, Aristophanes did a great job of this in The Birds with the visit of three gods) So I tried to make the ending theatrical - I used Jane Austen instead of Shaw, and still had Shakespeare. Using Jane Austen helped give me a sexist angle I could use in the ending, and allowed me to hit the point that Austen and Shakespeare's plays are just as full of "trash" as reality television. Instead of a battle of wits, each of them has to present a piece of their greatest work, using the frogs as actors. So I end up with a frog version of Pride and Prejudice and a frog version of Romeo and Juliet. It's funny, it's theatrical, and it brings the theme of the play back together.

That ending is pure invention of my part, but it's trying to follow the idea that Aristophanes set up. When I adapt something, I'm trying to be true to the spirit of that work rather than the structure of it.

Anyway, I learned so much more about Greek theatre taking it apart piece by piece and then putting it back together. Perhaps you could do that in your lesson, John, or study them side-by-side if you want.

Hope that helps!
    Don

Don Zolidis
    Cedar Park TX

• 6.  RE: The Frogs

Posted 03-24-2017 14:14
    Hi John, 

We have done this with Shakespeare, Moliere and of course, Aristophanes.We also wrote stage adaptations of two children's books after we obtained permission from the authors. We found that you have to have the right combination of students to do this effectively. You need a group of kids who are good writers, (I mean really talented) are really creative, hard working, love a challenge and don't stop working when they run into difficulties. Not everyone needs to be this amazing, but a good portion of the students need to really buy-in, and the rest will follow. 

We accomplished this in 2 different ways- depending on the groups. (We, have also written it ourselves, after allowing the students to read and brainstorm ideas. Frankly, this is faster and easier, but the students don't get the actual practice of doing the adaptation.) 

1. With a small group, we tackled the whole thing together. More time-consuming, but there are less issues with continuity and "feel"
    2. Dividing the class into strong units, and each group works through a section of the play. If you have equal groups and they all work hard, this takes a lot less time, but if there is a weak group, someone else will end up doing their section over again. Then, the sections inevitably take on the "feel" of the adapting group, so someone (probably you) will have to go through and fix it.

Then, here's the order we found that works with class adaptations. 
    1. With either approach- we tackled the whole thing together, reading it as a class and taking notes, a secretary recorded ideas as we went along. Lots of explaining here since most old scripts are not easily understood by students...normal classroom teaching and discussions. After the first reading we made several decisions. Time period, music (if any), sections that needed cutting, any changes in characters (i.e. if  certain characters could change gender, etc) creative ideas, etc.

After this first step, you can divide into groups, or assign individually.
    2. Research! Students need enough information to be able to intelligently contribute to the adaptation process. So if we decide to set a Shakespeare play in the 50's we need to learn all about that decade.  Let students choose a topic. Music, trends, politics, dress, everyday life, mannerisms, architecture (for set design), etc, etc.

2. Second time through we made changes and worked through the script page by page, adding, changing ideas, etc

3. Repeat the process a 3rd and 4th time, until we felt the script was ready to go. Be prepared to make lots of changes even after you start rehearsals.  You will find holes and things that sound great on paper but don't work on stage. Be prepared to make changes all through the rehearsal process.
    Note: I have found that no matter how awesome the kids are, you will need to be the one who has final say, and you will end up dong a lot of the work yourself in order for it to be audience worthy.

4. The benefits, once you get through it, are enormous! The kids have total buy-in, because they wrote the play themselves. The audience appreciates it more, since they know that the students did the adaptation, and they understand it better as well. 
    Good luck!

PS -After writing all of this...it is a saga! (And the wonderfully talented Don Zolidis was able to give you some excellent advice.) Please feel free to email me with any questions and we can talk about specifics. stempleton@vchsaz.org

Sheri Templeton
    Valley Christian High School
    Chandler, AZ